UKC

/ Adventures on Skye

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
BoTTo - on 13 May 2018

Hi,

I am looking for ideas for adventure days on the isle of skye with my family, 2 adults and two kids (7 & 9yrs), we have full climbing kit, coasteering, scrambing, wild swimming, fell running etc and want some ideas for days out.  Its been 15 years since I have been climbing on the island and dont think the kids are ready for Grey panther just yet.  Any advise on camping spots would be appreciated too.  Would also be thinking of walking into a bothey, I am assuming the one Camasunary is still going?  And I seem to remember climbing down on the coast at Elgol?

Thanks in advance

Dave

deepsoup - on 13 May 2018
In reply to BoTTo:

> I am assuming the one Camasunary is still going?

Yes and no.  The old bothy is now closed.  A new one has been built on the other side of the bay but it has less character than the old one and there's no fireplace.

deepsoup - on 13 May 2018
In reply to BoTTo:

Oh, and since you mentioned Elgol - how about taking one of the tourist boats over to Coruisk from there?  Would Sgurr na Stri be doable with the kids from there?  On a clear day the view from the summit is astonishing.

mal_meech on 14 May 2018
In reply to BoTTo:

Stay at glenbrittle and take the kids down to see the “Viking” boatyard at the end of the point ( if you’re into that kind of thing) the boat wharfs, channel and defensive wall  next to Loch Na H’airde are all pretty visible.

there are also a few swim pool areas / messing around boulder spots on the shore that are kid friendly on the way down (on a clam day)

rka - on 14 May 2018
CathS - on 14 May 2018
In reply to BoTTo:

I'd recommend a visit to Spar Cave near Elgol, which is accessible at low tide by an easy sea-level traverse/scramble.   

Absolutely amazing inside!  Take head torches.

Rich W Parker - on 15 May 2018
In reply to BoTTo:

Sonomara area at Neist has got some nice, non serious climbing. Poverty Point for sea cliff.

The Ben Tianavaig circuit is a cracking wee hill walk, ace coastal scenery and a fair chance of clocking some eagles.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.