UKC

Zero Dark Thirty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 18 Feb 2013
I've got the chance of seeing it this week and while it would be nice to see Ossama Bin Laden getting shot in the face I wonder whether the Hollywood production spoils the rest of the film.

Has anyone been to see it and can offer an opinion?

Blue Straggler 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed User:

I think it was backed by an independent film production company, if that eases your concerns about "Hollywood production" (whatever that might mean in the first place)

I thought it was very well done for a (almost) blockbuster, better than Argo in my opinion.

Well put together, well acted action adventure with obvious historical intrest. Gripping even though you know the outcome, and not too many moments where you thought "that wouldn't have happened like that".
Removed User 18 Feb 2013
In reply to mountain.martin:
> (In reply to Eric9Points)
>
> I thought it was very well done for a (almost) blockbuster, better than Argo in my opinion.
>

Cheers. Yes I can't believe Argo is up for a raft of Oscars. Upon leaving the cinema we agreed that while it wasn't a bad film the story itself was actually better than the film if you see what I mean. Maybe it just goes to show that 2012 was a bad year for mainstream films.

Dauphin 27 Feb 2013

Argo I thought dreadful. Pretty good if you enjoy the Hallmark channel.

ZD30 a much more engaging film, left the cinema feeling thoroughly depressed though. 30 or so minutes of waterboarding and torture at the start doesn't exactly leave you punching the air for the goodies when the bad man in the skirt and beard gets slotted.

D
Daithi O Murchu 27 Feb 2013

saw it and its great

the CIA groundwork leading to his location and the op itself is done very

its a good film
 ti_pin_man 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed User: I thought argo a good film, really interesting and well done. I'm not sure it was oscar material but it was still a good film.

I saw lincoln the other night and can say that DDL is just brilliant in it, the best 'proper' actor we have. However the film, I thought, was again good but not stunning oscar material itself.

I will see zero dark probably next weekend and was wary of it, but now quite looking forward to it, sounds like its a reasonable film.
NWO resistance 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed User: http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/galleryoffakebinladens.php What do you guy's make of this? Do you really believe the official story and what about dumping his body into the ocean?, the whole thing stinks of a staged event to me.
 Phil79 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Dauphin:
> (In reply to Eric9Points)
>
> ZD30 a much more engaging film, left the cinema feeling thoroughly depressed though. 30 or so minutes of waterboarding and torture at the start doesn't exactly leave you punching the air for the goodies when the bad man in the skirt and beard gets slotted.
>

There's been a lot of comment about the fact that torture was portrayed in the film as being integral to tracking down Bin Laden, when in fact a number of officials have indicated that this wasn't the case at all. The CIA also seems to have heavily influenced the direction & content of the film with several advisors working with the film makers, so many seem to see it as a propaganda film for them, it certainly seems heavily politicised in this context.

It was also suggest that this was the reason it didn’t win any Oscars, despite being a ‘better’ film than Argo, which is ironic as that’s also a film about the CIA and also distorts the true.

I haven't seen either yet, so can comment, but thought the media comment was interesting.
 the power 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed User: team America
 Dave 88 28 Feb 2013

To be honest, I thought it could do with a bit more Hollywood production. Very dry film with the only chance for any action (at the end) being wildly inaccurate.
 Dauphin 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Phil79:

If you read the history books CIA wrote the textbook. In the film it doesn't come across as an amateur discipline. It's clear they have a blackhat team ready to go whenever and whereever these situations arise. Officials don't want the public to know about this because they signed off on it and it makes the moral case for prosecuting a protracted war very sketchy.

D
 Ciderslider 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Dave 88: Totally agree - it did go on a bit, and then just a small amount of action at the end - didn't really think that the helicopter down at the end was all that credible either.

Argo was better
 Kimono 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:
> didn't really think that the helicopter down at the end was all that credible either.
>

er, but this is what actually happened no?!

Dave 88 28 Feb 2013
In reply to kieran b:

I think he means the effects. They were a bit lame.
andrew breckill 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Removed User: not seen it yet I do like bigelow's previous work though so will go and see it shortly. It don't be Hollywood fairy tale either.
 Ciderslider 02 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave 88: Exactly what I meant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...