UKC

Best British port or harbour?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 09 Jan 2018
Nobody say Grimsby
In reply to The Lemming:

Taylor's
 wintertree 09 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Cove Harbour.

Accessed via a long tunnel in the headland, almost abandoned and excellent swimming out to sea down the channel.
 Tom Valentine 09 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Jenny's Cove.
 Hat Dude 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> Nobody say Grimsby

Old Grimsby, Isles of Scilly
 Ramblin dave 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Arriving at Aberdeen on the NorthLink ferry is quite good - it's a big harbour, and I like the way that as you come in, it goes from being a long jetty in the distance to a thing that gradually envelops you while the city rises up above.
 OwenM 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Canna harbour.
 JLS 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

>"Best British port or harbour?"

Depends if there is a storm, dinnit.
 Toerag 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Creux Harbour in Sark, or Saints Harbour in Guernsey if you like small, old and picturesque.
 Chris the Tall 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I think Tobermory is quite pretty, and the fact that the village is named after a character in one of my favourite TV shows is a bonus
OP The Lemming 10 Jan 2018
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> I think Tobermory is quite pretty, and the fact that the village is named after a character in one of my favourite TV shows is a bonus

Yes Tobermory is most possibly at the top of my harbour list. And in no particular order I'd add Newquay in Wales and Knoydart Harbour. Knoydart gets on my list as it holds many happy memories of spending a week wild camping in the hills after rocking up at the harbour.

Post edited at 17:50
 Dauphin 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:
Stackpole Quay. Fond of Cruden Bay also.

D.

Edited for auto-generated correct.
Post edited at 18:01
 Billhook 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Gibraltar is quite nice. Excellent bit of rock too. For somewhere a little quieter I'd recommend Catalan Bay.
 Andy Long 10 Jan 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Unfortunately there's a bar across the the mouth of it which is impassable in a big swell. A SE gale can close it for days. Lerwick, on the other hand, is a phenomenal natural harbour which is never closed, in a part of the world where it's sorely needed!
 Pbob 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Definitely the one on the north end of Barra
 Doug 10 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave Perry:

Though Catalan Bay isn't really a harbour. Although not really 'the best', the harbour I've been most thankful to get into was Peterhead escaping from a storm in a small sailing boat. But Tobermory is probably the prettiest that I've sailed into in the UK.
In reply to The Lemming:
We regularly sail in & out of Oban and still think it is rather special. Perhaps it is the prospect of some of the best fish & chips ever at the Oban Fish & Chips Shop.
Post edited at 19:28
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I recall the Guinness was very well respected too.
 Jack Frost 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Mallaig

Not only because it's a long way from anywhere, but also because it's the departure point of many island adventures. Or Knoydart fun.
In reply to The Lemming:
For a while I lived in North Wales and after climbing on Anglesey we always used to call at a pub in Holyhead that did the most divine Guinness you have ever tasted. It was brought in direct from Dublin and so different to the Park Royal brewed stuff.
In reply to The Lemming:

on climbing rest or rainy days in Cornwall, I like like to sit on the harbour wall at Lamorna Cove around high tide and catch Wrasse and Dogfish on a little rod and line. Very relaxing, then pop into the Lamorna Wink for a beer on the way out. Nothing much going on there apart from the coastal path coming through the cove.
 Dave 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

If you stretch it to include anchorages then I reckon David Balfour's Bay in Erraid (Mull) would take some beating. I think there is even climbing close by. For climbers then the anchorage at the head of Loch Scavaig close to where the Coruisk stream comes out is pretty amazing, being in the midst of the Cuillin. But as a Yorkshireman I'll vote for Staithes.
In reply to Dave:
The Scavaig anchorage with a landing that included a walk on the shores of Coruisk is a deeply imprinted memorial high point for me also.
 Nevis-the-cat 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Soay, on a falling tide to focus the mind......

Arisaig is quite lovely as well.

I used to police Grimsby back in the day and the docks, in a mist, at night with the fog horn sounding had an ethereal eerie quality to them, especially when the North Sea is millpond calm. It's as if it's giving up its millenia of history to you, inviting you in.....
 overdrawnboy 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Depends whether you're looking for a fight, a f*ck, fish and chips or a mooring.
I wonder which covers all these the best?
 Dave 10 Jan 2018
In reply to overdrawnboy:

> Depends whether you're looking for a fight, a f*ck, fish and chips or a mooring.

