UKC

Berchtesgaden alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MB42 19 Feb 2020

Hi wondering if anyone can give some advice on Berchtesgaden, planning on heading there the 2nd week in May. Does anyone know which guidebook covers the climbing around the town of Berchtesgaden? The guidebook I've found is 'Berchtesgaden Ost' which its unclear on its coverage and there doesn't seem to be a corresponding west guidebook. Or are we better basing ourselves on the Austrian side of the border? We're hoping to do a mix of climbing, walking and VF and there seems to be more of the latter on the German side.

I also realise its quite early in the year so would be interested if anyone had an idea of how much that might curtail climbing activites, a quick google suggests theres probably enough stuff low down? And will obviously look before we go but are we likely to want to take winter kit out for the walking?

Thanks!

pavelk 19 Feb 2020
In reply to MB42:

ou can find something here

https://www.bergsteigen.com/touren/

For easier orientation try mapansicht (top row - ansicht - symbol on the right)

OP MB42 19 Feb 2020
In reply to pavelk:

Cheers!

I also dug up a pdf of some pages of that guide which answers my question - the guide does cover the climbing around Berchtesgaden town

AlanLittle 20 Feb 2020
In reply to MB42:

> I also realise its quite early in the year so would be interested if anyone had an idea of how much that might curtail climbing activites, a quick google suggests theres probably enough stuff low down?

Untersberg/Salzburger Hochthron has south facing multipitch routes that are generally climbable all year round. Verdon style ab-in approach though, so you need to be confident of your ability to get back out again.

> And will obviously look before we go but are we likely to want to take winter kit out for the walking? 

Often surprisingly much snow still lying in late spring/early summer, but I've never encountered anything that microspikes & a lightweight touring axe couldn't handle. And this has been a very snow-light winter so far.

OP MB42 20 Feb 2020
In reply to AlanLittle:

Brilliant thanks! Exactly the information I was looking for. Really looking forward to going now

Toerag 20 Feb 2020
In reply to MB42:

some decent webcams in the area which will give you an idea of what's likely to be white or not (click the image to zoom in)

https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/funtenseetauern/2019/05/17/1600

select info > general map to see where they all are.

Post edited at 15:12
 Jay83 20 Feb 2020
In reply to MB42:

There is a very good climbing wall in Berchtesgaden and if my memory is not playing tricks with me there is a climbing bookshop on the premises. 

If Berchtesgaden is covered in snow you might find Karlstein isn't. The guidebook for that area is Chiemgau Rock by Christoph Muller and has English translation sections.

AlanLittle 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Jay83:

Good point. The Chiemgau book is excellent

tjekel 21 Feb 2020
In reply to MB42:

That time of the year, routes on Hohes Brett may be in condition as well, while the West face of Göll certainly is not.

Short multipitch alternatives for less stable weather include Schober, Plombergstein & Falkenstein, all facing south and lower down. Approx. One hour drive from Berchtesgaden, and minimal (5-30') walk-in. Similar stuff is availlable near Weissbach close to Lofer (both cragging and multipitch). 

OP MB42 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks! What a great website.

OP MB42 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Jay83:

Ah good to know, gives us a good back up and thanks for the guidebook pointer

OP MB42 22 Feb 2020
In reply to tjekel:

> That time of the year, routes on Hohes Brett may be in condition as well, while the West face of Göll certainly is not.

Brilliant thanks, gives me more to pore over in the guide when it arrives

We've climbed at Plombergstein and Falkenstein before but the Wiessbach stuff looks like a good low level alternative we haven't been to and wasn't on the radar. Especially as it turns out its in one of the guides we already own.

Post edited at 11:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...