UKC

Best "Climbers Pub" inside the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jbrom 23 Nov 2022

Inspired by the "Best climbers bar outside the UK" thread and the suggestion that this thread might not work as there isn't a climbers pub in the UK.

Is that the case or can we get a beer fueled tick list together?

In reply to jbrom:

It'll just be a big fight between the st govs crowd and the odg brigade.

Dave Ferguson 23 Nov 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Stackpole Inn over St Govs any day.

Webster 23 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Iv not been in many years, but the pub under Nevisport in Fort William definitely had a 'climbers pub' feel to it, and is inside an outdoor shop after all! You are probably more likely to find climbers recounting horror stories from their exploits on the Ben in the spoons on the high street these days however...

Mike-W-99 23 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

One of the things I like climbing in Langdale is you have a choice of not one but three pubs to choose from.

Wasdale inn for me though. They had some brilliant beer on last time I visited which was after a very memorable day on Scafell.

Removed User 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Wasdale Inn is a good shout, it benefits from being a little more remote than the ODG and the history wrought out on the fells there stretches just that little bit further back in time.

In reply to Removed User:

Wasdale Inn is a decent shout in truth. For me though it’s a toss up between the Marisco and the Square and Compass.

The former has nothing going for it except the location and an outdoor urinal with a view over the Bristol Channel, but that’s good enough for me.

As to the latter, the first time we went the couple at the next table were talking about how to section their son. The second time there was a folk band playing and a couple quite unconcernedly having sex in a chair next to the guitarist. You can’t beat that sort of ambience.

An honourable mention to the one in that village beginning with P above Cheddar. And the Logan Inn, if that’s its name.

Then there’s the ones in Llanberis and the Peak. I can’t think they’ll get many votes.

In last place, the ones in Holyhead. I’ve seldom felt closer to being randomly stabbed in my life.

jcm

In reply to Dave Ferguson:

> Stackpole Inn over St Govs any day.

I must have misunderstood what a climbers pub is then. I'd have thought it meant one that was full of climbers, and that you don't need to book a week in advance, dress up, and remortgage to visit.

DaveHK 24 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Did the climbers bar survive the Kingshouse refurb? I never really liked it but it was definitely a climbers bar.

DerwentDiluted 24 Nov 2022
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> As to the latter, the first time we went the couple at the next table were talking about how to section their son. The second time there was a folk band playing and a couple quite unconcernedly having sex in a chair next to the guitarist. You can’t beat that sort of ambience.

UKC paragraph of the year for me.  I'd vote for the Marisco as well even though the decor is more nautical. It feels like an essential part of the climbing day, whereas pubs on the mainland feel more like a choice.

John Gresty 24 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

In the Kingshouse bar, many years ago, and moaning about the weather, (2 days of solid rain) when the barman said 'The ben will be in good nick tomorrow' and he was spot on. believe the barman was Ian N.

Last time in there a few years ago, definately a different vibe,

John

j_duds 24 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

St. Govans Inn is a great pint after climbing at Pembroke. 

Old Dungeon Ghyll had some fun times in their. 

Sticklebarn when I last got inside was good but that was years ago, oddly it was shut in the evening on a recent visit this summer. 

Clachaig Inn - possibly the best in Scotland, but I've not visited them all yet!  

I'd like a nice pub/bar in Llanberis/Nant Peris area, my last visits to the pubs in that area didn't inspire me to visit those pubs again! 

I'm hoping this thread will provide me some new pubs to explore/drink in! 

Removed User 24 Nov 2022

Is that the Square and Compass by Almscliff?! I'm all for some rutting, but best out the back in the car park.

Ciro 24 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

The boots bar at the clachaig inn.

Over 100 single malts on the top shelf, good range of hand pulled beers, same food available as the fancy bar out front (hope they still do the haggis in Drambuie sauce!), good pool table, live bands at the weekend... Haven't been there in a long time, I'm talking myself into a visit to glencoe as I type 😁

DaveHK 24 Nov 2022
In reply to John Gresty:

> In the Kingshouse bar, many years ago, and moaning about the weather, (2 days of solid rain) when the barman said 'The ben will be in good nick tomorrow' and he was spot on. believe the barman was Ian N.

Did he not own it?

> Last time in there a few years ago, definately a different vibe,

Haven't been since the change of ownership and refurb but it had become a bit of a dump and badly needed a change. Sticky carpets, strange smells, poor food, poor beer and an unwelcoming atmosphere.

Post edited at 09:23

No, Worth Maltravers, above Swanage.

jcm

65 24 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Did he not own it?

Yes, early-mid 80s to mid-late 90s.

abr1966 24 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Did the climbers bar survive the Kingshouse refurb? I never really liked it but it was definitely a climbers bar.

No....it's far from a climbers bar! 

I've stayed a couple of times and like the hotel but it's not like the old place...

abr1966 24 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Times have changed....

Wasdale Head...Clachaig....Kingshouse...ODG....

...all not what they were!

Great times in all of them back in the day but the culture around climbing has changed and there is a wider pool of people visiting these places now....

Dave Hewitt 24 Nov 2022

> No, Worth Maltravers, above Swanage.

Ah, I was thinking of the Darley Dale Square and Compass, which didn't quite fit with the sectioning-and-sex vibe. Interesting that there are at least three pubs with what has always felt (in terms of the Derbyshire one) like quite an unusual name. Think I've been in the Derbyshire version once, late 1970s, after we'd been well beaten at cricket by Darley Dale 2nd XI when I seemed to spend all afternoon shuttling from deep long leg to deep long leg between overs on a very hot day.

