UKC

The Revenent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 05 Jan 2019

Is it worth watching? Thanks.

Removed User 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

depends what you're looking for. Not many laughs in it. Scenery is magnificent though.

OP Phil1919 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

Is it engaging?

wilkie14c 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

The bear scene is terrifying and very realistic (i imagine) 

Jus 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

Seriously good and very engaging!!

Gone for good 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

I enjoyed the film. A good depiction of the hard life of a frontiersman along with its inherent dangers. Dont expect much dialogue. The book is worth a read as well. Written by Michael Punke. 

Removed User 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

I liked it, but I like films about that time period in North America. The story is a bit of a stretch though and I can never help but wonder if, in the same situation, I wouldn't have done the same thing as Tom Hardy's character.

TCP 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

Its a big scenery epic and worth watching - would imagine even better at the cinema. Pretty much full on all the way not too much dialogue.

OP Phil1919 05 Jan 2019
In reply to TCP:

Thanks all.

Removed User 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

Yes, you should not be bored at all. Some of the scrapes he comes through seem a bit unlikely (by my reckoning he should have frozen/starved to death at least 3 times)

Blue Straggler 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

Worth watching for Domnhall Gleeson. Hardy is very good and I can’t really fault DiCaprio but for me Gleeson was weirdly the standout in this

wilkie14c 06 Jan 2019

indeed. I kept thinking that the last thing you’d ever want to do in that terrain was to get wet, they kept doing it though. Didn’t spoil the film though 

Raskye 06 Jan 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

> indeed. I kept thinking that the last thing you’d ever want to do in that terrain was to get wet, they kept doing it though. Didn’t spoil the film though

It did for me. 

GridNorth 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

It is worth watching.  It's also worth noting that is based on the real life exploits of one Hugh Glass.

Al

Trangia 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

I think so, there's a great bivouacking idea in it . You would never have thought of it if you got storm bound, although you would need a horse. 

Removed User 06 Jan 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> It is worth watching.  It's also worth noting that is based on the real life exploits of one Hugh Glass.

> Al

VERY loosely. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass

Removed User 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Trangia:

> I think so, there's a great bivouacking idea in it . You would never have thought of it if you got storm bound, although you would need a horse. 

Interestingly that the idea also appeared in a book called "The Last Crossing" by Guy Vanderhaeghe

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/408037.The_Last_Crossing

Gone for good 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Trangia:

Rob Roy (Liam Neeson) did the same with a Highland coo or a Red deer or something similiar.

Blue Straggler 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

> Rob Roy (Liam Neeson) did the same with a Highland coo or a Red deer or something similiar.

That was for temporary concealment from the bad guys, rather than actual shelter. 

Luke Skywalker did it with a Hoth snow beast.

Gone for good 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Ah. Now I remember.  He was hiding from the Duke of Melroses men ......I think.  

GridNorth 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Of course, everything Hollywood does like this is based very loosely. If things were based on reality they would probably not be entertaining.

Removed User 07 Jan 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> Of course, everything Hollywood does like this is based very loosely. If things were based on reality they would probably not be entertaining.

This is a fair point. But the really intriguing thing here is that even the originally embellished "true" story had to be changed by Hollywood in order to justify the "revenge" aspect. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie and I also read the book but the idea that it was true is a little too far.

GridNorth 07 Jan 2019

I said "based on the exploits of" which is not saying it's true so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Babika 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

> Is it worth watching? Thanks.

Yes.

Turn the heating on though - I felt jolly cold most of the way through. 

bleddynmawr 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

This might have been the original inspiration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childe%27s_Tomb

Gone for good 07 Jan 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

The streets of UKC are littered with pedants. 

In reply to Phil1919:

Great film, not much laughter or romance in it though.  Or smiling.

Blue Straggler 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

> The streets of UKC are littered with pedants. 

None of whom have pointed out the spelling in the thread title

Siward 07 Jan 2019

Tauntaun. 

OP Phil1919 07 Jan 2019

Just finished watching it. Very good. Kept me engrossed all the way through. Yes, I think a few of them would have died of hypothermia.....exposure to water. Great scenery, and some good inventive scenes. I think in terms of gruesomeness however, it was topped by the heroine having her teeth pulled on Les Miserables last night.   

Removed User 07 Jan 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> I said "based on the exploits of" which is not saying it's true so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Not really targeted at you. Just making the point to the general audience of this thread that the story is contrived...……..but good

OP Phil1919 07 Jan 2019

Am I right in thinking Leonardo DiCaprio got some criticism for his role in the film? Vaguely remember this? What was it for?   

Pinch'a'salt 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

Well worth a watch but don't make the mistake I made of watching it on the trans-atlantic flight over to Canada en route to spend a month in polar bear territory on Baffin Island... not the best way of giving yourself peace of mind..!

Post edited at 19:42
 Blue Straggler 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil1919:

> Am I right in thinking Leonardo DiCaprio got some criticism for his role in the film? Vaguely remember this? What was it for?   

He is an outspoken "environmentalist" so some people decided to call him out regarding the location shooting of The Revenant bringing pollutants into a Nice Part Of The World (then people dug up pictures of him being transported - in different bits of the world and nothing to do with The Revenant) in various vehicles that use fossil fuels. It was all a bit pathetic. 

OP Phil1919 08 Jan 2019

Ah yes, thanks.

GridNorth 08 Jan 2019

I seem to recall the issue was that he was "gadding about" in private jets.

dan gibson 08 Jan 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> It is worth watching.  It's also worth noting that is based on the real life exploits of one Hugh Glass.

> Al

One of the oldest tricks in the fiction genre is to imply that what you are reading/watching is based on a real event.

Used very successfully by Daniel Defoe when promoting Robinson Crusoe. Way ahead of his time...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...