> I wonder which covers all these the best?

Grimsby?

> Depends whether you're looking for a fight, a f*ck, fish and chips or a mooring.

> I wonder which covers all these the best?

Would you be talking about Blackpool or Fleetwood?
 overdrawnboy 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> Would you be talking about Blackpool or Fleetwood?

Can a fellow tie up his barque in Blackpool? Maybe Fleetwood has nosed ahead.
 Ridge 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Whitehaven. It's like Keighley by the sea.
 overdrawnboy 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Something brought Seaton Carew to my mind...........shivers quietly.
 FactorXXX 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Lundy.
 daWalt 10 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Seacliffe Harbour - about 5km E of North Berwick.
facilities are however..... limited.
In reply to The Lemming:

Uig in Skye

Trangia 11 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Portsmouth

summo 11 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Immingham? 

Hull is now a city of culture, so is immingham the gateway, there's probably lots of culture growing in the water.

Hat Dude 11 Jan 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Lamorna would be a good call apart from the parking and they ruined the Lamorna Wink a few years ago

Toccata 11 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

A few cliches, but all favourites.

Mullion, Mylor and Trevaunance in Cornwall.

Clovelly, Devon

Solva in Pembrokeshire

Portpatrick in D&G

Glenuig, Ardgour (the views)

Portsoy

Staithes

Andy Johnson 11 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Kingston Upon Hull

cousin nick 11 Jan 2018

> Something brought Seaton Carew to my mind...........shivers quietly.

Wasn't Seaton Carew an aquaintance of Chuffer Dandridge?

(I still miss Wogan in the mornings!)

Dogwatch 11 Jan 2018

Salcombe, preferably outside school holidays.

In reply to Hat Dude:

Not been to Lamorna for a while. What happened to the Wink?

abr1966 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Arriving at Aberdeen on the NorthLink ferry is quite good - it's a big harbour, and I like the way that as you come in, it goes from being a long jetty in the distance to a thing that gradually envelops you while the city rises up above.

+1

Slowly leaving Aberdeen on the ferry to Shetland on a dark winter night.....looking at the massive rig support vessels lit up at night is a real spectacle....knowing you may have an 'interesting' night ahead of you!

OP The Lemming 11 Jan 2018
In reply to abr1966:

The Belfast to Liverpool can also be entertaining in the winter. 

As a teen I did this crossing one winter where we were the lasty ferry to be allowed to leave for the UK.  Practically every glass smashed and the curtains continually rotated to hit the ceiling.

Thankfully I have never endured the larne stranraer ferry crossing in full-on conditions

petestack 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Dave:

> If you stretch it to include anchorages then I reckon David Balfour's Bay in Erraid (Mull) would take some beating.

It's beautiful, but only as an occasional anchorage in settled conditions... a complete trap at other times, which pretty well disqualifies it from my understanding of 'harbour'.

Joak 11 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Back in ma seafaring days, at the end of a six or nine month foreign deployment, every UK port or harbour I ever tied up in brought a tear of joy to my eye.  

In reply to The Lemming:

Everybody says Stourport 

Mal Grey 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Jack Frost:

> Mallaig
> Not only because it's a long way from anywhere, but also because it's the departure point of many island adventures. Or Knoydart fun.

I have a fondness for Mallaig too, being the only port I have arrived at (twice) under my own steam (open canoe) from other places.

Tarbet on Nevis for being the most welcoming place I've ever arrived at, pushing a canoe over a hill, and been put up for 3 days for free whilst we sat out the weather.

Port Askaig is a nice little spot.

Diabeg is a fabulous spot

Tayvallich is very pretty and has a good cafe.

Ullapool has a character of its own, and a bustling feel to it.

Staithes is lovely

Shoreham is the only harbour I know with its own little surf wave to play on at certain tides.

To be honest, most ports and harbours have something about them, some flavour of the sea, something of being on the edge. Except Felixstowe, its a dump.

GrahamD 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Mal Grey:

> To be honest, most ports and harbours have something about them, some flavour of the sea, something of being on the edge. Except Felixstowe, its a dump.

Southwold Harbour and the Harbour Inn if you're near Felixstowe

Hat Dude 12 Jan 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

A photo of the Wink post "improvement"

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/18/79/77/main-bar-area.j...

Almost sacrilege!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...