Arms Cliff 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> Interesting that there are at least three pubs with what has always felt (in terms of the Derbyshire one) like quite an unusual name.

those Masons get everywhere! 

Dave Hewitt 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Arms Cliff:

> those Masons get everywhere! 

Indeed! A quick search finds another one in Whitley Bay, and there's also a Square and Compasses (plural) in Essex.

Cog 24 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Did he not own it?

Think he was the manager not the owner.

Mike-W-99 24 Nov 2022
In reply to j_duds:

> Old Dungeon Ghyll had some fun times in their. 

> Sticklebarn when I last got inside was good but that was years ago, oddly it was shut in the evening on a recent visit this summer. 

I was also there this summer. Some sort of staffing issue.

> Clachaig Inn - possibly the best in Scotland, but I've not visited them all yet!  

I haven't been in ages but we've a club meet along the road in a few weeks

TheGeneralist 24 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Did the climbers bar survive the Kingshouse refurb? I never really liked it but it was definitely a climbers bar.

I was going to ask exactly this!

My understanding is that the building was completely razed so probably not. Intrigued what they replaced it with.

Happy memories of an impromptu stop there with the Langie 33 years ago on the way back from Torridon.  Quick beer turned into a memorable session and dossing in Chod's caravan.

Me trying to convince my dad that I can't do a driving lesson the next day because I was still well over the alcohol limit...

<edit. Ian defo owned the Kingy when I worked there in 1990. I recall Guy the barman raving Martin Moran's Scottish Winter Mountains" book and loving hearing Ian's stories about his climbing exploits.years before.

Beautifully rounded off when I started seeing GtB's (Robertson) own stories about doing first ascents of heinous winter testpieces himself 25 years later. 

Post edited at 12:52
 65 24 Nov 2022
In reply to TheGeneralist:

You and I must have run into each other. I was at the Clachaig about the same time.

Brian the Geordie chef was one the funniest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Post edited at 13:23
 Paul Hy 24 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

The Moon Inn in Stoney is not the same as it once was.

TheGeneralist 24 Nov 2022
In reply to 65:

> Brian the Geordie chef was one the funniest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Longish curly ish hair and a limp? Great fan of Robert Plant.  I recall him throwing a frying pan full of eggs at me as I went through the door back into the dining room one morning! The look on the guests' faces was most amusing.

Then there was someone even madder who used to wake up campers by the river by firing his shotgun from the hotel window apparently.  Can't recall his name.

Then Bob, the only non insane chef, who had a B&B in Glencoe village for a bit. He was sound.

65 24 Nov 2022

Aye that’s definitely Brian.

Killer Brian story: 

Ian introduced Brian to Chris Bonington. It went like this.

Ian: “Chris, this is Brian our chef. Brian, this is Chris Bonington.”

CB: “Pleased to meet you Brian, do you do any climbing?”

Brian, “Er, no. I gan walkin’ an’ I dee a bit o’ fishing’ and bordwatchin’ but I divvent climb. How about yee, do you climb yerself?”

All with a totally straight face.

Don’t recall the shotgun story but there was a character round Strontium who would get sloshed then sit in his chair with a shotgun and blast holes in his ceiling.

Bob rings a bell but the manager of the Clachaig at that time was called Bob.

doz 24 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

If you're getting back down before closing you're doing something wrong...

Dave Cundy 24 Nov 2022

> An honourable mention to the one in that village beginning with P above Cheddar. And the Logan Inn, if that’s its name.

So are you thinking of the Hunter's Lodge, just outside Priddy?  An excellent choice for the 'best CAVING pubs in the UK' thread...

As to all the other pubs..  well, there's rhe Star, rhe Golden Rule (back in the 80s), the Rising Sun, the Ormidale, the Marton Arms (oops, caving again, 90s)

This would make an excellent tick list.

Lankyman 24 Nov 2022

> An honourable mention to the one in that village beginning with P above Cheddar.

Priddy Green? I caved on Mendip a few times at Easter, late seventies and there were definitely some cavers' pubs around. Getting drunk on cider was a novelty for a northerner.

Lankyman 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cundy:

> So are you thinking of the Hunter's Lodge, just outside Priddy?  An excellent choice for the 'best CAVING pubs in the UK' thread...

> the Marton Arms (oops, caving again, 90s)

Cavers' pubs definitely featured heavily in my 'upbringing'. Mostly around the Dales. The Marton was good but I saw far more of life in the Hill Inn and Craven (Crazy) Heifer!

Pedro50 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

> Priddy Green? I caved on Mendip a few times at Easter, late seventies and there were definitely some cavers' pubs around. Getting drunk on cider was a novelty for a northerner.

Surely the Queen Victoria at Priddy. At age 14 I was collecting glasses and washing up, paid in pints of scrumpy. 

Chris H 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cundy:

Hunters ….where a mobile phone is nailed up behind the bar as a warning ….

veteye 25 Nov 2022
In reply to j_duds:

The Vaynol Arms at the start of the pass used to be good, but I have a feeling that it may have been sold.

I like the lack of pretentiousness in the ODG, but that may have changed.

The Clachaig seemed to change when they chucked one of the Ayr climbing clubs out of the grounds, where they had some simple accommodation (I was a temporary guest member at one point).

I would recommend the Crask Inn after Munro-bashing, but it would have to be joint hill/climbing/French shooting pub.

The pub/hotel at Sligachan is probably too commercial now.

Anyone know what's happening to the Fox Hall Inn on the A66, which has been a good way-stop, when heading north/south?

Bridge Inn Aviemore, as connected to the bunkhouse?

