UKC

Alicante / Murcia car hire warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 david morse 05 Mar 2014
If you are planning on flying to costa blanca anytime in the near future, stay well clear of dickmans car hire. They rent cars out of Murcia and Alicante. They take a deposit from your account when you pick up the car and it is unlikely you will see this again.

They are usually the cheapest option via holidayautos.com, be warned!
 dsh 05 Mar 2014
In reply to david morse:

Living up to their name perhaps!
OP david morse 05 Mar 2014
In reply to david morse:

Indeed!
 Graham Booth 05 Mar 2014
In reply to david morse:

Just hired a car from them, they take a 480 euro deposit on a credit card

Surely if they incorrectly debit this, it's visas issue to recover the money??
 Graham Booth 05 Mar 2014
In reply to david morse:

More important to check the car for dents and scratches, mine was a mess but had nothing marked at the documentation... Plus Spain hire cars company's rip you off for a full tank of petrol at exorbitant prices

I was charged 90 euro for a tank of fuel for a 1.2 corsa.... Disgusting
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Graham Booth:

> Plus Spain hire cars company's rip you off for a full tank of petrol at exorbitant prices

> I was charged 90 euro for a tank of fuel for a 1.2 corsa.... Disgusting

How much was the car to hire? There has been a 'race to the bottom' in Spain with quotes for the car often being bizarrely low - then they then make some of the money back on the gas!

Chris
 Graham Booth 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Hi Chris, it was booked through travel republic and was extremely low, 25 euro I think so I expected to get stung on the petrol as per

There was a lady getting stung for 70 euros worth of additional insurance because she couldn't fund the necessary deposit
 Graham Booth 05 Mar 2014

But I have paid more for hire car in costa dourada and still got stung for the petrol!
 Graham Booth 05 Mar 2014

Ps Reconco is a great addition to the guide, climbed there today and had the crag to ourselves! La llagrima first pitch has got to be the hardest 6a ever!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Mar 2014

Probably better to look at it as a car and a tank of gas for £100

The bizarre thing is they fill it up, charge you a wad, you bring it back empty - then they have to pay a guy to go and fill it up again and charge you for the pleasure!!!

Recently I have being going with companies like Sixt and Budget - not much more expensive in the end and you don't fell like you have been screwed every time!

Chris
 Graham Booth 05 Mar 2014

Yes indeed!! Thanks will try Sixt and Budget

Cheers
 Marmoteer 05 Mar 2014
In reply to david morse:

I had this trick when hiring a van in the UK; I would suggest not using "A1 National Van Hire."

I called several times requesting the deposit back (£250). Their excuses ranged from, "you don't get the deposit back until after 10 working days" to, "we've lost your bank details" or, "it will be in your account in 3 working days."

I had booked on a visa debit card and the building society were really helpful in getting the money back. The building society refunded me after a short investigation. I had to show the building society:

a. Evidence that the deposit was refundable on return of the vehicle(did that using the company's website).
b. Correspondence showing my attempts to get the deposit back (I had sent e-mails but also included details of phone conversations that were listed in the e-mails).
c. My booking reference with the company.

I would have thought that the protection on a credit card would ensure you a refund from the card company and they will have to claim the deposit from the hire company. I was fortunate that my building society was very useful as I had only used a debit card.

James Malloch 05 Mar 2014
In reply to david morse:

We used Dickmans over Christmas and they were okay. Full deposit back with no issues despite it having been to wildside a few times and hearing a lot of scraping, being pretty messy, etc.

Also, our petrol cost 75 euros for a similar sized car, little 3 door thing.

Sounds like you were unlucky, or we were lucky....
 Morgan Woods 06 Mar 2014
In reply to david morse:

This has been a pretty peaceful "invasion".
 bpmclimb 06 Mar 2014

> Ps Reconco is a great addition to the guide, climbed there today and had the crag to ourselves! La llagrima first pitch has got to be the hardest 6a ever!

Seconded! Spent a great day there a couple of weeks ago.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Mar 2014

> Ps Reconco is a great addition to the guide, climbed there today and had the crag to ourselves! La llagrima first pitch has got to be the hardest 6a ever!

Thanks, but it has been in at least the last four editions!

Chris
 Graham Booth 07 Mar 2014

Oops! Will get my coat
 Graham Booth 22 Mar 2014
In reply to david morse:
Dickheads, I mean dickermans just returned my deposit after a phone call and a few increasingly sniffy emails and two weeks later

Stay well clear!!!
Post edited at 11:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...