UKC

This run of Dr Who

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 27 Apr 2013
I have to admit that I never really liked Matt Smith as the Doctor. I found the stories and plots so-so. Pond was ok but there was never really that spark of excitement.

That all changed with this new serise, and probably got a lot to do with the new sidekick, Clara who is sex on a stick. They both gel very well and I've found myself gripped to the edge of my seat in the same way I did with the previous two doctors but never with Matt Smith.

I hope these two stay together for ages. And that skimpy dress of tonight was ho so very dare you.
 wilkie14c 27 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> Clara who is sex on a stick. I've found myself gripped to the edge of my seat

That ain't the edge of your seat you are gripping mate
As blackpool girls go yea, she's hot! I've only seen 1 & 2 so far but have 3 & 4 ready to watch
OP The Lemming 27 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Wait till tonight's episode as you will be trying your hardest to spot those knickers.

The Pylon King 27 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes she looked very lovely tonight.
 Conf#2 27 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

3 is actually scary, like actual dr whos used to be.

(She is real hot)
In reply to confusicating:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
>
> 3 is actually scary, like actual dr whos used to be.
>
> (She is real hot)

That is a bit of an understatement.

Conf#2 27 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Which bit?
 Philip 27 Apr 2013
She played a lesbian. In Emmerdale Farm - perhaps she would reprise that with Billie if Rose Tyler reappears.
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> Which bit?

I was referring to your second comment about Clara.
 wilkie14c 27 Apr 2013
In reply to Philip:
> She played a character that happened to be a lesbian. In Emmerdale Farm - perhaps she would reprise that with Billie if Rose Tyler reappears.

corrected that for you

Conf#2 27 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Ah ok. Fair enough =-) Maybe that's the case.
 Conf#2 27 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Lowercase bit
 Philip 27 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Philip)
> [...]
>
> corrected that for you

No you haven't, it's still badly written.
 waterbaby 27 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm so behind with this series but the jury is still out for me.
She might have a spark but it's not doing it for me yet. In fact I was thinking of giving up on Dr Who.
 Conf#2 27 Apr 2013
In reply to waterbaby:

Pretty much gave up two series ago. They've saved the world with love too many times for it to be fun any more.
 wilkie14c 28 Apr 2013

> 3 is actually scary, like actual dr whos used to be.

You never warned me 3 was gonna be a wet tee shirt one! aye carumba

she has fantastic eyes, puts me in mind of Christina Ricci in 'monster' <great film, shocking story>
 The Pylon King 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

No, much nicer in her Dr who dresses.

Shes got nice legs.
 Blue Straggler 28 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't watch Dr. Who.

From still images think this new girl looks more like a wholesome Blue Peter presenter than some sort of sexpot. Not that the two are mutually exclusive (see: Janet Ellis circa 1983)

Girl-next-doors are usually the most sexy.

yeah, i was a big fan of Janet Ellis

I worked with her daughter as well
 Blue Straggler 28 Apr 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:

There goes your afternoon:
youtube.com/watch?v=oKotNStHkKU&
 Toby S 28 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

It's crap. Aye, Clara is easy on the eye but it's turned into the kind of crud that would be better off on CBBC. It's not remotely scary or tense anymore. Last week's had the potential to be very good but quickly turned back into schmaltz.
 knthrak1982 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Toby S:
>
> It's crap. Aye, Clara is easy on the eye but it's turned into the kind of crud that would be better off on CBBC. It's not remotely scary or tense anymore. Last week's had the potential to be very good but quickly turned back into schmaltz.

Agreed.
 Steve nevers 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Toby S:
>
> It's crap. Aye, Clara is easy on the eye but it's turned into the kind of crud that would be better off on CBBC. It's not remotely scary or tense anymore. Last week's had the potential to be very good but quickly turned back into schmaltz.

Agreed again.