Peny Gwrd (Terrible spelling I know) over the pass, where the 1953 Everest expedition met? The beer was good in there at my last visit, but possibly a little genteel these days.

dig26 25 Nov 2022

Cracking pub the square & compass. Love the landlord’s fossil museum in the little side room. Nothing fancy just a fine pasty and pint. Good memories! 

kevin stephens 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Marisco Tavern

65 25 Nov 2022
In reply to veteye:

> The Vaynol Arms at the start of the pass used to be good, but I have a feeling that it may have been sold.

I forgot about the Vaynol. Great pub, though I am going back 25 years+

> I like the lack of pretentiousness in the ODG, but that may have changed.

Still the same last time I was there (pre covid)

> The Clachaig seemed to change when they chucked one of the Ayr climbing clubs out of the grounds, where they had some simple accommodation (I was a temporary guest member at one point).

Kyle and Carrick MC? It rings a bell but slightly before my time. I lived in their former bunkhouse for a time. The big change in the Clachaig was c.1990/1991 when the bar was reconfigured and modelled on the ODG with fake stable stall partitions and the cheesy barrels along the bar. There was a definite shift in clientele around then, climbers and walkers, and bikers in summer, didn't necessarily drop off but it became much more of an outdoor theme pub and increasing numbers of 'city boys' discovered it. I didn't much like it the summer, and a lack of reliable conditions in Glencoe from then on helped kill off the winter vibe. The lectures from the big names of the day stopped, they'd been a major feature. Prior to the early 90s the place was always heaving from New year to Easter and the atmosphere was brilliant.

> I would recommend the Crask Inn after Munro-bashing, but it would have to be joint hill/climbing/French shooting pub.

Great place, but, they shoot the French up there??? .

> The pub/hotel at Sligachan is probably too commercial now.

Has been for years, like a coach tour waiting room with a bar. The Old Inn at Carbost is much nicer and has a bunkhouse.

The Newlands in Duddon Valley and the Lampie in Aberdeen haven't been mentioned yet. A note has to go to the sadly long gone 'Tin Shack' at the Nether Lochaber, opposite Paddy's at Onich.

veteye 25 Nov 2022
In reply to 65:

> Great place, but, they shoot the French up there??? .

I did ponder changing my phrase, but I liked the double meaning.

In reply to jbrom:

There was a time when there was a circuit in Sheffield on different nights.

Centre of operations was the Byron in Nether Edge where Paul Nunn, Geoff Birtles, Al Rouse and visiting rockstars et al used to hold court. Noah’s Ark and The Grindstone in Crookes, The Broadfield on London Road, Porter Cottage and The Lescar at Hunters Bar for Andy Pollitt and the Hunter House Road habitues. Scotsmans Pack in Hathersage on Saturday night after cragging.

Obviously there was the Moon in Stoney Middleton where the tax was to buy one of the woodshed dwellers a beer. All long gone now. When the Edge climbing wall was still open, the Psalter Tavern was popular for after climb. More likely to find everyone drinking coffee in the cafe at the Depot these days.

veteye 25 Nov 2022
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

There's no climbing wall in Peterborough currently. We're waiting for the olympic standard wall to be built at Ferry Meadows, but unlikely to be open for at least another 18 months. 

So Northampton is the wall that most of us tend towards.

I have found that there are few pubs near the Pinnacle, and certainly in the last couple of years, they have not stayed open too late. Any pointers to good pubs near there from locals?

kevin stephens 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Let’s face it; climbers’ pubs have been replaced by climbing wall cafes

TheGeneralist 25 Nov 2022
In reply to 65

> Has been for years, like a coach tour waiting room with a bar. The Old Inn at Carbost is much nicer and has a bunkhouse.

Hhmmmm. When were you last there? I have brilliant memories of an Easter trip to Skype with a club on one of the members birthday. We drove across the bridge with the promise of pints  in the sligachan Inn, but it was closed.

Luckily I remembered the Wee Inn from Langie MC days. We drove over and the landlord let us all camp in the garden for a week.  Absolutely awesome, and we trebled his takings that week.

Alas when I visited with the missus 17 years ago it was closed/ turned back into a house.

Has it reopened?

65 25 Nov 2022

I think I last was in the Old Inn in September 2020, and stayed in the bunkhouse. Pub was lovely, food good and all. I think I heard it (or the bunkhouse) was for sale. 

Not sure I’d describe it as a ‘climber’s pub’ per se, but at least the nearest good one to the Cuillin.

jkarran 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Maybe not to everyone's taste and also maybe not a 'climbers' pub' (I haven't been one for years so wouldn't recognise such a thing anymore) but I love the Three Stags' Heads after a day in the Derbyshire dales.

Also another vote for the Square and Compass, it feels like a place with some stories to tell!

jk

beardy mike 25 Nov 2022

Another vote for the Square and Compass. Like you say it's got it all. 30 strong ciders on tap, a short transit from one of the finest seacliffs around, with Ukelele world conventions, proper basic food that you would expect at a "climbers pub" and a casual air of indifference to what goes down.

