UKC

Any recent first-hand experience of taking food into France?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Cairns 28 Sep 2021

With restrictions easing, and the weather crapping out, we're planning a couple of weeks in France in the campervan for some late sun.

I'm aware of the current restrictions around taking fresh food into the EU, and that last Spring there were some horror stories about folk having ham sandwiches confiscated by Dutch customs, but has anyone got any recent information about travelling to France?  We'll be doing the short Dover-Calais crossing, trying to avoid busy times, and normally we'd just stuff the van fridge with food for the first day or two travelling but will we have it all burnt before our eyes and end up in the Bastille??  I think we'd limit it to the minimum anyway, like some milk for coffee and eggs for a couple of omelettes, but any idea what our chance are?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers, Andy

Šljiva 28 Sep 2021
In reply to Andy Cairns:

Depends on whether they decide to inspect you or not. We sailed to Holland, they didn’t pull us over, but I decided it was easier not to take anything and buy at the first opportunity. They’ll take dairy and animal products off you if they find it, but you won’t be arrested unless it’s trade quantities  

I was wondering what would happen if I bought Dutch milk on the ferry,  or packed the block of Parmesan a friend had brought us from Italy a few days before …..

OP Andy Cairns 28 Sep 2021
In reply to Šljiva:

Thanks Kirsten.  Yes, we bought a pack of mixed charcuterie a few days ago, which we haven't opened yet - surely they'd let that in? It's even got a picture of a Citroen on the front!

Cheers, Andy

Toerag 28 Sep 2021
In reply to Andy Cairns:

Went to France in late August (Guernsey - St.Malo, foot passenger). No checks for food, but passports were stamped by French customs which has never happened before and vax status was checked. Coming back vax status was checked by customs and ferry company, and passport was stamped again. Guernsey customs were asking about plants and potatoes (like they used to when I was a kid).

alex 28 Sep 2021
In reply to Andy Cairns:

Did the same with a van stuffed with food both ways. Plenty of searches and no problems at all. 

Šljiva 28 Sep 2021
In reply to Toerag:

I collected 10 stamps in one European trip - ridiculous. We do more or less the same at least once a year, will need the extra-paged passport! 

John2 28 Sep 2021
In reply to Andy Cairns:

I believe that there are shops in France which sell food.

coldfell 28 Sep 2021
In reply to Andy Cairns:

We have just done the same via Eurotunnel - never gave fresh food a thought as too busy sorting out passenger locator forms/covid tests etc. We did have a cool box full to last a couple of days travelling.  There were no checks at all, we were just asked about gas canisters - we had disconnected our supply to comply.

OP Andy Cairns 29 Sep 2021
In reply to Andy Cairns:

Thanks for the helpful replies.  Pretty much confirms what I expected, so we'll take the minimum for the first couple of days, and keep our fingers crossed.

Cheers, Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...