UKC

Advice wanted re Cuillin guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Trevelyan 10 Jul 2017
Hi
going to Skye next week, with my teenage kids. I've climbed for many years but my kids really only have indoor wall experience. I'd like to take them onto the Cioch, and wanted to hire someone, just to make it a little easier for me to take essentially two beginners. Suggestions welcome - thanks!
 atrendall 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Andy Trevelyan:

Skye Guides are the top guides on Skye and Mike Lates is a really decent bloke so I'd definitely recommend them. Having said that, I live in Sconser and spent a long time in the so called outdoor industry and would be more than happy to give you a hand for free; I'm writing a book about the Cuillin and am always looking for an excuse to get out and get some more photos. PM me if I can help you and your sons up the Cioch.
In reply to atrendall:

thanks v much - brand new to this forum so not quite sure on the jargon yet - what do you mean "PM me"? Sorry to have to ask!

I'd echo what atrendall said.

Mike is the 'go to' person when it comes to the Cuillin, so much so that I recommended him to my own father. Being that my Dad is a hillwalker - not a climber - he really appreciated Mike's professionalism and support throughout what is fundamentally a pretty wild environment!

Hope you (and your kids) have fun up there.

p.s. PM means 'personal message'
 kingieman 10 Jul 2017

Jamie B is my preference. Been out with him a few times, and always had a great time. Good sense of humour, great local knowledge, nice personality ... (for me) can't go wrong.
 Jack B 10 Jul 2017

> what do you mean "PM me"?

If you click the little envelope icon next to someone's name at the top of their post, it will take you to a form which lets you email them. It usually works, but sometimes the email gets eaten by their anti-spam system or the email address is out of date.

Mark Kemball 10 Jul 2017

I believe Mike (Skye Guides) is on holiday until 18th July.
 Rich W Parker 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Skye Guides is a very large entity in guiding terms nowadays, it rumbles on even when Mike and family are on their hols.

Thank you all - greatly appreciated you all took the time to get back to me.

bw
Andy
 Fellover 11 Jul 2017
In reply to kingieman:

> Jamie B is my preference. Been out with him a few times, and always had a great time. Good sense of humour, great local knowledge, nice personality ... (for me) can't go wrong.

Seconded, not been guided by Jamie but met him when he was guiding three teenagers on the Inn Pin, they were all enjoying themselves so I'm sure he'd be great with your kids as well. Fun to talk to and obviously very competent. If you search for JamieB on here you'll find his profile and be able to email.

atrendall 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Hi Rich,
and there was me thinking Mike had generously taken all the Skye Guide team on an all expenses paid holiday to an exotic location.
 Rich W Parker 11 Jul 2017
In reply to atrendall:

I'm sure he would, but Cat wouldn't let him! They balance out very well.
 atrendall 12 Jul 2017
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Tell Cat it might be tax deductable!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...