UKC

Vertical Limit on NOw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 30 Sep 2012
There it is, it's on Chanel 5 now.
I saw this a long time ago and thought it was a little bit silly but fun. The first 15 minutes so far have left me chuckling, it's more a comedy than anything else
Removed User 30 Sep 2012
In reply to puppythedog:

You might appreciate this.

youtube.com/watch?v=uxtg7raPDYo&
OP Puppythedog 30 Sep 2012
In reply to puppythedog: "Dyno Cam"
 Peakpdr 30 Sep 2012
In reply to puppythedog: Thanks for the warning will make sure the kids dont put it on c5
 Blue Straggler 30 Sep 2012
In reply to people who tediously slag off such films:

It is a pretty good film. It is not a good "how to" technical documentary, but it works well as a film. There are incorrect details in all sorts of representations of procedures and techniques in the vast majority of films that have been made for entertainment.
Do you think that (random example of "serious" film) Se7en is in anyway realistic in its depiction of police procedures? And if not, then do you shout up and make a big fuss about its inaccuracies at every opportunity?
 pauljackson 30 Sep 2012
In reply to puppythedog: "Dyno Cam" was the best bit by miles!
In reply to Blue Straggler: as someone who tediously slags off such films. One of the challenges with any dramatic representation is when you are unable to suspend disbelief. Or at least that is the case for me. It is an okay film, I now find some of the technical details very funny because I know a bit more. I would have struggled to call it a good film before this, the acting is not very good, the characterisation is shallow and the story has just as little depth. I did however enjoy the boy's own adventure aspects of the film.
Do I think that Se7en is a realistic depiction? Of course not but perhaps more so with that film I was able to suspend my disbelief.
 Blue Straggler 30 Sep 2012
In reply to puppythedog:

That is a fair response, thank you. I have watched the DVD with the director and producer commentary and they do address the silliness of some of the technical aspects of the climbing, saying something like "oh well of course a number of climbers have come to us and said 'this is unconvincing', but, well, this isn't a film FOR climbers - this is Hollywood".

I think that all those involved in making the film knew that they were exaggerating situations and being over the top. I also think that non-climbing audiences would have figured this out too.

I was able to suspend disbelief apart from the unstable nitro-glycerine stuff. The acting is acceptable. It is really well shot, a lot of it on location too, on Mt. Cook. The dialogue is often laughable admittedly.

My guess is that you were more able to suspend disbelief with Se7en than with VL because you know about climbing but not about forensics and manhunts and cat-and-mouse cop/killer procedures. I quietly hope there are police forums on the Internet where people post "hilarious" threads about all the inaccuracies in crime thriller movies
In reply to Blue Straggler: I suspect there are ignorance is bliss. I thought the scenery was brilliant and I harbour ridiculous ambitions to climb high and or difficult hills so anything reminiscent of that is going to entertain me.
 Euge 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to puppythedog)
I quietly hope there are police forums on the Internet where people post "hilarious" threads about all the inaccuracies in crime thriller movies

I would love to see that site... sign me up

E
 Blue Straggler 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Euge:

You can probably find such threads in the threads for specific movies on imdb.com, there are a lot of nutjobs out there. There was a long long argument about the trailer for Avengers: Assemble, just bickering about whether Black Widow was holding and reloading her guns realistically. Just as an example.
In reply to puppythedog:

http://blue-straggler.net/miTunes/Amateurs.mp3

"It's not gonna be just snow...I mean...its - it's got ice and rock"
http://blue-straggler.net/miTunes/Ice-and-rock.mp3
OP Puppythedog 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler: Merely some context for the audience I get really quite irritated with depictions of mental illness in Film and television, that is a damn sight more harmful than Dyno-Cam weilding, NitroGliceryn Pooring, K2 climbing adventure films
 PeterM 01 Oct 2012
In reply to puppythedog:

Cringeworthy acting..just a shite film...
In reply to puppythedog:

Good point, I remember everyone raving about Rain Man and how it was educating the world about autism. Dear oh dear...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...