UKC

Best route over the Pyrenees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 07 Nov 2017
Planning a road trip from Calais to Madrid in May, which would involve crossing the Pyrenees.
What's the best, most scenic, spectacular and beautiful route, that includes a superb accommodation at a high point with views.
Any routes still closed that time of year?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Removed User 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:

Col du Portalet.

On the French side you have a sublimely peaceful and beautiful climb up the 'valley of cheese' (it's where Ossau-iraty hails from if you are into cheese), views of the Pic du Midi d'Ossau, and on the Spanish side everything opens out and you're into a drier, more alien and bigger sky landscape on a huge but very quiet road.

Accommodation options are a number of CAF refuges including the Pombie which may be an acceptable walk from the top.
 ian caton 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

45 mins to hut
 LeeWood 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:

But do you have a climbing or walking plan for this trip ? or is it just scenic ... from the carpark ? I can advise you of all the crags down the Luchon valley and thro Vielha ...

OP Fredt 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:
It’s just scenic, current disabilities exclude climbing or walking for the next few months.
 LeeWood 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:

In which case, for the french side you might get more value taking a leg E-W to traverse some of the bigger cols. Near us that would include Cols Portet-Aspet and Menthé. W of Luchon, cols Peyragude & peyresourde. Etc Etc

On the spanish side some of the higher refuges are more accessible with vehicle access.
Lusk 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:
Go via Barcelona then you go over the Millau viaduct en route.
I've got to go and go over it myself sometime.
Post edited at 20:52
 KA 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:

The Ordesa National Park is worth a visit. Car access into the main valley, then a nice drive round to the head of the Pineta Valley.
 ian caton 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Good route, we go that way to Calpe each year. Through west side of Paris, then great run down France over millau and massif central and down alongside the med. Over east end of pyrenees.

But, surprisingly, longer and more expensive (tolls) than going around west end of pyrenees.
 Tom Valentine 09 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:

I'm a big fan of Vallee d'Aspe so it would be Col de Somport for me.
 Toerag 10 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:

Don't go through Andorra - the roads sit so deep in the valleys you can't see anything. They're also full of traffic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...