UKC

Best easy climb in the Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 10 Jul 2017
Hi,
I'm looking for a great long route (Diff to HS) to take my son up next week. Needs to be in a reasonably straight line rather than a traverse.

Thanks for any help.

All the best

D

John Kelly 10 Jul 2017
In reply to David Coley:
Middlefell butress raven crag is very good
Post edited at 20:36
 Mark Eddy 10 Jul 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Hi David,

Here's a few ideas:
Needle ridge, Great Gable - vdiff. From the top walk under Westmorland crag and finish off with Pinnacle ridge.
Tophet wall, Great Gable - HS. There is a traverse on this. but I remember that section being easy, although rather exposed.
Arete, chimney, and crack, Dow - mild severe. This also has a short traverse, but it's easy.
Ash tree slabs & C route, Gimmer - vdiff/severe.
A link up of the Grey crag routes, Buttermere. Can be done at about vdiff/severe.
Bowfell Buttress - HS

Hope that's helpful
In reply to David Coley:

From memory - and it is, I'll admit, quite an old memory - rather than belay directly at the end of the traverse on Corvus, you can move higher so that you're pretty much above it when belaying such that the rope will run directly down to your second. It may make it acceptable for you.

Slightly harder, how about Pisgah Buttress Direct (S)? That's a proper mountain route to which you could add a roped descent of Broad Stand.

And at the top of your grade, Hopkinson's Crack (HS 4b) is joyous corner climb and pretty much as straight a line as you'll find.

T.
 AlanLittle 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Mark Eddy:

> Tophet wall, Great Gable - HS. There is a traverse on this. but I remember that section being easy, although rather exposed.

+1

Very much at the top of the range you're looking for, but absolutely superb.
In reply to AlanLittle:

Fabulous route though it is, pretty much two guidebook pitches of traverse (usually done together as one) stopped me suggesting it.

T.
OP David Coley 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...