UKC

Athens Greece Rental Car advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RoyStone 19 Feb 2020

Flying to Athens, need to rent a car for one week to get to Leonidio and back. Looking for tips on companies to use/avoid, whether to hire on or off airport, how to avoid the latest scams (got burned by GoldCar 3 years ago), damage waiver best practice... Anything else I should be aware of...

Simon Caldwell 19 Feb 2020
In reply to RoyStone:

We usually go with Sixt at Athens, last year the best price was via Opodo.

Jamie Wakeham 19 Feb 2020
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Stratos Morphis have been good for me - used them a few times now. 

Inhambane 19 Feb 2020
In reply to RoyStone:

we used surprice, off site (they pick you up), honest staff and good customer service. 

Jon Stewart 19 Feb 2020
In reply to RoyStone:

Just been. Enterprise (at the airport) were fine, cheap and no problems. If you've not been before, note that it would be very, very easy to dent a car in Leonidio - although local drivers tend to be on the ball and considerate.

stevevans5 19 Feb 2020
In reply to RoyStone:

Hired a super cheap car from Caldera from Athens (booked through vehicle-rent.com). Big damage deposit, bit of a wait to be picked up from the airport (and the shuttle bus drive was pretty scary, wandering between lanes all the time) but the actual car and hire experience was absolutely fine.  In my experience, the really cheap hire cars tend to have the odd dents and scratches already, so as long as you don't significantly add to them seemed to be fine. 

Post edited at 14:48
 SGD 19 Feb 2020
In reply to RoyStone:

We've used various companies at Athens and all of them have been good.

The ones based at the airport are usually a bit more expensive but not always - We got an amazing deal from Athens car hire once (cheaper than everyone at the time) and they met you at the terminal with the car! When returning your car a good few of them (Sixt, Goldcar, Eurocar etc) are just before the airport terminal so it's dead easy to do the drop off and walk into the airport.(maybe 250m)

For those offsite they all run a pick up service which again we've never had any problems with and as far as I'm aware all pick up from the same area which again is very close to the airport terminal so minimal faff.

To give you an idea how easy it is.

Come out the terminal, turn right and walk (maybe 100m) to where the building ends, there is an obvious bus/minbus parking area in front of you on the right - they all park/pick up from here and the same on the return.

OP RoyStone 19 Feb 2020
In reply to RoyStone:

Thanks all, great info...

Any views on whether to get Collision Damage Waiver insurance here in UK, or use the rental company's own?

Simon Caldwell 19 Feb 2020
In reply to RoyStone:

In the UK. You can get annual cover for less than the rental companies charge for a single trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...