Clachaig for me is a close second. Always packed with climbers, often a good vibe, Haggis Neeps and Tatties with a tot, what's not to like.

subtle 25 Nov 2022
In reply to 65:

The Clachaig did change vibe / feel at some point although think it was mid/late 90's - certainly when the got rid of the pie oven and put in teh fake stable seating area, all roped off etc

The Kingshouse had been keich for years, run down and shadow of its former self - haven't been in mind since its reincarnation as a bus tour hotel

The OBI in Aviemore is a tad pretentious, suffered the last few years (as most places have) with finding staff and reliable chef etc., although the bar is generally good - and they open up as a beer garden during the summer months, many a happy day there - although not many "climbers" around  

The Old Inn in Carbost was certainly still there in March this year, again more of a general trade place

Nevis sport bar in Fort William still full of climbers /MR folks so that would get my vote - although not many alternatives, as someone mentioned up post climbing wall cafe's seem to be where all the young tigers hang out now

65 25 Nov 2022
In reply to subtle:

> as someone mentioned up post climbing wall cafe's seem to be where all the young tigers hang out now

Dear God, it’s almost as if climbing has become more important than drinking. 

ExiledScot 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

I think so many climbers pubs of old have just lost their mojo, they've become a place to go to just stand in your duvet so it looks like you've come from the Arctic, not the hostel in glencoe for example. If in Ballachulish I'd rather just go to the Laroch instead trekking up the glen. 

Even odg, pure cheese, muppets coming in still wearing their harness, if you can't remove your harness between the top of the crag and car park you need to be booking a course not buying a pint.

The best pubs are those that blend in where you might be the only climbers, not the majority.

Rant over. 

In reply to kevin stephens:

> Let’s face it; climbers’ pubs have been replaced by climbing wall cafes

After years of getting hammered with Andy Pollitt, Joe Simpson et al, and advancing years, I can pretty well no longer drink alcohol without getting ill. I’m hugely enjoying the soya latte at the ClimbingWorks these days 😂

subtle 25 Nov 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

> I think so many climbers pubs of old have just lost their mojo, they've become a place to go to just stand in your duvet so it looks like you've come from the Arctic, not the hostel in glencoe for example. If in Ballachulish I'd rather just go to the Laroch instead trekking up the glen. 

The Laroch, oh dear - either the barn through the back or the ambience of a cafe at the front, nothing in between.

Mind you, theres not much competition is there so needs must.

ExiledScot 25 Nov 2022
In reply to subtle:

I wouldn't rate the clachaig much higher, it just seems a bit cheesy now some how, maybe when the pub starts merchandising itself, that's a turning point. 

Darron 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

I’m (very) sure I’m not alone but I’ve got pissed in virtually every pup mentioned in this thread🙂.

Lankyman 25 Nov 2022
In reply to Darron:

> I’ve got pissed in virtually every pup mentioned in this thread🙂.

That takes dogged determination

kylo-342 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Square and Compass is a great pub, but not really a ‘climber’s pub’ 

Three Stag’s Heads in Wardlow Mires hasn’t been mentioned.  That’s a good’un

my vote goes for Nevisport Bar in Fort William though.  Unpretentious

Rob Parsons 25 Nov 2022

> ... the Square and Compass.

> ... The second time there was a folk band playing and a couple quite unconcernedly having sex in a chair next to the guitarist. You can’t beat that sort of ambience.

I have no problem with people having sex in a pub, provided that they don't try to force it down other people's throats.

Post edited at 20:32
 gooberman-hill 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Of course things are never like they use to be. But back in the 90s there was a whole crew of us from the Kernow Club who regularly spent weekends in West Penwith. Invariably we would spend Saturday night in The Star in St Just, which served a wicked pint of High Speed Diesel. Then at closing time we would move onto the tricky disco in the Commercial Inn across the road. 

The number of routes that were subsequently climbed on Sunday with hangovers was quite remarkable. I even recall someone falling off a belay on Astral Stroll (E1 5b) due to the severity of their hangover!

At the time, it was centre of our climbing universe. Not forgotten!

Kevster 25 Nov 2022
In reply to kylo-342:

The 3 stags head is a great little establishment. One of a kind. I'd suggest as climbers we are just tourists there. Not a part of the furniture. 

Marisco tavern is not what it has been in the past. It used to be thick with customers, tables queued for etc. Last 2 times its been quite barren in comparison and tbh, mostly climber free. A few there. But it seems like many other folk they aren't into a beer or two and a chat to others whom they don't know. Maybe staying at accomodation and nursing a glass of Chablis whilst cooking for themselves. 

St govans also had no significant numbers of climbers the last time I visited. Another shame imo. But it was tending towards costly meals. 

I think the stay at home culture is purvaisive. 

Used to like the cove on Portland. And the kings arms for Swanage. I have not been to either since COVID (and children) so can't say how they fared. 

maybe climbers are more athletes than socialites or dirt bags looking for a warm night these days. 

society has also changed. I worry for pubs, let alone climbers pubs. Get in em whilst we can!

In reply to jbrom:

The Old Crown, Hesket Newmarket, home of the Hesket Spiders.

DC

Rob Parsons 25 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

> The Old Crown, Hesket Newmarket, home of the Hesket Spiders.

Hardly a climbers' pub.

In reply to Darron:

> I’m (very) sure I’m not alone but I’ve got pissed in virtually every pup mentioned in this thread🙂.

Maybe Alan can be persuaded to start a new section of the Logbook?

jcm

Vigier 26 Nov 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

Ha!ha!

Remember being in  the Slig when the door opened and a young guy walked in still wearing his harness and still had his rack dangling from it - mostly cowbells. 
“Just done Pinnacle Ridge”, he proudly announced to the barman, who congratulated him on his achievement. Can you imagine walking out with the cowbells banging against your legs every step of the way?!

PS Slig was never the same after they built that barn of an extension. 

Dave Hewitt 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Vigier:

> PS Slig was never the same after they built that barn of an extension.

On a similar basis, it's arguable that the Clachaig changed after people were stopped from camping beside the bit of the old road between the pub and the A82 junction.

deepsoup 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Vigier:

> Can you imagine walking out with the cowbells banging against your legs every step of the way?!

