UKC

Where Blade Runner 2049 failed...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 05 Sep 2019

Ghost in the Shell (2017) succeeded.

The critics have it wrong. Honestly, BR 2049 did nothing for me. It is a pale shadow of Blade Runner.

For another angle on the whole question of what is consciousness / AI, I recommend Ghost in the Shell. Wonderful imagery and special effects. A better torch bearer for Blade Runner and the questions it raised than its sequel. 

Deadeye 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I just watched the first 10 minutes.

I guess our tastes are different.

That seemed to be video-game standard in both visuals and story.  Deus Ex was OK but it's not Blade Runner.

Bobling 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Q: Where Blade Runner 2049 failed...

A: Nowhere.

Clauso 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

For me, despite raising my hopes, it didn't feature enough speed skating. 

alan moore 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Just watching Bladerunner 2049 for the second time around and really enjoying it. There is a lot of back story and timeline to take in that are easily missed. Watching it on a HD TVs so everything looks like a cartoon though.

I read Ghost in the Shell when it came out and saw the anime which was not bad for a short. Found the live-action fun and cringeworthy in equal amounts.

Either way, can't beat an androids and electric sheep story...

In reply to Flinticus:

Ghost in the Shell: Enjoyed the original anime. Thought the live action (2017) was a rather empty shell.

Blade Runner 2049: not as good as its predecessor but pretty fine given the potential for crushing disappointment. Actually looking forward to another installment.

tjdodd 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

BR 2049 was, in my view, great. Visually spectacular and interesting story that built on the original.

For another really good film on consciousness/AI I thought Ex Machina was pretty special.

In reply to tjdodd:

> BR 2049 was, in my view, great. Visually spectacular and interesting story that built on the original.

> For another really good film on consciousness/AI I thought Ex Machina was pretty special.

It's arguably better than the original.

It has the charm/visual look of the original and actual detective work is done , but with a better story with more action .

I'm looking forward to Villeneuve's version of Dune.

I've read all the original books and loved the David Lynch version even though it was a big departure from the books .

Bobling 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> I'm looking forward to Villeneuve's version of Dune.

> I've read all the original books and loved the David Lynch version even though it was a big departure from the books .

Say what now? I hadn't realised that was being remade!  It's another childhood classic for me. Let's hope the remake is as good as BR2049..."He is the Quizat Haderach!"

toad 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Ghost is very pretty, i enjoyed it the other night, but its quite simple compared to Bladerunner. 

toad 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Bobling:

I bluddy love Dune, even if its bananas and made dogmeat of the book (s). My mrs is adamant 3rd stage guild navigators are much later in the series

tjdodd 06 Sep 2019

Yes, really looking forward to the new Dune.  Looks like end of next year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(2020_film)

Loved the Dune books and can't really remember the David Lynch film (but did see it in the distant past).

Some interesting comments in the Wikipedia article about the Star Wars films and how they are basically Dune.  Never thought of that before.

In reply to Bobling:

"We have just folded space from Ix...Many machines on Ix. New machines."

"Oh. Yes."

"Better than those on Richese."

I love that.

:-D

graeme jackson 06 Sep 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

> Loved the Dune books and can't really remember the David Lynch film (but did see it in the distant

I preferred he TV mini series to the David Lynch film.  Seemed to follow the books a bit closer.

Bobling 06 Sep 2019

"I did not say this.  I am not here."  Loved that, for a just-adolescent mind the political duplicity of this blew me away.  Still use myself from time to time (when I am formenting war between squabbling factions for my own sinister purposes).

OP Flinticus 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Bobling:

In all aspects it was a lesser movie to the first. 

Like Trainspotting 2, though that was awful

OP Flinticus 06 Sep 2019

DL's Dune is a classic. I love it and have watched it many times. 'He who controls the spice...'

In reply to Flinticus:

> DL's Dune is a classic. I love it and have watched it many times. 'He who controls the spice...'

It is .

It was badly received at the time and still overlooked in so many ways .   There were so many problems in production that it's a miracle it was made.

I just don't find any of the film dull.   It's a stunning , odd but stunning.

I'm glad others like it as much as me .

:-D

Bobling 06 Sep 2019

And don't forget it has a Brian Eno track in the soundtrack!

ScottTalbot 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I really liked Blade Runner 2049!

I also quite liked Ghost in the Shell, but wouldn't say it was as good as BR.

Iamgregp 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Yeah another up vote for BR 2049.  I really enjoyed it.

Offwidth 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

I'm another who thought BR 2049 much better than the new TGITS (and that the anime version was better). I also felt Lynch's Dune was much better than the critics said but that the mini-series would usually be preferred by fans of the book.

Post edited at 18:04
 Tom Valentine 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Sound quality. My hearing is fine but there were crucial sections of dialogue in BR2949 made inaudible through background noise. I don't think I am alone in saying this.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Sound quality. My hearing is fine but there were crucial sections of dialogue in BR2949 made inaudible through background noise. I don't think I am alone in saying this.

That could very well be a result of the cinema itself.  I got that with "mortal engines".  We complained and got free tickets as they said one of the amps had gone down on the fancy XP system (or whatever it was called)

I didn't notice anything wrong with BR2049

deepsoup 07 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> For another angle on the whole question of what is consciousness / AI, I recommend Ghost in the Shell.

Yes, fair point.  It tackles those interesting topics almost as well as the original Robocop.

HansStuttgart 07 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

BR: 10

BR49: 8

GitS:8

GitS Innocence: 9

GitS live action: 7

BR49 failed in not having Rutger Hauer and not having sufficient thematic depth

Post edited at 19:23
 planetmarshall 07 Sep 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> Ghost in the Shell (2017) succeeded.

A pale shadow of a hugely overrated original.

> It's arguably better than the original.

I don't think there's anything arguable about it. It's a far more complete film in every respect. Blade Runner is largely a triumph of style over substance - but *what* style - and that iconic speech from Rutger Hauer.

In reply to toad:

> I bluddy love Dune, even if its bananas and made dogmeat of the book (s).

I rather enjoyed it - but then if David Lynch directed an episode of Love Island I'd probably watch it.

Blue Straggler 09 Sep 2019
In reply to fans of David Lynch’s Dune:

I like it but only BECAUSE I’ve read it ...

anyway this is hard to argue with. Click on all the picture links for funny captions....

It’s changed my perception of Bruce Springsteen

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/behind-scenes-at/

In reply to planetmarshall:

> I don't think there's anything arguable about it. It's a far more complete film in every respect. Blade Runner is largely a triumph of style over substance - but *what* style - and that iconic speech from Rutger Hauer.

The arguably was inserted to not offend anyone's sensibility really.

I completely agree.  

I like the original but it's very much style over substance . The sequel has both .

Post edited at 08:37
 Offwidth 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Cheers, thats really funny .

All the SciFi epics, in fact all major films, could do with such treatment.

Blue Straggler 14 Sep 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> in fact all major films, could do with such treatment.

YouTube “Honest Trailers”’channel 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...