UKC

Albania, any good ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gjw5670 01 Feb 2013
Having just watched Soldier of fortune with Christaian Slater ( dont bother )
I noticed a lot of sexy looking rock on the film location. I think its filmed in Albania because they use an old cold war submarine pen as the bad guys base. I think I saw that on Top Gear once.
Anyway there seems to be some good bits of rock that look good for DWS in the ( terrible ) film. Two good one liners from Sean Bean was its only saving grace.
So is Albania any good for climbing?
 Yanis Nayu 01 Feb 2013
In reply to gjw5670: I met an Albanian once. He was all white, with pink eyes.
 adstapleton 01 Feb 2013
In reply to gjw5670:

nahhh, shit.
 TobyA 02 Feb 2013
 andyb211 02 Feb 2013
In reply to gjw5670: Ignore adstapleton ill informed post and google rock climbing albania you will then come to a PDF photo essay and guide which is a free down load by John Ely which is pretty good for free written in 2002, then check out Climbing Albania on Facebook this give contact details for the activists who are putting routes up and will help with accommodation show you where the routes are etc contact details on the page. if you're stuck for a partner I'll pack my Hilti blag some bolts and get week off and join you mate.
Gareth Edwards 02 Feb 2013
In reply to gjw5670: there's a good Rock & Ice magazine article about Albania (cant remember which one sorry) ,maybe year before last. looks wicked. try couchsurfing or facebook groups maybe?
 sheeny 02 Feb 2013
In reply to gjw5670: I went to a limstone area called Thethi national park and valbona NP fantastic place cheap friendly and big mountains hardly any tourism 4 yrs ago diff to get around roads are shocking but worth it
 jpm102 02 Feb 2013
In reply to gjw5670:

I went to Albania last June, one of the best holidays i have ever had. There seems to be tons of rock around, track down the pdf mentioned earlier in the thread, i think i found it on Summitpost. Thethi has huge potential, and a 900m big wall that was bolted by a German team at 6c (i think). A couple of minor sport crags have also been bolted in Theth. On top of that hundreds of huge rock routes in the albanian alps and around, and the rock looks good, a bit like the dolomites.

Also i visited an amazing gorge that ended on the coast, the small cliffs 5m from the sea had been bolted, they were only about 15m tall. But gorge walls were about 80m, unbolted, with tufas and roofs. The gorge seemed about a mile long although i didnt explore it all, and being a gorge was cool enough to climb in June, had a great camp spot and one of the nicest beaches i have been to. Let me know if you want pics and coordinates. Looked like a really good place to climb, but my eye is relatively untrained for spotting actually quality of rock for bolting.
 Al Evans 02 Feb 2013
In reply to gjw5670: ny film with Sean Bean in it has value, he's a Sheff U supporter
 Indy 02 Feb 2013
In reply to gjw5670:
according to the Daily Mail it's all crap in Albania hence 92% of all Albanians will be moving to the UK shortly. When an Albanian was interviewed as to what the benefit of the move come was he said that the benefits were endless in the UK.
Ho hum
redsonja 02 Feb 2013
In reply to gjw5670: its a beautiful country and very friendly people. i was only hiking there rather than climbing, but its awesome. cheap too
 Paul Troon 03 Feb 2013
Hi i too have lived in Albania you will find the people friendly and helpful, It is a beautiful country
> So is Albania any good for climbing? I think so loads to seek out, vimeo.com/29609333 i would like to go back out.
Paul
OP gjw5670 03 Feb 2013
In reply to gjw5670: I have found the PDF. Its a really good read. Its looking like it could be a possibility for the summer. I like the idea it could be cheap. That 900m wall at 6c sounds fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...