Perhaps he took his harness off and then put it on again to go into the bar.

Tyler 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

From reading through this thread it seems that there’s no such thing as a climber’s pub anymore so the winner, by default, has to be the Plas y Brenin bar. 

ExiledScot 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Tyler:

>  so the winner, by default, has to be the Plas y Brenin bar. 

Only if you sledge the ski slope on an up turned table after kicking out time. 

kevin stephens 26 Nov 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

The ski slope has long gone

ExiledScot 26 Nov 2022

> The ski slope has long gone

Sad, but i can understand why. 

kevin stephens 26 Nov 2022
In reply to ExiledScot: yes, I remember the struggle to get 4 turns in before crashing into the fence at the bottom

Rich W Parker 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Webster:

The Nevisport bar is no more these days unfortunately. It had a personailty bypass a few years ago but was pleasant enough nonetheless. In more recent times it became a place most people just didn't want to go. The Fort doesn't really have a climbers bar now, as such, it does have some good pubs though. Slightly ironic as there's a good young climbing scene now, reminiscent of the 80s and 90s.

> Maybe Alan can be persuaded to start a new section of the Logbook?

> jcm

Slightly off topic, a pal of mine used to have a map of Scotland on his wall festooned with wee flags, each to represent a pub he had taken a drink in. I particularly liked the flags stuck in the sea off the west coast which represented the bars in Caledonian Macbrayne ferries.

philipivan 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

I camped there with my dad when I was a teenager and we attached our guy line to the no camping sign and swam in the coe, early 90s. Someone approached us and they said, "oh it's fine if you're not tourists". I am half Scottish. Clacaigh was great then and the Vaynol. I spent a lot of time in the pubs in Callendar as a pre teen learning to play pool. 

Arms Cliff 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

It appears one needs a time machine to visit the best climbers pubs in the UK! 

philipivan 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Arms Cliff:

It might be that 

1. Everyone commenting is old

2. Drink driving has gone out of fashion, especially in Scotland where it was once very popular. Even drinking heavily is less popular. 

I remember when I started climbing in the Peak we often went to the little John in hathersage as it was really, really cheap, massive portions and sold ale. 

helix 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

I like to have a drink in the Star Inn in St Just when down in West Penwith. 10+ years ago I took my nephew, who was young adult, down for a climbing weekend in Feb. After an amazing crisp day on Bosigran, we headed to the Star. I told my nephew that it was winter, tourists are tolerated in the summer, but at this time year the locals get their pub back. So we’ll go in, order drinks quietly, and just sit in the corner. We get to the bar, on one pump is Rattler Cyder. Nephew goes ‘Uncle, look! Cyder! Cyder with a Y! With a Y!’ Loudly… Dark looks from the locals. When we sit down I tell him off.

Years later, nephew grew up to be a fine chap, got a tech job, lives in California. It’s a global pandemic. Star Inn puts electric fence around bar. This becomes a novelty news item in US. Nephew’s workmates start laughing about this crazy pub. Crazy Brits!  And he is able to say that he’s actually been there with his uncle.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/13/europe/cornwall-pub-electric-fence-gbr-i...

mbh 26 Nov 2022
In reply to helix:

>I like to have a drink in the Star Inn in St Just when down in West Penwith.

We went there recently and liked it, in a don't-mind-being-ignored kind of way. It's the properest pub in St Just. Mind you, pubs where the locals ignore you and sit in a long line along the bar so you can't even get to it are a pain. The Driftwood Spars in St Agnes comes to mind.

Rob Parsons 26 Nov 2022
In reply to mbh:

> ... pubs where the locals ignore you and sit in a long line along the bar so you can't even get to it are a pain.

Agreed. It's shit pub etiquette.

Wainers44 26 Nov 2022
In reply to mbh:

> >I like to have a drink in the Star Inn in St Just when down in West Penwith.

> We went there recently and liked it, in a don't-mind-being-ignored kind of way. It's the properest pub in St Just. Mind you, pubs where the locals ignore you and sit in a long line along the bar so you can't even get to it are a pain. The Driftwood Spars in St Agnes comes to mind.

The Commercial down there is a bit of an experience too. Good beer though if I recall correctly 

plyometrics 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Black Dog back in the day.

Who doesn’t love a whistling landlord and cheap shit Joey Holts. 

Mike-W-99 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Just thinking but what about the Pine Martin bar at Glenmore? Admittedly it’s predominantly skiers who frequent it in the winter but there must be a few climbers as well?

Post edited at 22:57
 abr1966 26 Nov 2022
In reply to plyometrics:

Black Dog in Belmont?? 

Have you heard the story of the ghost Johnny?

In reply to Rob Parsons:

I strongly recommend you call in the pub and mention that comment, then get up to speed. You will be made very welcome.

DC

Toccata 27 Nov 2022
In reply to plyometrics:

> Black Dog back in the day.

> Who doesn’t love a whistling landlord and cheap shit Joey Holts. 

Preferred The Bull myself (sadly now a block of flats) but just over 20 years ago you could get a pint of Holts in The Dog for less than £1.20 which was exceptional even then.

Toccata 27 Nov 2022
In reply to mbh:

Not sure how many locals in the Drifty. My sister lives in Aggie and they drink in The Railway.

Rob Parsons 27 Nov 2022

> I strongly recommend you call in the pub and mention that comment, then get up to speed. You will be made very welcome.

I get in there a lot, Dave.

midgen 27 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

I usually eat at the the TA (Taigh Ailean Hotel) in Portnalong after a day on the Cuillin.  My parents live on the isle and know the owners well so always get a good welcome. Unpretentious, great food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff.

