UKC

Want an intro to Philosophy? Try Star Trek TNG

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 05 Feb 2014
I loved this as a kid and have been revisiting it on the Syfy channel recently.

It deals with a remarkable range of philosophical topics. AI, morality, personal identity, medical ethics, equality, aesthetics, logic and of course philosophy of science, it's all in there.

Just wanted to share that.
 The Potato 05 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

mmm Crusher....
OP DaveHK 05 Feb 2014
In reply to ow arm:

That too.
 The Potato 05 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I wonder what the philosophical story was in the episode when Barclay turns in to a superhuman spider creature?
In reply to ow arm:

Surely there's existential connotations to such an occurrence?
OP DaveHK 05 Feb 2014
In reply to ow arm:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
>
> I wonder what the philosophical story was in the episode when Barclay turns in to a superhuman spider creature?

Have you read The Metamorphosis?

Choss 05 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I Learnt all my Philosophy From pingu.
OP DaveHK 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

That explains a lot.
 The Potato 05 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

ive just ordered a copy off amazon for 1.60. im a fan of Lovecraft so anything like that should be good.

incidentally the star trek books ive read (here there be dragons, is one for example) are also quite good
 d_b 13 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Star Trek is just government propaganda from a particularly nasty military dictatorship.

Blakes 7 tells the other side of the story, but is also horribly biased of course.
 The Lemming 13 Feb 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

I think you will find that Quark was bang on the money, with his outlook on life.
 Offwidth 13 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:
Its a pleasant show for a time when you need a little mindless escapism but it all gets a bit simplisticly samey and preachy at times. To think folk complain about moral force feeding from the likes of Dr Who which is after all for kids.
Post edited at 16:05
 Flinticus 18 Feb 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Look no further than the Stargate series and spin-offs. Also much more humour, action and all the ethical dilemmas etc too.
 MtnGeekUK 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

+1.

Now, give me Carter over Crusher or Troi any day of the week - especially when she had 'bob' cut...
 Flinticus 19 Feb 2014
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

And it nows seems prescient: US army due to start tests in next two years on an electromagnetic rail gun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...