UKC

Alex McIntyre memorial hut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 25 Sep 2019

I am in the hut just now, and there is an annoying intermittent beeping noise which sounds like a smoke detector battery is running out. It looks like the smoke detectors/ fire alarms are electric. Anyone familiar with the hut know what it might be and how to stop it? 

I have emailed the secretary, but not sure how long it will take to get a reply and it's really annoying!

baron 25 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I spent days looking for the source of a beeping sound.

It turned out to be a carbon monoxide detector hidden high up and out of sight on the top of a cupboard.

Good luck in silencing the annoyance.

Slarti B 25 Sep 2019
In reply to baron:

I had exactly the same when looking after a neighbour's house.  Eventually found the CO detector and called the number written on it; this led to a gas man turning up and disconnecting the gas supply, apparently a legal obligation.  

After my neighbours returned and paid significant amount ( £200?) to have supply reconnected it turned out the CO detector just needed a new battery!

Andy Hardy 26 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

How good are your ears? Maybe you're picking up the mouse repeller? 

https://www.pestcontrolsupermarket.com/rentokil-beacon-fm89---advanced-rat-...

Assuming one is fitted

OP girlymonkey 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

No, ended up tracking it to one of the smoke detectors. Apparently they have a back up battery and beep when that has run out.

Obviously, I didn't have a spare with me, so had a fun night with constant beeping. 

kathrync 26 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

My sister has some kind of toad (midwife toad, I think) in her garden.  The sound it makes is very remiscent of a smoke detector alarm warning.

The day she moved into that house, my parents and I spend several hours trying to find the dead smoke detector!

Post edited at 13:29
 deepsoup 26 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Aagh, rotten luck.

I try never to visit a bunkhouse, hostel or hut without a pair of earplugs in my bag.  Very handy when you're sharing a dorm room with a wounded hippopotamus, but also good for random 'beep beep' etc..

This is one of several reasons I rate the Knoydart Foundation bunkhouse at Inverie as about the best I've ever been to..  http://deepsoup.f2s.com/UKC/knoydartearplugs.jpg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...