Did I mention the food is really good? Best fish and chips I've had in the UK. 

plyometrics 27 Nov 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Yup. The one in Belmont. Not heard the ghost story though.

65 27 Nov 2022
In reply to plyometrics:

One that hasn't been mentioned, and definitely not a climber's pub per se but very much a hillwalker's pub is the Drover's Inn at Inverarnan. A must for lovers of medieval dungeons and bad taste taxidermy.

mbh 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Toccata:

I've only once been to The Railway, many years ago. I guess it would be mainly locals, given where it is. I no longer live in the immediate area, but whenever I go to the Driftwood, there always seem to be the same few blokes clogging up either the entrance or the bar, depending on the time of day and year.

My other local shout for a pub I enjoy to go to when I am down in West Penwith that might be familiar to climbers or walkers is the Tinner's Arms at Zennor. Not at all like the Star Inn at St Just, but cosy and welcoming. 

ExiledScot 27 Nov 2022
In reply to mbh:

> My other local shout for a pub I enjoy to go to when I am down in West Penwith that might be familiar to climbers or walkers is the Tinner's Arms at Zennor. Not at all like the Star Inn at St Just, but cosy and welcoming. 

Maybe 30ish years ago we would hire the village hall there and doss for the weekend. Basic but functional, with the farmer crossing their cows over and up a track behind it pretty early on a morning after milking. Great pub.

In that era there was also the wreckers bar, nearer lands end than the first and last? I think it was opposite the camp site. 

rocky crag 27 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

on the basis that a climbers bar is dominated by climbers and other outdoor folk only the Wasdale Head Inn and the ODG are truely climbers bars. The ODG has a history and position that none can match. At this time of the year it has its winter dress code, which is quite discerning no trainers only approach shoes or boots permitted (in summer fell running shoes are allowed), Duvet is obligatory. The dress code has moved with the times, beard, wool trousers (cut at the knee) and wool shirt are no longer obligatory. Anyone not clearly from an outdoor background will be stared at and made to feel that they don't belong (they soon move on once they've finished their half shandy). The walls are covered in pictures of great climbing deeds of the past, their is a log burning stove and its all house in a converted cow shed. Best of all it has the best sing song of any pub in the land every Wednesday night. Can't think of anywhere that matches it😉

Ramon Marin 27 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

st govans in, no question

Neil Williams 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I love the ODG but it's a hillwalker's pub not a climber's pub.  Same with Wasdale Head - a pub that could be crap (because it has no competition) but is actually pretty good.

The NDG is terrible (too small and no atmosphere), and the Sticklebarn is always shut!  (The NT really should flog it off or lease it to someone interested in running it properly!)

Post edited at 20:12
 lex 27 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

If we are using a time machine, The Railway in Hale had a fair smattering of climbers on a Thursday night, I think it was. 

It was, for a time at least, the meeting place for The Altrincham All-stars. Ken Wilson, Nick Estcourt, Pete Boardman, Dave Pearce, Chris Bonnington, Martin Boysen, Tom Leppert, John Yates and many others... Was there ever a pub with so many... all stars, so far from any climbing?

David Lanceley 28 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Surprisingly I don't see a mention of the Padarn Lake in Llanberis.  From the mid-sixties to the mid-eighties must have been the ultimate climber's bar.  The Landlord in those days Clive was sympathetic to climber antics, beer throwing, fights with the locals etc. and on weekend nights the place would be rammed with the famous, the not-so-famous and various hangers-on.   

Carless 28 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

The Crown on the green in Groombridge used to be great

Does being near Southern Sandstone qualify for a climber's pub?

Wimlands 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Carless:

Many a pint of Harvey’s drunk there after an evening at Harrison’s…lovely place.

My vote goes to the S&C at Worth, always a pleasure to sit outside after a day pulling holds off the routes…

kevin stephens 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> st govans in, no question

Can we have a list of other pubs that still have pictures of climbers or climbing on the walls? 

kevin stephens 28 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

I'm surprised that the Golden Rule in Ambleside run by "Johhny Lockin" hasn't been mentioned yet.  Back in the day it was THE climbers' pub.  What's it like these days?

David Lanceley 28 Nov 2022

The Rule has hardly changed since the early 70's when I first visited.  They may have redecorated, there might be different carpets and the dartboard has gone but that's about it.  Food is limited to pickled eggs from a jar on the bar and crisps.  Still a great pub.

Dave Cundy 28 Nov 2022

> I'm surprised that the Golden Rule in Ambleside run by "Johhny Lockin" hasn't been mentioned yet.  Back in the day it was THE climbers' pub.  What's it like these days?

Beat you to it Kev...  Umpteen dozen responses upstream!  Sadly, I haven't had the heart to call in after it was rumoured that John was back to his old ways.

gimmergimmer 29 Nov 2022

Star And Compass Almscliff always seems very genteel. Either I'm missing something or is there another one?

jkarran 29 Nov 2022
In reply to kylo-342:

> Three Stag’s Heads in Wardlow Mires hasn’t been mentioned.  That’s a good’un

Oi!

Cracking place. Unfortunately many of the old school have died off or are otherwise engaged. John is still running a fantastic pub.

