UKC

Whats the Best Climbing films out at the moment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PhilMW 03 Sep 2019

Obviously the two main contenders are Free Solo and The Dawn Wall, but what else is out there worth a watch?

In reply to PhilMW:

> Obviously the two main contenders are Free Solo and The Dawn Wall, but what else is out there worth a watch?

Although not current .  I personally find " Valley uprising " to be my favorite. 

The combination of different eras and characters and their rivalry , with great music and footage from the time is wonderful I think.

I can watch that over and over again. 

Pbob 03 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

Vertical Limit - absolutely hilarious

jethro kiernan 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

I’ve probably enjoyed that the most of the recent crop, certainly bears the most rewatching 

OP PhilMW 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Pbob:

And while we are at it, Cliffhanger.... Lol

OP PhilMW 04 Sep 2019

I'll have a look for that one. Cheers..

OP PhilMW 06 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

445 views and yet only 6 comments..... no-one else must watch DVDs anymore....

nufkin 06 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

>  no-one else must watch DVDs anymore

Very Oughties, DVDs. Plus maybe folk today don't have the attention span to sit through a full hour+

I have several fond favourites, but I reckon First Ascent is still one of the better made climbing films

In reply to PhilMW:

> And while we are at it, Cliffhanger.... Lol

I think it's mentioned somewhere that "cliffhanger" was very very loosely inspired by story recounted in "Valley Uprising" of the plane that crashed in the mountain lake carrying 6 tonnes of weed,  the climbers heard about and went to retrieve .  Cutting it out with chainsaws and going on to sell it for fistfuls of cash and living it up /buying houses. 

I seem to think someone mentioning one of the climbers ended pitching the story to Hollywood .

I can't of dreamt this ?

TWS

graeme jackson 06 Sep 2019

> I think it's mentioned somewhere that "cliffhanger" was very very loosely inspired by story recounted in "Valley Uprising" of the plane that crashed in the mountain lake carrying 6 tonnes of weed,  the climbers heard about and went to retrieve .  Cutting it out with chainsaws and going on to sell it for fistfuls of cash and living it up /buying houses. 

> I seem to think someone mentioning one of the climbers ended pitching the story to Hollywood .

> I can't of dreamt this ?

It has a faint ring of David Harris's Vortex that I read years ago in the One Step in the Clouds omnibus

> TWS

In reply to graeme jackson:

I've found it . 

John Long

Long joined teenage climbers John Bachar, Rick Accomazzo, Richard Harrison, Tobin Sorenson, Robs Muir, Gib Lewis (climber), Lynn Hill, Jim Wilson, and Mike Graham as founding members of an elite group known as the "Stonemasters"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Long_(climber)

Starting in 1980, Long began working for David Frost Productions, writing and producing ABC and BBC specials, including the International Guinness Book of World Records, which also became a long-running syndicated series. Moving into feature films in the 1990s, Long worked on the second unit for dozens of motion pictures, including the Rambo series. His novella, Rogue’s Babylon, was the basis for Sylvester Stallone's hit movie, Cliffhanger. 

Post edited at 14:47
OP PhilMW 06 Sep 2019
In reply to nufkin:

Not heard that one , First Ascent. I shall have a look

Pedro50 06 Sep 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

> It has a faint ring of David Harris's Vortex that I read years ago in the One Step in the Clouds omnibus

Yes and also Angels of Light by Jeff Long. 

PaulJepson 06 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

2 others not mentioned that I very much enjoyed:

Dirtbag: The Legend of Fred Beckey

Safety Third (Brad Gobright)

Charlie Noakes 06 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

West Coast Gimps

louiswain 06 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

Boogie 'til you Poop

afx22 07 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

Reel Rock 12 - Break On Through - Margo Hayes.  Very inspiring.

planetmarshall 07 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

> Obviously the two main contenders are Free Solo and The Dawn Wall, but what else is out there worth a watch?

"Stumped" is better than either of them.

kolkrabe 08 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

I thoroughly enjoyed Transition, I've watched it several times now.

Tyler 08 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

Amazon Prime video has a surprising number including Dirtbag which is brilliant

OP PhilMW 16 Sep 2019

I watched Valley Uprising at the weekend. Good call! Thanks for the heads-up!

RX-78 16 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

"The last climb: Eric Jones" on BBC player recently was good.

In reply to PhilMW:

I thought the Wide Boyz film (on Amazon Prime) was excellent.

OP PhilMW 16 Sep 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I watched that on Friday night. Very good film. Stevie Haston is such a grumpy bugger!! Lol. But right. It needed to be properly!

OP PhilMW 16 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

I recommend Africa Fusion also if its not been seen by anyone. Amazon Prime!

OP PhilMW 16 Sep 2019
In reply to RX-78:

I shall give it a go! cheers

n-stacey 16 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

Meru.

Niall_li 26 Sep 2019
In reply to n-stacey:

I'll second Meru really enjoyed it! you can buy it on youtube to watch

Chapstick 28 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

Have a look at the red bull tv app. It’s got a climbing channel with some really good films on it 

In reply to PhilMW:

Obvs Cliffhanger, it’s due it’s annual watch in our house. Otherwise Ben and Jerry’s The Real Thing. Banging tunes, hot hatches, and watch the boys sending hard stuff in Font. Make up the set with ‘80s Birth of Extreme, One Summer, and Stick It. The birth of modern climbing in 4 videos.

freeflyer 28 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

Has anyone seen Psycho Vertical?

I like Jen Randall's other work, particularly the one on Moffat. Unfortunately the distribution arrangements don't appear to have included the south of England or else I missed them.

Andy Farnell 19 Oct 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

Stone Monkey is quite good. 

Andy F

bouldery bits 19 Oct 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

Life on Hold remains the best bouldering film ever. 

Sean Kelly 21 Oct 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

Free Solo on tonight, ch4 @1.45am.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...