UKC

Barmouth - Family Hols time!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 26 Aug 2021

It's that time of the year again!  Just before the threads about student clubs start popping up I ask the hivemind for any recommendations for my family hols and this year we are off to Barmouth...

We have kids ranging from 7 - 13 years old.  Tips for good walks gratefully received - shortish walks over interesting terrain are preferable.  Any other ideas also welcomed!

Darron 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Barmouth bridge is good as is the Precipice walk above Llyn Cynwch.

alan moore 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Cwm  Bycan, Roman Steps, Llyn y Cau from Mynnford, Cnicht, Bryn  Cader Faner...all great spots.

rockcatch 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

> Any other ideas also welcomed!

Could give paddleboarding a go for something different https://www.supbarmouth.co.uk/

I’ve not used this provider, but the location looks good. 

Offwidth 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Do the walk in for Barmouth Slabs...you get great family views a bit of easy scrambling and some amazing views.

OP Bobling 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks - I'm taking the gear as traditionally my brother in law and I climb something on our family holidays (Symphony Crack at Rhoscolyn last time) and the venue looks fairly friendly.  May see if the kids want to go but will check it out on my tod first to make sure I'm happy with it!

Forest Dump 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Love that area of Southern Snowdonia / Mid Wales..

Some good wetland walks and estuary stuff within an hr like the Dyfi Biosphere, also the Centre for Alternative Tech for eco stuff

Closer to home, if your not taking bikes you can hire them in Barmouth to do the flat Afon Mawddach trail

The Royal's a decent pub for the grownups

Alex Riley 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

The crag is about as friendly a venue as you could ask for (apart from the steep walk in).

Longer routes on the first tier, easier short routes on the second, all very kid friendly.

Mike Peacock 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Bryn Brith from the Cregennan lakes. One of the finest mini mountains Wales has to offer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/finwright/4007736005

OP Bobling 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Thanks to all for the replies...and thanks to the mystery disliker who took the effort to dislike every post on the thread, your work is not wasted!

Darron 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Re Barmouth slabs. There is a car park at the top of the road that thus avoids the steep walk from the town.

d_b 27 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

I agree with the barmouth slabs recommendations.  There are a couple of diffs on the lower tier that would be fine for top roping children.  A mix of belay stakes, boulders and nut belays at the top iirc.

If you want to borrow a guide and haven't left yet then give me a shout.

wilkesley 27 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walks-Around-Barmouth-Mawddach-Estuary/dp/19023028...

We found this very useful when the children were younger. Lots of interesting short walks.

OP Bobling 30 Aug 2021
In reply to Forest Dump:

Haha, I spent last night listening to a group of Brummies who had been kicked out of the Royal fighting, loving and swearing in the town square for about an hour up to 12.30.  Turns out my rental is just over the road!

Barmouth Slabs have proved a delightful child and novice venue.  Very good!

NorthernGrit 31 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Head down to Tywyn and Ride the Talyllyn railway. Plenty of walks to be had from the stations too. Dolgoch falls is nice.

Siward 31 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Go and find Tilman's house.

Doubt they'll let you in though  

Myfyr Tomos 31 Aug 2021
In reply to Siward:

Have a look at 11 Porkington Terrace in Barmouth, the home of Owen Glynne Jones's mother, and virtually, his second home after the death of his parents. I think there's a commemorative plaque on the house.

Post edited at 20:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...