/ Benny Beg for 7 year olds

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
lex 08 Aug 2019

Hi all,

Thinking of taking my 7 year old pal climbing for his first outdoor climb and wondered if Benny Beg would be suitable? Can I get access to the bolts at the top from the top so I can set up a top rope for him? 

Some of the comments talk about chopped bolts - are the bolts OK now?

Is the descent just round the back?

On the logbook here, it says the topo is at Scottish Climbs but I think the site is down? Any online versions?

Any other suggestions for places for kids? Ideally somewhere reachable from Edinburgh and this weekend, on the way to Glen Coe? 

Cheers,

Lex

Heike 08 Aug 2019
In reply to lex:

Hi there,

It is very suitable if you know what you are doing. There are bolts, easy access to the top and lots of climbs of an easy nature. The guidebook I can recommend is the SMC Scottish sports climbs one. But for a first-timer a lot of not even listed lines at the left hand site might be even more suitable. We took my son's P2 or 3 class  there a couple years ago, lots of kids who had never climbed before and just rigged a few ropes on the left hand side. 

Heike

Martin W 08 Aug 2019
In reply to lex:

> On the logbook here, it says the topo is at Scottish Climbs but I think the site is down?

The ghost of scottishclimbs.com lingers on, despite the message on the home page (which has been there for a good many years) that it is shutting down.  The URL for the Benny Beg guide on the site is:

https://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Benny_Beg.html

However, the photos with the lines marked have gone AWOL so it's of limited use, unfortunately.

My recollection is that the walk off the top is trivially straightforward.

lex 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Martin W:

Great, thank for the replies. Hopefully the weather will play ball now.... Cheers, Lex

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.