UKC

your favourite film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
redsonja 26 Apr 2013
I have an evening off work, which seems to be a rare thing nowadays. Im settling down to watch The Great Escape, which is my all time favourite film. whats yours?
 Jon Stewart 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

The Network

or is it

Festen

or maybe

The Wrestler

or for something lighter

Living In Oblivion

or could it be

The Shining

or maybe

The Big Lebowski

or even

Being John Malcovich

or is it

Volver?
 DaveHK 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

I love Miller's Crossing.

and Excalibur (the John Boorman one)
In reply to heidi123:
Dr Strangelove.
Green-Winged Orchid 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: The Outlaw Josey Wales.

I watched Gran Torino the other night. Not as good.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: As Good as it Gets
Pinged 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

The Outlaw Josey Wales or The Big Lebowski. Can't decide.
 iksander 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: Not the worthiest films, but I love the Hellboy duo
 Jon Stewart 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Forgot

Manderlay.
Sarah G 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:
Practical Magic.

Sx
Removed User 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Groundhog Day.
 paul-1970 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

I've always given a list to this kind of question before, but if there was a desert island I was washed up on that had only one disc on it (and hopefully a player, a widescreen tv and a comfy chair), it would be 'Gregory's Girl'.

Humour, pathos, drama and dancing. And Clare Grogan.

All boxes ticked.
 yeti 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

possibly "little shop of horrors"

or "master and commander"

though "alien" has to be up there ...

The Lemming 26 Apr 2013
In reply to yeti:
> (In reply to heidi123)
>
> possibly "little shop of horrors"
>

I haven't seen that gem in years so I think I'll hunt it out.

MonkeyPuzzle 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Has to be either Millers Crossing, or the Lone Wolf and Cub films - all six, if I'm allowed them.
 The Lemming 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

I am quite partial to:

Die Hard 4
Cliff Hanger
Batman with the nasty clown.
In reply to heidi123:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off! Can watch it over and over and over again - and I'm someone who rarely watches a film twice.

La Sham
 Ann S 26 Apr 2013
In reply to gringo number 1:
> (In reply to heidi123)
> Dr Strangelove.

With you on that one. Stunning performances by everyone involved (x3 by Sellars) and my favourite fictional character name ever- Sgt. Bat Guano.
 Gawyllie 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: True Romance
 UKC Forums 26 Apr 2013
This thread was started in the OFF BELAY forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Culture Bunker - A forum dedicated to reviews and discussion of media and the arts. Just read a book? Why not share it by writing a review. Love music? Want to critique the latest releases? The Culture Bunker is the place. Seen a play or a film? Let's hear about it. This is the place to come if you are looking for a book, album or film recommendation.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 climber34neil 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: for me it has to be donnie darko, human traffic, monty python quest for the holy grail, and maybe bad taste as its so bad that its good!
In reply to heidi123:

The best film I've seen recently, right up wit the best I've ever seen, is A Late Quartet. Couldn't say what my favourite is, there are just of many genres, and it's hard to compare one with another. I think most of David Lean's work is astonishing, as was Bunuel's and Fassbinder's. Plus another director I'm not allowed to mention, because I was fortunate enough to work with him. If I had to plomp for just one film I might pick One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

ice.solo 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

raising arizona
apocalypse now redux
tree of life
 Fredt 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

The Day of the Jackal
 Fraser 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to heidi123)
>
> Plus another director I'm not allowed to mention, because I was fortunate enough to work with him.

Oh FFS, stop being so self restrained and ask yourself: "what would Jude do?" YOU know you're dying to tell us. WE know you're dying to tell us. .. so just tell us.

Deviant 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

I love The Great Escape. Who could forget the moment when Richard Attenborough gets caught out by the Gestapo officer.

"Good Luck" - "Thank-you".

I'm not sure if it's my all time favorite, but "Trading Places" is certainly one that I never tire of watching. "Coleman" !
In reply to Fraser:

No, I've had such a lot of stick from Blue Straggler in the past about mentioning him that i won't. Easy enough to find out.
 Kelcat 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: bite your lip, don't say anything, no, no, no.....
The question was "what's your favourite film", singular. Not a list, not a few...put your marker down, make your mind up. On the spur of the moment. We get it might change tomorrow, in an hour, never ever.

