UKC

Beginner spots in Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 speculoos 14 Mar 2018

TL;DR: Looking for some easier/beginner/shorter sport climbing areas between Valencia and Siurana.

In full: I’m currently vanning around Spain and am hoping to find some easier sport spots somewhere between the Almeria area (Cabo de Gata, to be specific) and Siurana, where I’ll be meeting friends in a few weeks  

I climb about 6b indoors and this will be my first experience sport climbing on real rock, so I’m looking for some kinder routes to get me going before heading to Siurana and Margalef in late March (hopefully with a bunch of outdoor climbs under my belt before attempting some bigger routes there!).

any tips greatly appreciated. Also, if any one knows of a good multi-pitch climbing course in Spain, I’d be interested in that too..

Cheers, A

Mark Haward 14 Mar 2018
In reply to speculoos:

Try the team at Orange House, Rich and Sam are great.

two_tapirs 14 Mar 2018
In reply to speculoos:

Plenty of low grade sports climbing around Calpe

The Norris 14 Mar 2018
In reply to speculoos:

Vilanova de Prades - Camping

Arboli

Cubells

Sant Llorenç de Montgai (fantastic place to do your first multi pitch sport)

Mark Eddy 14 Mar 2018
In reply to speculoos:

As already been mentioned, Calpe is a winner easy access, low-mid grade climbing. Sierra de Toix has loads of single and multi-pitch routes with something to suit most folk.

A few other crags in the same area that give good single pitch climbing: Ambolo; Font d'axia; Alcalali; Olta; Morro Falqui; Echo Valley.

Bit more info here too: http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/costa-blanca-rock-climbing.html

Enjoy

Mark

Mike Shamash 15 Mar 2018
In reply to speculoos:

there are loads of crags with plenty of friendly grades. I have found the following places good for gaining confidence.  Redovan (el rut area above the cemetery) Marin Forada (a very beautiful place) Alcalali Guadalest Vall de Guadar (Echo Valley)

Also very good Jerica, Tallat Roig, Montanejos and the easy sectors near Chullila

enjoy!

OP speculoos 16 Mar 2018
In reply to speculoos:

Thanks for the advice, all! In Calpe now and heading up to the crags tomorrow!

Sam Mayfield 19 Mar 2018
In reply to speculoos:

Orange House ok this week to find partners however from Sunday the 25th the places is closed as we have one large Uni group, best to let them have the whole place and clean up when they leave! 

Sam Orange 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...