UKC

TV to cheer you up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 20 Oct 2018

If you need cheering up a bit like I did last night, I thought 'Would I Lie to You' was particularly good last night. 

Tom Valentine 20 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

In spite of some desperately anti-comedic moments in the last two episodes, "Get Shorty" managed to finish in a nicely up-beat way (no spoiler there because it is actually supposed to be funny)...

toad 20 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

Upstart Crow is a proper old fashioned sitcom

d_b 21 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

All TV should make you feel empty because it, along with gaming and arguing on the internet are the canonical wastes of time.

Your life is now shorter than it was, and if you take the time to disagree it will be shorter still.

OP Phil1919 21 Oct 2018
In reply to d_b:

No I agree. Haven't got a telly. Watch a bit of iplayer.

bouldery bits 21 Oct 2018
In reply to d_b:

Why are you here then??

Removed User 21 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

The first four series of Inside No.9 is on iplayer. The best thing on telly in many decades.

In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

> The first four series of Inside No.9 is on iplayer. The best thing on telly in many decades.

But would you say it was cheering?

In reply to d_b:

> All TV should make you feel empty because it, along with gaming and arguing on the internet are the canonical wastes of time.

> Your life is now shorter than it was, and if you take the time to disagree it will be shorter still.

Is reading a book a waste of time?

Is watching a play a waste of time?

Is watching the news a waste of time?

Is reading a newspaper a waste of time?

TV is a conduit. "All TV is a waste of time"? If that is so what isn't a waste of time?

planetmarshall 22 Oct 2018
In reply to d_b:

> All TV should make you feel empty because it, along with gaming and arguing on the internet are the canonical wastes of time.

Everything is a waste of time as we hurtle into a dying sun at a thousand miles per hour, awaiting the eventual heat death of the universe. Isolated, cold and alone.

Have a nice day!

ripper 22 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

Whereas climbing (sometimes not even to the top of) a bit of random rock is filled with deep cosmic purpose?

Post edited at 14:07
Lusk 22 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

> Haven't got a telly. Watch a bit of iplayer.

I trust you've got a valid TV licence.

OP Phil1919 22 Oct 2018
In reply to Lusk:

Yes. Radio 4's worth it on its own. 

The Lemming 22 Oct 2018
In reply to Lusk:

> I trust you've got a valid TV licence.

You don't need a license to watch iPlayer. The licence is for recieving live broadcast stuff.

Gone for good 22 Oct 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> You don't need a license to watch iPlayer. The licence is for recieving live broadcast stuff.

I don't think that's accurate!  

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Removed User 22 Oct 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Incorrect, as I found out last year after being very assertive with two licence goons who came to the door.

The New NickB 22 Oct 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> You don't need a license to watch iPlayer. The licence is for recieving live broadcast stuff.

As others have pointed out, you do. The law changed in the last couple of years. You might also notice a pop up before you watch a programme on iPlayer asking you to confirm that you have got a licence.

planetmarshall 22 Oct 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

That used to be the case but the law changed in 2016 to require a license to watch any broadcast content, live or on demand.

The Lemming 23 Oct 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

> That used to be the case but the law changed in 2016 to require a license to watch any broadcast content, live or on demand.

Very crafty. 

deacondeacon 23 Oct 2018
In reply to toad:

> Upstart Crow is a proper old fashioned sitcom

I like David Mitchell, I don't mind a bit of Shakespeare but just couldn't get on with this. Tried for 5 minutes and gave up, perhaps I should try again. 

In reply to deacondeacon:

> I like David Mitchell, I don't mind a bit of Shakespeare but just couldn't get on with this. Tried for 5 minutes and gave up, perhaps I should try again. 

Fitfully funny at best. I only got 2 episodes in before failing to generate any more enthusiasm for it.

Les Trois Etangs 23 Oct 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

> That used to be the case but the law changed in 2016 to require a license to watch any broadcast content, live or on demand.

You need a license to watch any video broadcast live and to watch iplayer. You don't need a license to listen to radio live or to watch on demand other than iplayer.

I do not have a TV License and have plenty to watch without breaking the law. The BBC is pretty cr#p these days and an appalling mouthpiece for our neo-liberal rulers. Much better (IMO) value is to be had from subscriptions for films and concerts, itvplayer etc

It is a thoroughly illogical law which needs revamping. We could have a whole thread discussing the reform of the BBC.

Oh yes, and don't speak to those TV License goons who appear at your front door. Just close the door in their face like you would to any other debt collector to whom you don't owe any money.

wercat 23 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

> If you need cheering up a bit like I did last night, I thought 'Would I Lie to You' was particularly good last night. 

Have enjoyed one or two glamorously fashionable episodes of UFO being shown on some Freeview channel at the moment (Forces TV?)

nufkin 23 Oct 2018
In reply to Les Trois Etangs:

>  The BBC is pretty cr#p these days and an appalling mouthpiece for our neo-liberal rulers

Haven't people been saying similar things pretty much since it was founded, regardless of what it was producing and who was running the government? 

OP Phil1919 23 Oct 2018

I watch BBC partly because it doesn't do adverts. Again, worth the licence fee on its own. 

In reply to nufkin:

> Haven't people been saying similar things pretty much since it was founded, regardless of what it was producing and who was running the government? 

Probably. The difference in quality is my biggest gripe. Take a look at a BBC2 schedule from the sixties They had more interesting programmes in the few hours it was on air than all of their channels do now.

Clarence 23 Oct 2018
In reply to Phil1919:

Netflix currently has Paradise PD. This and its predecessor Brickleberry are my goto laugh out loud shows. They are in such  gloriously juvenile bad taste.

Tom Valentine 24 Oct 2018

You have a brilliant career ahead of you on UKC.

Can I jump in first?

Where do you stand on

clipsticks

rewilding

boxing

preparation and cooking of poultry

?

Les Trois Etangs 26 Oct 2018
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> You have a brilliant career ahead of you on UKC.

> Can I jump in first?

> Where do you stand on

> clipsticks

> rewilding

> boxing

> preparation and cooking of poultry

> ?

"Time for Bed" said Florence, Boing said Zebedee!

Post edited at 22:01
 Tom Valentine 27 Oct 2018

I don't think the BBC is pretty crap these days. That would be a silly generalisation, I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...