Withnail & I.
Green-Winged Orchid 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Deviant: I always thought it was the acts fella in upstairs downstairs whi says thank you?
 Deviant 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Green-Winged Orchid:
> (In reply to Deviant) I always thought it was the acts fella in upstairs downstairs whi says thank you?

Yes , upon reflection it is Mac ( Gordon Jackson ) !

Blue Straggler 26 Apr 2013
> Plus another director I'm not allowed to mention, because I was fortunate enough to work with him.

Don't be infantile Gordon.
In reply to heidi123:

Once Upon A Time in the West.
 Mikkel 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to heidi123)
>
> Once Upon A Time in the West.

Thats my line, damm you.
> (In reply to Fraser)
>
> No, I've had such a lot of stick from Blue Straggler in the past about mentioning him that i won't.

You have not had a lot of stick. You have had a twig and that was banter.
Having a tantrum?

People - it's Stanley Kubrick,
 Jon Stewart 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Kelcat:
> (In reply to heidi123) bite your lip, don't say anything, no, no, no.....
> The question was "what's your favourite film", singular. Not a list, not a few...put your marker down, make your mind up. On the spur of the moment. We get it might change tomorrow, in an hour, never ever.
>
> Withnail & I.

That's mine too. Now you mention it.
 Kemics 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Casablanca
 Kemics 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Though im fond of a quote which is about using the Big Lebowski as a social litmus test - to paraphrase:

"If you dont like the Big Lebowski; what the f*ck do we have to talk about?!"

(possible incorrect use of a semi-colon, but it's friday and i'm feeling like a grammar maverick..)

At my age you do all you can to be infantile, let me assure you.
 Tom Valentine 26 Apr 2013

The English Patient

That's the spirit!
ice.solo 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Kemics:
> (In reply to heidi123)
>
> Casablanca

ah yes, and that too.
 sbc_10 27 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

"The Professionals" ... a great rip-roaring western.

..."nothing is forever....except...."
 Kimono 27 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:
Local Hero
 iksander 27 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: Never thought of films in a list but Barry Lyndon would be near the top too
> (In reply to Fraser)
>
> No, I've had such a lot of stick from Blue Straggler in the past about mentioning him that i won't. Easy enough to find out.

Is the director you've worked with James Foley? That would make your favourite film "Who's That Girl?"

Rob Naylor 27 Apr 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I' ve yet to see a film that had the same effect on me as "2001 - A Space Odyssey" when I first saw it.

Space as it really is....no explosions, no zooming about avoiding asteroids, and the segment with the spacecraft docking with the space station is still, IMO, one of the mopst brilliant scenes ever shot.
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

No Clue: in his blue overalls, once, on the driveway of his country mansion in Hertfordshire, he was mistaken by a delivery van driver for the gardener, despite his very distinctive eyebrows and New York accent ..
 Blue Straggler 27 Apr 2013

"Distinctive" only works if you have seen a picture of the person. Perhaps the delivery man driver was not so much into cinema that he knew what DIRECTORS looked like! There is more to life than "behind the scenes on a film set", Gordon
 Blue Straggler 27 Apr 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
> (In reply to heidi123)
>
> "The Professionals" ... a great rip-roaring western.
>
> ..."nothing is forever....except...."

"You bastard!"
"Yes - for me, an accident of birth. But you - well, you're a self-made man"

Great dialogue throughout.
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> "Distinctive" only works if you have seen a picture of the person. Perhaps the delivery man driver was not so much into cinema that he knew what DIRECTORS looked like! There is more to life than "behind the scenes on a film set", Gordon

You're absolutely right - the van driver obviously had no idea what SK looked like (he was just a famous 'name'), whereas any film buff would have recognized him immediately.
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> You're absolutely right - the van driver obviously had no idea what SK looked like (he was just a famous 'name'), whereas any film buff would have recognized him immediately.

Aha! You've tripped up there Gordon, and given away the director's initials - SK. It's Stephen King, and your favourite film is therefore "Maximum Overdrive" - machines come to life and kill people. Good choice.

Rourke 27 Apr 2013
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to heidi123)
>
> The Day of the Jackal

This me for me too!!

Removed User 27 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Groundhog Day.
Green-Winged Orchid 27 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed User: didn't you say that yesterday?
andymac 27 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

I would have to go with the original version of 'The 39 Steps'.