DC

Mike Conlon 30 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

For me, a favourite of many memorable nights in the ODG was a Wednesday of half term in October. The weather was grim but I had managed my annual solo of MFB before seeking warmth in the bar, prior to kipping in the car. As I entered, I was met by a throng, including families from the NT site across the way also seeking refuge from the elements. The fire was on and before it were several unrelated dogs steaming away. Occupying more of the limited floor space were half a dozen newly acquainted kids who were taking turns to run their toy cars down the sloping floor. A wild camper was guarding the corner table. Explaining to non-regulars that it was reserved for " the band". I clambered over dogs and kids and bought a pint of staff recommended beer and an enormous slab of "fly pie" for my next day lunch. I squeezed into one of the stalls next to a young man incongruous in office wear who was doing the Times crossword. In no time, his border collie shifted round and lay over my feet warming them nicely. A diverse number of instrument laden individuals drifted in and congregated around the corner table, I was now onto my third pint. Noticing that my neighbour of the crossword was drinking at the same rate as me. I decided that I would offer him a pint on my next trip to the bar, we had yet to exchange words. The musicians were by now in fine voice with the audience joining in as appropriate. I was just about to head to the bar when my neighbour got up and asked if he could get me a pint, without hesitation I accepted. We then talked of our reasons for being there. We agreed on the merits of MFB and he explained that he was on an annual pilgrimage, honoring his father who had introduced him to The Lakes many years earlier. We twice each reciprocated trips to the bar and I shudder to think how he was going to get get back to his tent in the Duddon Valley! It seemed entirely natural that we should meet next morning at the Three Shires Stone up Wrynose, before completing a route on Black Crag in the lashing rain. The point of this story was that despite the recumbent dogs, sprawling kids, etc no-one gave a monkey's and to paraphrase Bill Bryson it was because of that , that I knew why I loved this country.

PS, I  am also a fan of The Star in St Just, but that's another story.

ripper 30 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

ODG for me too, when the old Yates's Bitter was still a thing. 

Square and Compass is a great pub and definitely among my favourites but I've never thought it particularly climbery

Cornish boy 30 Nov 2022
In reply to John Gresty:

> In the Kingshouse bar, many years ago, and moaning about the weather, (2 days of solid rain) when the barman said 'The ben will be in good nick tomorrow' and he was spot on….

> Last time in there a few years ago, definately a different vibe,

> John

My mate and I called in there for a couple of pints during Feb half term earlier this year. The climbers bar wasn’t even open and the hotel bar was really quiet with no atmosphere whatsoever. They’ve spent loads of money on the place and it’s been done really nicely, but the Clachaig is far better for atmosphere. 

Post edited at 21:08
 oscaig 30 Nov 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Agree - the Clachaig can still be fun on a busy February night when when stuff in the Glen is in good nick.  But that aside, even as a Scot myself, I don't think there are other good climbers pubs in Scotland.  The Nevis Bar always felt like what it is - a slightly grim basement.  I have some good memories of the old Kingshouse climbers bar but it was a bit of hole to be honest.  And then there's the extended Sligachan...  Agree with some others on here though that some of the best post-climbing pubs (not 'climber's pubs' as such) are in the west country and well situated for after a day on the rock and have had some good evenings in the Bush in Morwenstow and the Logan Rock in Treen.    

Toccata 30 Nov 2022
In reply to oscaig:

For me the Clachaig was ‘it’ in 1993. An eclectic group had gathered in a snowy Jan or Feb weekend for low grade fun with parties on the Aonach, Crowberry Gully and Sron na Larig. The agreement was made to pitch in the Red Squirrel and meet for beer in the Clachaig. We were late off the Buchaille due to navigation issues in heavy snowfall descending Curved Ridge. A slithery drive down the Glen, boil in the bag rice and off to get pished. The snow didn’t stop and we were one of many groups blown through the door. Place was heaving, one of those nights you find yourself in conversation with loads people you’ve never met, everyone buzzing from the conditions on the hills. Many Gore Tex jackets hung in front of the fire or on the ‘tree trunk’ post (is it still there). Then Blackeyed Biddy started playing. Carnage ensued. We all got booted out sometime between 2 and 3am, singing Corries songs one they way back through 15xm snow. 

Quite why we though Clachaig Gully was a good ideas the following morning I’ll never know, but that’s another story.

I have also realised despite maybe 40 or 50 nights drinking in the Clachaig through the 80s and 90s, the above night was the last time I ever went in. 

The barman in the Kingy you can't remember the name of? That would be my mate Eddie Jones. And yes, he was a nutcase. He somehow acquired an Italian repeat action shotgun called a Spaz of dubious legality which he demonstrated to me one hungover morning by firing it repeatedly at a 30 ft pine tree in the carpark until he had cut the thing in half. Sadly passed away last year. Great bloke. Great times. 

Post edited at 00:18

Was in the Golden Rule a week ago and had a great chat with John who is still the landlord. And its still a great pub

Post edited at 00:18
 PaulTanton 02 Dec 2022
In reply to Chris H:

yep, many a good post Almscliff pint in the Hunters.

the old cock in Otley is a nice pint. Trev’s bar used to be a good night, if you could withstand the verbal abuse from Trev, not to mention his fancy dress. Come to think of it, it was only climbers daft enough to go in there. 
Sadly it’s an Alcispoons now. 

kevin stephens 02 Dec 2022
In reply to colin struthers: Good to know Colin. We must have a post climb pint there sometime

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Hardly a climbers' pub.

Funny that, I heard last night there were at least a dozen climbers if not 15 or so in there on a typical Friday when they were all counted up, and that was just one night of the week.

DC

Rob Parsons 03 Dec 2022

> Funny that, I heard last night there were at least a dozen climbers if not 15 or so in there on a typical Friday when they were all counted up, and that was just one night of the week.

I made it 11 and a half, mate. Recount!

