UKC

The Fifth Element in cinemas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 12 May 2017
It's being shown in cinemas along with a 15 minute preview of Besson's new film Valerian. I'd love to see this, but as far as I know it's only in America. Does anyone know if there are going to be any screenings in the UK?
 Offwidth 13 May 2017
In reply to aln:

There are websites and aps that will find showings of films and the closest to where you live....do a search.
OP aln 13 May 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I've did various searches already, with no joy, before turning to the collective wisdom of UKC. I hoped there might be someone here with some inside information. Are there any of the apps/sites you mentioned that you can recommend?
 Blue Straggler 13 May 2017
In reply to aln:

These long previews seem to be coming into play a bit more these days. I wonder if its a way to generate additional interest in high risk high stakes projects e.g. expensive sci-fi from barely remembered franchises. I saw a preview screening of Free Fire and there was a 12 minute preview of Ghost in the Shell. Essentially it was an entire scene from the film.
We did not know we were getting this preview.
In reply to aln:

Logic suggests that any screening of The Fifth Element in a UK cinema should have this preview.
OP aln 13 May 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Logic suggests that any screening of The Fifth Element in a UK cinema should have this preview.

Indeed. I'll be going to see Valerian anyway, it's the cinema screening of TFE that I'm interested in. So far I haven't found any here.
In reply to aln:

When is Valerian out (I know "There are websites and aps that will find showings of films" but I prefer to ask you )
OP aln 13 May 2017

4th of August
 Blue Straggler 14 May 2017
In reply to aln:

Ta
 Offwidth 14 May 2017
In reply to aln:

Sorry, no, as I don't tend to use them, just know others who do. Pretty much any famous film will be showing somewhere relatively soon given all the independant cinemas around these days. I watch most of my films recorded off free channels on my V box mainly Film 4 and the BBC channels.
OP aln 14 May 2017
You're welcome. I see we've collected some dislikes, I'm beating you 3-1 so far :-D
Post edited at 18:49
 Offwidth 15 May 2017
In reply to aln:

Ignore the children. Hopefully one day UKC will see the sense of removing their red crayon.
 Stichtplate 15 May 2017
In reply to aln:

I managed to collect a load just asking about text books. Post it if you find out its getting a screening. Missed it on the big screen first time round.
 Blue Straggler 16 May 2017
In reply to aln:

London on Thursday, no mention of the Valerian preview

http://www.seetickets.com/tour/the-fifth-element-movie-screening
OP aln 16 May 2017

Thanks. Bit far for me but it's given me hope.
cb294 16 May 2017
In reply to aln:

OK, troll hat on:

I saw the Fifth Element on the big screen back when it came out, but did not get the hype. Bruce Willis running around in his wife beater, bleeding?

I know that passed for acting in the Die Hard films, TFE was the same thing but IN THE FUTURE!!! Great conceptual progress.....

And no, Milla Jovovich did not rescue that car crash of a movie either. Her "acting" was limited to running around wrapped in bog roll. Shame she did not get the Golden Raspberry she was nominated for, it would have been well deserved!

CB
 Blue Straggler 17 May 2017
In reply to cb294:

I felt the same at the time, but with age (both of the film and myself!) its charms seem to have grown.
Chris Tucker is still super-annoying and the whole climax on that cruise ship with the alien opera singer is a bit naff, but the visuals and irreverence to the genre are all good fun.
You have to accept the cheese factor and play along with the notion that the clunking dialogue is quite deliberate.
cb294 17 May 2017

> You have to accept the cheese factor and play along with the notion that the clunking dialogue is quite deliberate.

I have no problem with cheese and clunk in films like Flash Gordon (the version with Queen), where it is obviously done on purpose. TFE? Not so sure, I still think is just a crap film.....

Of course, if you enjoy watching it, good for you! As I tried to make clear from the outset, I am at least half trolling. No fun in slagging off a film that everyone agrees is rubbish.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...