Just love that film.

Others;

Anything with Gene Hackman in it
Heat
The Client
No Country For Old Men.
Forrest Gump
Dumb and Dumber

Oh ,and Cliffhanger.

The

Gudrun 01 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Underground
by Emir Kusturica.

Wild Serbian historical tragedy/comedy epic beginning with the Nazi's bombing Belgrade Zoo,occupation and then the Commie fightback in a mad and surreal situation.

Blackie(Our handsome Communist hero)talking to a UN soldier-
UN Soldier-"Do you have any prisoners"
Blackie- "Yes we have some prisoners Comerade"
UN Soldier- "I am no Comerade Sir"
Blackie- "And i am no sir!"<Headbutts him>

Stani, stani, Ibar vodo Ibar Vo-o-o-doooo!

With wonderful Serbian music by Goran Bregovic,here's a trailor-

youtube.com/watch?v=JNtTJTJY6c4&
 JCurrie 01 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
All this talk of The Big Lebowski is making me want a white russian.
Jase

Paul035 02 May 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Very good!!
 The New NickB 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

I don't think I have a favourite film, but lots that I like.

I love most of the old Ealing Comedies, particularly Kind Hearts & Coronets and the Lavender Hill Mob.

Funny relationship with Kubrick films, adore Dr Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket, but really don't like 2001 and (sorry Gordon) The Shining.

Escape to Victory is truly terrible, but also quite wonderful.

For childish escapism it has got to be the Indiana Jones trilogy, actually just the first two really.

I must have seen Shaun of the Dead about 20 times and it still makes me laugh out loud so probably that.
 Alyson 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: Is it really clichéd of me to say The Shawshank Redemption?
 BigHairyIan 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Some great choices here. My very favorite film is Pulp Fiction, without a doubt!

I also like the Bourne films and a lot of Clint Eastwood's stuff
Jimbo W 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Cal
Jimbo W 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Kes
Jimbo W 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Scarecrow
 Denni 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Either Restless natives or Local Hero.
 The New NickB 02 May 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to heidi123) Is it really clichéd of me to say The Shawshank Redemption?

Yes, but I also like it very much.
 Jon Stewart 02 May 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to heidi123) Is it really clichéd of me to say The Shawshank Redemption?

Have you seen A Prophet?

It is to Shawshank what City of God is to Slumdog Millionnaire.
 Chris Harris 02 May 2013
In reply to Alyson:

I saw that once. Never again. Felt like slowly drowning in very worthy but rather self-satisfied treacle.
Removed User 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Groundhog Day.
In reply to heidi123:

There are so many great movies that it's surely absurd and/or impossible to pick one. But my favourite movie of the moment is A Late Quartet. I liked it so much when I saw it about a month ago, that I'm seeing it again tonight.
 Alyson 02 May 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to Alyson)
> [...]
>
> Have you seen A Prophet?
>
> It is to Shawshank what City of God is to Slumdog Millionnaire.

I haven't seen A Prophet, and nor have I seen City of God so this whole analogy is rather lost on me! However I will endeavour to educate myself further by watching both of them.
Jimbo W 02 May 2013

> There are so many great movies that it's surely absurd and/or impossible to pick one. But my favourite movie of the moment is A Late Quartet. I liked it so much when I saw it about a month ago, that I'm seeing it again tonight.

Not seen that one, but being a violinist, I always find it grating to watch someone violin miming... ...it just grates. However, this reminds of a film that I really enjoyed, and which is I think excellent, and that's the red violin:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120802/
 Cobbler 02 May 2013

Having a "Groundhog Day" moment Gordon??
In reply to Jimbo W:
>
> [...]
>
> Not seen that one, but being a violinist, I always find it grating to watch someone violin miming... ...it just grates. However, this reminds of a film that I really enjoyed, and which is I think excellent, and that's the red violin:
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120802/

Thanks, I missed that one.

I urge you to see ALQ, however. Their miming is, I think, very good ... but the point is that this is a very fine movie of the highest quality. A superb script and universally great performances. The absolute opposite of anything we might in the old days have called 'Hollywood'. It's one of the most intelligent and moving films I've seen for years ... way ahead of any of the rest in the 'ailing wrinklies' genre that I've seen recently (I think there have been about five of them, including the desperately overrated 'Amour'.) ... IMHO.

