UKC

Alicante advice - climbing hostels near popular crags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 trying.soft 02 Oct 2021

Hi all, 

I know it's a very short period (3.5 days effectively) but I would love to get some advice on where it'd be easy in Alicante to touch base and find some partners for 2-3 days worth of climbing. Ideally I'd like to find a climbing hostel near a crag where I could meet people and just walk to the routes. 

Obviously I'll be doing my own research on trying to find the most appropriate spot, but in the meantime all advice will be most welcome.

I'm open to potentially renting a car since it's only a few days, but will probably not bring rope or QDs.

If any other climbers are available during this time and want to partner up please give a shout! (Moving confidently on the 6c-7a range, and super solid on multipitch, but happy to climb anything!)

Regards

M. Alonso

In reply to trying.soft:

You could try The Orange House in Finestrat. A car would be useful

Jonathan Emett 02 Oct 2021
In reply to trying.soft:

I'm at the orange house now. It's 30 minutes drive to sella. This would be the best place to meet partners I'd say, although right now there are only 3 guests. There is/was an unofficial refuge at sella, I don't know if they still take guests though. Another alternative is at guadalest, there is a refuge there that is right by the crag. Guadalest is best for 6a-6c or so, but there are some routes harder than that.

In reply to trying.soft:

There are crags in the Alicante area but I found them to be far less popular and frequented than those around Benidorm and Calpe. In general terms the crags on the Costa Blanca are spread out and tend to be fairly quiet, at least by El Chorro, Kalymnos and Stanage standards.  Climbers also stay in accommodation that is equally spread out but typically centres around Benidorm and Calpe. Sella and Gandia are the two crags where I have seen numerous other parties but Gandia is a long haul from Alicante.

In summary it's not a great place to hook up with other climbers IMO and Alicante itself even less so.  As suggested above The Orange House is probably the best bet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  Others may have a different experience.

Al

Post edited at 10:26
OP trying.soft 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Hi Al, much appreciated. That is the impression I have been getting by reading online. 

In reply to trying.soft:

If you’re on Facebook there are several groups for people looking for climbing partners across Europe. Very active groups with all kinds of people. I just tried to see if they have a specific one for where you are headed but it’s down.

I hope you find a partner and have a nice trip!

Post edited at 18:12
 Sam Mayfield 22 Oct 2021
In reply to Jonathan Emett:

We fill up quite a bit next week, no good for this guy but Ive a few single clinbers booked in!!! 

Yippee more like normally....

Sam Orange xx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...