UKC

Best place to stay in Kalymnos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 STWright 13 Jun 2013
I was wondering if anyone has any information on accommodation in Kalymnos?

I'm looking for self catering for two people. Preferably near the beach and the climbing with good facilities.

I've had a look online and for end of Oct/start of Nov 35 euros per night seems to be a good price, would anyone agree/disagree?

Also opinions on the best way get to Kalymnos would be very useful.

Thanks in advance, Simon

Motown 13 Jun 2013
In reply to STWright: Stayed here in Masouri - central, lovely views, hot water. The two of us were on the top floor - get that if you can. Thirty euros a night. Cooking utensils a bit limited and just had a double hob to cook but was still a good place.

Flew from Gatwick to Kos. Taxi straight to port (don';t remember name but taxi was fifteen euros. Six euro boat. Eighteen euro taxi to Masouri. Thought we'd miss last boat but waited for all folks from last flight.

Amazing climbing destination.
 Sal37 13 Jun 2013
In reply to STWright: Always stopped in Massouri, Apt's are about 20euro a night max. Its so cheap we ate out every night. will get you names af the apt's.
OP STWright 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

Thanks for the info. Can you remember the name of where you stayed, it sounds perfect!

I think that's what we'll go for, who did you fly with and which airport?

Thanks again, Si.
 Motown 13 Jun 2013
In reply to STWright: Sorry - meant to paste the link

http://kokkinidis-studios.gr/

Flew with Easyjet from Gatwick to Kos. We travelled from Devon, but was still easiest/cheapest route.

When there, got taxi to Mastichari (port), boat to Kalymnos (can't remember name of main port), then taxi to Massouri. We got there a night early, but that wasn't a problem and room was ready.

As mentioned before, we didn't think we'd get that evening's ferry but they waited till tennish so people from our flight could get on. You could definitely find people to share taxis with: just look for anyone wearing a down jacket - you know where they're going!
 Motown 13 Jun 2013
In reply to STWright: Lots of help here:

http://climbkalymnos.com/
OP STWright 18 Jun 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

Thanks again, the studios look perfect.

Would anyone recommend a hire car or is it a waste of money?

Thank you, Simon
 Si dH 18 Jun 2013
In reply to STWright:
Definitely a waste. We just wlked everywhere, there is enough in walking distance ro.last several trips. If you really wantto try somewhere a bit further you can hire scooters in masouri itself, which are ccheap.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Jun 2013
In reply to STWright:

Personally we always get a car, it makes getting round to Arginonda (where a lot of the lower grade routes are) easier, plus shopping at the supermarket in Elias saves about 1/3 off the bills (not an issue if you are eating out every night).
We always pick up hitchhikers!
We always use Mike Kardoulis: http://www.kalymnoscars.gr/index_en.html
He usually meets us at the harbour, which saves 2 x €17 in taxi fares.

Chris
 Skyfall 18 Jun 2013
In reply to STWright:

A car is v worthwhile if you're not on a particularly tight budget. Yes, people use scooters my g/f didn't want to and I don't really blame her. The distances to some of the crags are such that it makes life a lot easier. Otherwise you are forced to restrict where you go. Plus you can go for a drive around the island if you want (not that we found too much of interest, the "other side" is more industrialised - a bit of quarrying as you would expect).
 craig1983 20 Jun 2013
In reply to STWright:

Think I'll be heading out around the same time.

Other than the Studios linked above....does anybody have any recommendations on other digs in Masouri for 3 or 4 people??
 rockcat 20 Jun 2013
In reply to craig1983: Mountainside studios are great - 18 euros a night per studio with good views of Telendos.
http://www.mountainside-kalymnos.gr/page-_en
In reply to STWright:

I don't think you need to pay any more than €20/ night. All the studios will do deals.

We've stayed in Appolonia (above the sponge shop), Afroditi (up the hill above the church), and both were fine. About €20, but we heard people were paying €15.

Try to get hold of a guidebook and think about where you might climb before you decide to rent a car/ scooter. If you're staying in Massouri, anything up to Kastelli can be easily walked. This includes Grande Grotte, odyssey etc. Anything beyond that, as far as Emporios, we just took the bus. If you ask nicely, they'll drop you off exactly where you'd park your bike anyway,. Only 3 buses a day, but they're perfectly timed for a half or full day.

We only hired bikes on one day to go round toVathy. They would also be handy for some of the other distant crags. You can always just hire for the days you need.
 craig1983 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Richard Alderton:

Thanks for the info Richard. I've got the 2010 guide so I need to spend some time looking at the areas we want to climb! Contacted the mountainside studios rockcat mentioned above....they're free for our dates and are charging 20 Euros a night...could try for a deal since we'll be there for 3 weeks I guess!
In reply to craig1983:

Definitely try for a deal if you're there for 3 weeks. Alternatively, book for a few nights, and sort something out when you're on the island.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...