In reply to Jimbo W:

Actually, much of the time they're not miming, they're obviously playing (probably with the movie score playing quietly in the background as a guidetrack) ... and must have worked on key shots/segments very hard with various coaches. But of course it's been overdubbed.
Jimbo W 02 May 2013

> Actually, much of the time they're not miming, they're obviously playing (probably with the movie score playing quietly in the background as a guidetrack) ... and must have worked on key shots/segments very hard with various coaches. But of course it's been overdubbed.

Cool, I'll go see it.
cb294 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Ronin
Unforgiven
Three colours: Blue
Alien I

CB
 Jon Stewart 02 May 2013
In reply to cb294:
> (In reply to heidi123)
>

> Three colours: Blue

I've never seen the Three Colours films and I've always wondered: are they actually good, or are they just massively French films in which nobody knows what the hell is going on?
Jimbo W 02 May 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I've never seen the Three Colours films and I've always wondered: are they actually good, or are they just massively French films in which nobody knows what the hell is going on?

I've never seen the three colours movies, but I love French films more than any others.. ..I love the examination of character, the space in the films that allow the development of psychology and enough time to wonder and appreciate what the characters are thinking, rather than being unnaturally spoon fed plot and dialogue that leaves little to the imagination.
 Jon Stewart 02 May 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
>
> [...]
>
> I've never seen the three colours movies, but I love French films more than any others..

You might not appreciate this as much as I did then:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/25dcpm

(click on the bottom link to avoid frustration)
craigloon 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

+1 Local Hero

Tom Valentine 02 May 2013
In reply to cb294:

Ronin, absolutely brilliant thriller in every respect and I doubt the car chases will ever be bettered . When my Octavia turns its toes up I'm hoping there still might be few old shape S8's around. Black, of course.
andymac 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Dont know if its been mentioned.

a film that could also go on the 'Trashy' thread ;

The Breakfast Club.

Classic .

maybe you have to be over 35 though

Skol 02 May 2013
In reply to andymac:
Cool Hand Luke
"Shaking it out here boss"
 ripper 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
Unforgiven
Last of the Mohicans
Godfather 1 & 2
Apocalypse Now
Aguirre Wrath of God

and although I know it's tripe - The Matrix
 Blue Straggler 02 May 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> (In reply to cb294)
>
> Ronin, absolutely brilliant thriller in every respect

I have a lot of admiration for Ronin but I am surprised to see it as your favourite film. I think it doesn't quite achieve what it wanted to and has a fair few clunky bits and flaws. All that said, all the action - including the non-car-chase stuff - actually outclasses the much more recent Bourne trilogy. And it being all shot properly on location (as far as I can tell) does give it a certain vibe.

The fact that I remember it all so well having seen it just the once in the cinema, maybe speaks volumes for it
> (In reply to heidi123)
>
> There are so many great movies that it's surely absurd and/or impossible to pick one.

No it's not. It's absurd to declare one "the greatest ever made" but it's not absurd to declare one "my favourite".
In reply to andymac:

That is a classic. Couple of flaws (e.g. the behaviour of 17-year-olds when getting stoned...) but I love it and I can easily see why it can be a favourite. "Trashy" is pushing it. It's is several cuts above that period's usual "Brat pack" fare because it's essentially a great piece of theatre.

"OK so that's social. DEMENTED and SAD, but...social"
cb294 02 May 2013

The local vibe in Ronin is great, and I love Jean Reno. Also, the film has some of the best one liners in any thriller (I trapped you with a cup of coffee... If there is doubt, there is no doubt.... They chose honour. They chose wrong...), not as ridiculous as the famous Arnie lines.

However, the thing that was most memorable for me was that I had been to almost all the cafes or pubs that appear in that film even before seeing it for the first time (the Paris one on the back side of Montmartre, the one in Arles next to the theatre, got pissed there as a student with my zoology professor on a birdwatching excursion to the Camargue, the one on the Corniche near Nice on a cycling trip).

If you ever see the film on DVD, have a look at the alternative endings, they are so much better than the one that ended up on general release.