In reply to colin struthers:

The Golden Rule was always one of my favourites.

mrjonathanr 04 Dec 2022
In reply to colin struthers:

The Moon, Stoney Middleton. Aged 17 I’d hitched to Stoney on Friday night assuming I’d find someone to climb with. Went to a warm pub intending to nurse a half a bitter before turning in for the night underneath Minus Ten. 

The pub was full -with a motorbike club from Derby, all wearing those cheap plastic Viking helmets which made them look like Obelix. They insisted I join in the fun, bought me beer, showed me how to magically suspend a pint overhanging the edge of the bar and stick pint glasses (with beer in) halfway up the wall. I’ll show you sometime Then back to the crag for a campfire, meat barbecued in tin foil in the embers and more beer. Awesome.

The climbing that weekend was great too.

deepsoup 04 Dec 2022
In reply to mrjonathanr:

So whatever the qualities of The Moon as a climbers' pub back in the day, your fondest memory of the place is as a bikers' pub.

meggies 04 Dec 2022

The Sir William in Grindleford has just reopened with a new name above the door and an extremely welcoming outlook

HardenClimber 04 Dec 2022
In reply to jbrom:

Always enjoyed my visits to the Ben Nevis Bar at Achintee.

Food, real ale and live music.

edhawk21 05 Dec 2022
In reply to veteye:

Personally, I like going to the Weedon Project as its go the Roman Way Brewery basically outside

Ewan Morgan 05 Dec 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

People seem to 'dress up' for a night out in the clachaig these days... oh dear

graeme jackson 07 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

> So whatever the qualities of The Moon as a climbers' pub back in the day, your fondest memory of the place is as a bikers' pub.

The proper bikers pub was just up the road. Was it the George? - memory's gone   I think it's gone now  We used to meet there on trips down from Northumberland. Always felt a bit cosier than the Moon and it was a shorter walk to windy ledge to doss down for the night. 

Foolow Mike 07 Dec 2022
In reply to graeme jackson:

It would be The Royal Oak, by the chip shop.

kevin stephens 07 Dec 2022
In reply to jbrom:

The problem is that climbers have gone soft. Back in the day we relished Cobden’s back bar with cold and cold running water. Nowadays we are more likely to walk up the road a bit for a posh meal at the Bryn Tyrch

deepsoup 07 Dec 2022
In reply to Foolow Mike:

This place?  Crikey, how far back are we going here?
Was the chippy already a chippy by then, or was it still a public toilet?
http://smhccg.org/poscard-collection/the-old-royal-oak/

I guess it had gone by the mid '90s?  (I spent a fair bit of time visiting various Peak pubs by motorbike back then, but don't remember that one at all.)

There are links on the right hand side of that page to some interesting articles btw..
http://smhccg.org/rock-climbing/rock-climbing-at-stoney-middleton-in-the-19...

Post edited at 18:21
 Richard J 07 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

The Royal Oak was the favoured pub for me and my mates around 1979-80, when I was spending a lot of time in Stoney (mostly in the Mineshaft cave).  Possibly we all felt that the Moon was too much the hangout of the climbing elite, which we were definitely not.  

When I moved to (an actual house in) Stoney in 1998 the Royal Oak was still going, but clearly on its last legs.  There was a mysterious electrical fire which the fire brigade arrived in time to put out, then a low key reopening.  We did our best to support it but the changing times were against it (the landlord resolutely insisted, "I'm not doing food, this is a drinking man's pub") and it only lasted another year or so before being sold and converted into houses.

Mark Kemball 08 Dec 2022
In reply to jbrom:

My favourite was The Swan at New Mills (sadly no longer a pub). Bob Upton who kept it was a member of the Rucksack Club and the MUMC were always welcome when we were returning from the Peak. 

pneame 08 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

fantastic links  made me quite melancholic and I only went to Stoney once and didn’t climb anything as I recall

graeme jackson 08 Dec 2022
In reply to Foolow Mike:

> It would be The Royal Oak, by the chip shop.

Yep. Just shows how bad memory can get. I've not been to Stoney since before I got married -  so pre 1987.  'Driving' up the main street on google street view it seems there's been quite a few changes. 

Have to say I never really enjoyed climbing there as much as I did on the grit edges. 

The New NickB 08 Dec 2022
In reply to 65:

The Newlands changed hands sometime in 2020. I visited in July 2021, nothing wrong but it was quiet. Be interesting to see if it has managed to get back to being a great little pub.

65 08 Dec 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

I've not been in it for a few years. Mrs 65 was in during the summer but she isn't really a pub aficionado. She said the food was good though. 

Foolow Mike 08 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup: My old house is on the right hand side of the picture you linked to:

http://smhccg.org/poscard-collection/the-old-royal-oak/

it’s the tall house on the right of the picture opposite the Royal Oak. Lived there in the early 1980’s. The chip shop was always there in my time.

deepsoup 08 Dec 2022
In reply to Foolow Mike:

>  The chip shop was always there in my time.

Ah, that's interesting.  I know it was originally a toll bar, but I thought it used to be a public toilet.  If that's true it must have been further back than I thought.  Or maybe the person who told me that was mixing it up with somewhere else.

Mark Kemball 08 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

I climbed and dossed at Stoney frequently from ‘74 to ‘84. The Chip Shop was there then. 

deepsoup 08 Dec 2022
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Oh yeah, I was definitely misinformed in that case. Thanks.

Foolow Mike 10 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Just discovered that the toll house which is a listed building was converted to a chip shop in 1926!

http://smhccg.org/listed-buildings/

deepsoup 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Foolow Mike:

Wow, that's a lot of chips!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...