UKC

/ Basic campsites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
teh_mark on 06 Apr 2018

One of my favourite campsites in the country is the one at Hen Cloud; often empty during the week and no fancy facilities, just a field, and water and toilet a short walk down the hill.

Can anyone suggest other places like this - basic, quiet and not full of families with tennis nets and gazebos everywhere? Anywhere in the country is good. Planning on heading somewhere, anywhere once I get my car back next week and need a bit of inspiration.

spidermonkey09 - on 06 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

Pembroke: both in Bosherston and St Petrox.

Also Eric Byne Memorial in the Peak.

Nant Peris opposite the pub.

Gordale Scar campsite during the week.

Apologies if you're aware of all of these!

Post edited at 16:48
d_b on 06 Apr 2018
In reply to spidermonkey09:

St Petrox has showers and everything!

There used to be a basic one at Wardlow Mires.  Not been there for years so no idea if it is still there.

The pub on coll allows free camping out the back.  There's an outdoor tap and toilets in the bar.

Neil Williams - on 06 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

I used to say Gwern Gof Isaf on the A5 in North Wales but the new owner (daughter of the former owner) is poshing it up somewhat.  The similar Gwern Gof Uchaf a bit further along is probably still basic like Isaf was though.

Lornajkelly - on 06 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

Nant Peris is one of my favourites.  Also in Wales the one by Llynau Mymbyr, across the road from RAC boulders. 

I stayed at Baysbrown farm recently as well, in Chapel Stile - decent facilities but not decent enough for it to seem like Shell Island.  It's big enough as well that you could be nowhere near anyone else.  If you stay there you might hear nightjars flying around at night, in case that affects your decision

teh_mark on 06 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

Thanks all.

Gordale Scar or Chapel Stile could be winners, being not too far from Newcastle. I've stayed at the Eric Byne Memorial campsite before, unfortunately the logistics would be a bit difficult at the minute with needing crutches and all. The Pembrokeshire and North Wales options will be noted for future trips!

Ramblin dave - on 06 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

Surely Sheigra is the classic of this genre? Also a bit far from Newcastle, though.

GrahamD - on 06 Apr 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Surely Sheigra is the classic of this genre? Also a bit far from Newcastle, though.

...get in before the f*cking midges, though

Jon Stewart - on 06 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

Stonethwaite, borrowdale's a good'un. No one would drive a flash car full of children down that rocky lane (well away from the road), it's a beautiful spot on the river (beware midges late summer), and the facilities are basic (awful, some might say). 

Bulls Crack - on 07 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

Rhosson campsite St Davids opposite Ramsay Island. Basic facilities lovely position and hasn't changed in about 40 years £4 a night still I think. . You will get families  but good for them! 

Chris Harris - on 07 Apr 2018
Darron - on 07 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

Grange in Borrowdale and the one above Shorncliffe (Beeches?) in the Wye valley.

Apologies if either have been gentrified recently.

NorthernGrit - on 07 Apr 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Give over. I’ve family camped there. It also seems to be a favourite for groups of lads from the North east to drink Carling and blast music all night (which has stopped me returning of late). It’s even got a toilet block albeit a composting.

Lovely spot though.

Jon Stewart - on 07 Apr 2018
In reply to NorthernGrit:

> Give over. I’ve family camped there. It also seems to be a favourite for groups of lads from the North east to drink Carling and blast music all night (which has stopped me returning of late).

There are families there, I'll grant you. But not many with gazebos and the like. Never experienced the Carling lad scene myself, either I've been lucky or you've been unlucky. I really like the place, and I don't want any more than the minimum (I'm happiest in a beautifully situated layby tbh).

jess13 - on 07 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

Ewegales in Dentdale, not far from Dent Station. Toilet,tap,shower that looks as though it hasnt been used for years you'll be sharing it with some large spiders. Riverside,flat pitches and about half a mile to the nearest pub.

Trangia on 08 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

I used to go to a site near Swanage called California Farm back in the 80s which fitted your criteria. I don't know if it's still the same?

GrahamD - on 08 Apr 2018
In reply to Trangia:

California used to be ace. Not sure whether it still functions in it' original form any more. Would be good to know given its proximity to the climbing.

c9smith8 - on 08 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

There's a campsite by Llanthony Priory in the Black mountains. Was just water and loos a couple years back, next to a river and a pub around the corner!!

Wainers44 - on 08 Apr 2018

in reply to teh_mark:*

There was a "new" one at Sennen last summer. Entrance is next to the shop on the A30 (not the busiest road in the world only a mile from its end!).

Just a field, loads of space and loos and showers in a portacabin, but they were really nice. Footpath nearby down to the beach/cove. We stayed a couple of times, it was great. Please don't tell anyone though, we want it to stay quiet!

james.slater - on 09 Apr 2018
In reply to c9smith8:

The best campsite in the world as far as im concerned. Been camping there for years. Great walks, pints in the priory and the mooing and smell of cows all summer long

Andy Johnson on 09 Apr 2018
In reply to NorthernGrit:

I've never camped there, but I have walked past the site a couple of times in the last few years and was dismayed by how noisy it was. Last time there was a marquee-type tent with a sound system blasting out music.

Noisy selfish people pretty-much ruined family camping for me.

Andy Johnson on 09 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

The camping area at Sheildaig is very basic. Tap near the gate and public toilets down the hill neat the road. Also the free site at Torridon village, but it does tend to be wet and midgey.

Bulls Crack - on 09 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

For the anthesis of a good camping experience go here:http://eweleaze.co.uk/  

Industrial scale basic!

Hat Dude on 09 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

In the early 90s we camped at a "site" just outside Church Knowle in Purbeck which was a field with a tap, no loos.

I remember exactly where it was so have just had a look on Google Maps Streetview & there's a small sign which says "Horse Ground Camping"

No idea what it might be like now but it still looks like just a field.

teh_mark on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

Thanks all. Going to head to Dentdale to read, enjoy some hopeful solitude, and potentially ignore my surgeon and ride a real bike. Expect the thread on my subsequent injury early next week.

Post edited at 01:00
Siward on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

Abbots farm, Goathland.

Haven't been there for 20 years but still looks the same old place, except they seem ti have a bunkhouse now instead of just a field and a bucket.

http://abbotshouse.org.uk/

Dr.S at work - on 12 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

It looks like its gone slighty flasher of late, but the lower camping field at graig wen is pretty good, allows fires and stunning views.

https://www.graigwen.co.uk/camping-3/

leland stamper on 20 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

On top of the Mendips -water toilets views-walking climbing caving biking

https://www.facebook.com/TheBatchCampsite/

ChrisJD on 20 Apr 2018
In reply to teh_mark:

We tend to very discretely stealth it nowadays in van, but here are a few suggestions.

- Cae Du in N.Wales

- Hollow Fm near Cratcliffe (also camped at farm opposite).

- Farm next to Lannacombe Beach, South Devon

Neil Williams - on 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Should probably go to the National Trust sites and similar then, they're quite big on there not being noise nuisance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.