CB
 tomrainbow 02 May 2013
In reply to cb294:

Once Upon A time in the West - both my favourite and the best film ever made.
 JCurrie 02 May 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Re the Three Colours Trilogy

Kieslowski was a Pole.

They are superb films.

Jase
In reply to tomrainbow:
> (In reply to cb294)
>
> Once Upon A time in the West - both my favourite and the best film ever made.

I do agree!
In reply to JCurrie:
>
>
> Kieslowski was a Pole.
>
That doesn't stop Three Colours: Blue from being a French film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108394/companycredits?ref_=tt_dt_co
 winhill 02 May 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:
> (In reply to heidi123)
>
> Kes

One of the best british films ever.

add

if...

Brief Encounter

The Long Good Friday

Jimbo W 02 May 2013
In reply to winhill:

> if...

Wow, its been a while since I've seen that! Great film....
 Tom Valentine 03 May 2013

No, my favourite film is "The English Patient".
I was just responding to cb294's post with a lot of enthusiasm, same as if someone of a discerning nature mentioned "The Man Who Would Be King".
 Blue Straggler 03 May 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yup, sorry, I had not seen that previous post when I replied to yours.

The Man Who Would be King, eh? It is on my very short list of about 6 Sean Connery films (and performances) that I can happily tolerate
> [...]
>
> No it's not. It's absurd to declare one "the greatest ever made" but it's not absurd to declare one "my favourite".

For me, it's absurd, because nothing remains my single favourite of anything in life. One's tastes change. I couldn't even say which is my favourite piece of music by Beethoven. It might one year be Op.111, another the Cavatina, another the Benedictus from the Missa Solemnis,

Just for a little bit of good humoured Friday night fun, can I ask you a question? Am I right in thinking that a circle is not the same geometrical shape as a square?
 ams558 03 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: Ice Cold in Alex. The final scene in the bar, classic!
> [...]
>
> For me, it's absurd, because nothing remains my single favourite of anything in life. One's tastes change. I couldn't even say which is my favourite piece of music by Beethoven. It might one year be Op.111, another the Cavatina, another the Benedictus from the Missa Solemnis,

<deleted some waffle>
For me, it's not absurd.
>
> Just for a little bit of good humoured Friday night fun, can I ask you a question? Am I right in thinking that a circle is not the same geometrical shape as a square?

I think it kind of depends....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss%E2%80%93Bolyai%E2%80%93Lobachevsky_space
Removed User 03 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Groundhog Day.
 Padraig 03 May 2013
> [...]
>
> For me, it's absurd, because nothing remains my single favourite of anything in life. One's tastes change.

This also pretty much sums up my views on or ANY fav topic. It changes (or should?0 as one discovers new things! Actually, isn't that what life is all about? Anyhoo, I always rate films that make me think WOW! Or ones where I NEED to watch them again. e.g. I've just discovered the "3 x colours" films in the last year and WOW WOW WOW!!
In reply to Padraig:

Of course, Patraig - one is discovering thrilling new things every day. Agreed, that is exactly what life is all about. Great to hear your unbridled/uncomplicated enthusiasm for the Three Colours films. BTW, I saw A Late Quartet again last night, because i had just that NEED to see it again that you are talking about ... saw it this time not just with Freda but with my brother, who is always a very stern critic, and it simply confirmed to me that this is a total masterpiece. How long it will remain my favourite film I cannot say.
 JCurrie 03 May 2013
> (In reply to JCurrie)
> [...]
> That doesn't stop Three Colours: Blue from being a French film.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108394/companycredits?ref_=tt_dt_co

Nor does that list of production companies make the trilogy massively french in which nobody knows the hell what is going on, which was the concern of JS that I was trying to allay.

In reply to JCurrie:

How does simply stating that the director of a French film is Polish, allay someone's fears that "nobody knows what the hell is going on"?
 JCurrie 03 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
I only said i was trying. Much like yourself
andymac 03 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

a few films that I will admit to liking.

I`m no sophisticated expert on French Cinema ,
but I did like and laugh at a film called....

La Cage Aux Folles.

which was the original version of The Birdcage.

I`m off to exfoliate.

Blue Straggler 04 May 2013
In reply to JCurrie:
> (In reply to heidi123)
> I only said i was trying. Much like yourself

Got to keep standards raised (and I'm not talking about flags )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...