UKC

best autumn month for Leonidio?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 20 Mar 2018

Early October or November?  Or are both options equally good?

Stairclimber 20 Mar 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

We hit an apparently unusual really hot spell, last October, which meant the beach was great, but climbing restricted because of the aspect of much of the climbing. I would go back in November next time.

Jon Stewart 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Stairclimber:

> We hit an apparently unusual really hot spell, last October, which meant the beach was great, but climbing restricted because of the aspect of much of the climbing. I would go back in November next time.

There's a great variety of hot and cold crags, surely? Go high up the gorge to the shady stuff and it should be pretty cool if it's too hot on the sunny crags nearer the sea. In Feb, we found it occasionally too hot at Theos, but it was definitely cold at Elona.

To the OP - although I've not been at those times my guess is either would be fine, but choose your crag according to the weather. There's plenty to choose from!

dominic o 21 Mar 2018

We also caught the hot spell in Leonidio (and Kyparissi) for the last three weeks in October. As other posters have said, there are plenty of orientation and altitude options to allow climbing in hot and chilly  weather. We climbed on about 15 different crags to suit the conditions and hadn't exhausted the possibilities.

Check out https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/category/greece/leonidio/ and https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/category/greece/peloponnese/ for a sample of what is  on offer! 

Post edited at 07:48
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Mar 2018

We were there last few days of October, start of November last year. It was generally a bit cloudy, so not too hot - but it was mega-busy. French and German school holidays apparently. 

Personally I wouldn't go at that time of year again,

Chris

Simon Caldwell 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Chris Craggs:

We were there the following week and despite the climbing festival the weekend we arrived, it was pretty quiet. So I guess the moral is to find out when local school/public holidays are before booking, though despite having been affected by it a couple of times I never bother!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...