UKC

Arco - General info please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 04 Mar 2018

Hi,

Am looking at going to Arco, but as wondering if anyone could recommend cheap accommodation / campsites etc. Where's good for a base?

Also wondering about via ferratas etc and topos, also other areas that could be worth going while there.

Any good topos out there for crags / via ferratas etc?

Thanks

Frank

Post edited at 08:21
 discosucks 04 Mar 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

I was there for 3 days in September , you wont find it hard finding info on the climbing , there is 5/6 climbing shops there and all the hotels / adventure sport providers are well geared up for traveling climbers . 

There is an outdoor climbing wall at the base of the main crag ( the one with the big castle on it , can never remember the name ) and down the road from this is a campsite . I just used travagio and got a cheap room in a semi decent hotel . 

I didn't get to climb unfortunately but did a few via ferratas , one starts beside the climbing wall and the other was a short walk from the town , be prepared for some serious polish! , Maybe its because I'm come from Ireland and we have very little of it here on the crags I climb but I was shocked at the level of it there . 

Nice place to hang out anyways , enjoy! 

Lieschen 04 Mar 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

You can hire a via ferrata kit in every climbing shop, one shop gave us  it for free. There is a good Cicerone guide about via ferratas in this area https://www.cicerone.co.uk/via-ferratas-of-the-italian-dolomites-vol-2

I've seen cliff with bolts for sport climbing right in the town (Via crucis de Lagnel) and topo was displayed near it. 

I can recommend Rio Sallagoni - I did it with my son.  Nice short route for sunny days.

Post edited at 10:17
 yelotango 04 Mar 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

Two good VF near Sarche Che Guevara (medium difficulty, long day) and Rino Pisetta (one of the most difficult). Riva del Garda has a wide range of accomodation, there`s a campsite at Pietramurata opposite a bouldering wall. Both are an easy drive / bus trip from Arco.

Toerag 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Lieschen:

> I can recommend Rio Sallagoni - I did it with my son.  Nice short route for sunny days.

Do it at night! All the creepy crawlies come out of hiding .

To the OP - you'll need a car otherwise you'll be restricted to the highly polished local crags. We stayed in a self catering place in Torbole 100m from Lake Garda with pizzerias all around it and a late night bar/club. There was no 'climber scene' there (torbole is a windsurfing place), but it was nice.

discosucks 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Toerag:

If you stay here got to pizzaburger for a munch!! 

OP Frankie boy 07 Mar 2018

Thanks all for your help, I'm excited about getting there.

Much appreciated.

Frank

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...