Although ep 4 was the first of this series that the Doctor didn't come across like some obsessive stalker, 1 & 2 were pretty uncomfortable to watch.
 Only a hill 28 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
I sometimes think people expect a bit too much of Doctor Who. The more heavyweight storylines and the 'real' science fiction tends to end up in Torchwood, which is a show better equipped to deal with the meatier issues. Was Doctor Who genuinely anything more than light-hearted soft-SF entertainment?
 MJ 28 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

It's totally unfair that the Doctor has multiple lives, when his fans don't even have one...
 knthrak1982 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Fair point. To me, accepting the difficulties of trying combine real sci-fi with all round family entertainment, the two areas where I prefer the old to the new are:

1. Cliff hangers and multi-episode serials. Yes, some of them did drag, and is difficult with longer episodes, but I miss them.

2. Why do we need this sexual tension "will they? won't they? " stuff between the young attractive doctor and his young attractive female companion? To me, it makes the show too "soap opera."
Graeme G 28 Apr 2013
In reply to knthrak1982:

2nd Agree. Pond and co were fun and the story's grabbed my attention but I'm already well behind with this series and I'm not sure I can be arsed catching up.

Main point, in the first episode they completely failed to create a character for Clara. Hot, yes....real, no.
 wercat 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Depends how long you have been watching it. I agree entirely with what you re implying re the revived DR Who, but in the 60s, and indeed occasionally the 70s, it was sometimes quite chilling and very definitely proper SF. But of course stories were developed over several episodes and a "season" was most of the year! Sometimes you didn't find out what the threat was until 2 or 3 weeks in. Cheap props etc and costumes but the actors often took it seriously enough.
 wilkie14c 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
> I sometimes think people expect a bit too much of Doctor Who. The more heavyweight storylines and the 'real' science fiction tends to end up in Torchwood, which is a show better equipped to deal with the meatier issues. Was Doctor Who genuinely anything more than light-hearted soft-SF entertainment?

Agreed. Doctor Who is targetted towards 10 to early teens kids. Look at the facts - prime time weekends, pre watershed and any 'fans' need only pick up the doctor Who magazine at the shops to find nothing of adult value in it all and it is shelved with all the other comics & youngster magazines, we adults try to reconnect with it because of our own bond with it from when we were that age. We need to face it, the Doctor isn't going to be getting jiggy with anyone anytime soon and people who are expecting that are reading far too much into it!
I find the writer makes a big difference, the Stephen Moffat episodes tend to be better and more gripping for me.
 wilkie14c 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
> Main point, in the first episode they completely failed to create a character for Clara. Hot, yes....real, no.

Its building, the doctor is always asking 3rd parties about 'who she is' <Clara> Like River, a very slow release of the full story
OP The Lemming 28 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
> [...]
>
>
> Agreed. Doctor Who is targetted towards 10 to early teens kids.

If you keep this in mind and are young at heart then Dr Who will never fail to entertain you.

Pond had great legs but no rack. River was the whole package and you can just tell that Clara would be up for dirty dirty deeds.
 wilkie14c 28 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
> [...]
>
> If you keep this in mind and are young at heart then Dr Who will never fail to entertain you.

Yep, I've enjoyed watching it with my lads and now they have outgrown it but I still watch it. We went to the Doctor Who EXPO at earls court a few years ago - all the props and monsters from the Ecclestone and early Tennant doctors. It was great, the tardis, the ood masks, the darleks and I've actually touched the maids outfit that Kylie wore in the Xmas special <titanic> but sadly Kylie wasn't inside it at the time
 Alpenglow 28 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Anyone else notice the Matrix Tech axe that one of the salvage crew was using?
 toad 28 Apr 2013
In reply to blackreaver:
> (In reply to The Lemming) Anyone else notice the Matrix Tech axe that one of the salvage crew was using?

If I'm honest, I've come back expecting an entire thread devoted to the subject
 noteviljoe 28 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming: I hate the new side kick. She has the acting ability of a stone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...