UKC

The video for Tina Turner’s “The Best”

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 04 Mar 2021

Is this a contender for most unintentionally hilarious “what were they thinking?!” pop video for massive major-label star? To her credit, Tina doesn’t look convinced by the whole thing!

youtube.com/watch?v=GC5E8ie2pdM&

Tom Valentine 04 Mar 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

It's watchable.

Removed User 04 Mar 2021

The Gelding and the Gilf...

Removed User 05 Mar 2021

It was the same era that gave us Cher on a battleship - the first time lady rock that had previously been whining hippies or cute fashion models caught up with the stadium-power of the guys like Prince & Bryan Adams. It was bound to be weird as these women didn't have guitars to hide behind, this being an era still a few years away from the DJ revolution.

Worth noting too, that film clip was basically acted out live before millions with one of the greatest stage performances of any decade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JspmgPtAFMg&t=12s

And at her best  youtube.com/watch?v=2rJGX8uqoL8&

In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

thanks for those, especially the reminder that Tommy is a wonderfully crazy film! 

NorthernGrit 05 Mar 2021

I don't think it's as bad as the fact two colossuses brought us this:

youtube.com/watch?v=DOBFzb83Pl0&

(the silent video version being a possible contender in the internet's best video thread  youtube.com/watch?v=BHkhIjG0DKc&)(

In reply to NorthernGrit:

Before checking your link, I had a hunch that it was going to be that one 😃

Fun trivia - the Michael Caine / Steve Martin film “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels” was initially conceived as a vehicle for Jagger and Bowie based on the popularity of their double act in the Dancin’ in the Street video. The mind truly boggles 

In reply to NorthernGrit:

that silent video version is indeed a work of absolute genius, thanks 

Removed User 05 Mar 2021

> thanks for those, especially the reminder that Tommy is a wonderfully crazy film! 

It is in't it. Everything about it is so true to the operatic drama scale, KR did a fantastic job of it I think and I think TT's scene is among the best bits - the face off with Oliver Reed is amazing, imagine filming that scene.

In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

I think Ann-Margret remains the only leading  actor Oscar nominee in an entirely singing role, for Tommy. 

we digressed very quickly

I think “The Best” warrants some discussion. Is she a horse-spirit, or reincarnation of a horse? Is she in Hangar 18 ?

Why does the white haired sax player have no face?

It is very confusing, all of it 

Post edited at 18:43
Removed User 07 Mar 2021

I'm pretty sure the saxophonist and the horse are the same guy.

'The Best'? As far as beautiful women dancing with horses goes - not even close  youtube.com/watch?v=UZ_JArt_DuI&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...