UKC

borrow/rent guidbooks in Denver and Boulder?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tjekel 11 Jan 2020

Are there any places / library where you could borrow local topo guidbooks in the Denver/Boulder, Co area. As it will probably be a short one of trip, buying does not seem to make sense for me.

Thanks in advance, thomas

In reply to tjekel:

The American Alpine Club Library in Golden?

deacondeacon 11 Jan 2020
In reply to tjekel:

Guidebooks are often produced on a 'not for profit' or minimal profit basis. Show your appreciation for the work put into the book by putting your hand in your pocket. 

Martin Bennett 11 Jan 2020
In reply to tjekel:

Quick! Contact davenev, a contributor on here - he's selling EXACTLY what you want VERY cheaply!!! Scroll down the forums or search for him or his post title in for sale and wanted: USA Guidebooks.

In reply to Martin Bennett:

Those books are very out of date. Best bet is to download the Colorado data from Mountain Project. Many people use this instead of guides and it works ok 

Donotello 11 Jan 2020
In reply to tjekel:

i appreciate they’re expensive, I forked out £37 for a book for 3 days of climbing, but If you’re flying somewhere to climb routes that people have spent loads of time cleaning and making climbable for you (and spent money on bolting in some cases ) then putting £25-30 back in that local climbing scenes pockets is the least you can do. 

You can always pass them / sell them on after. 

pec 11 Jan 2020
In reply to tjekel:

Don't know what sort of climbing you're after but if its low grade trad there's a good selective guidebook covering that area called Front Range Trad. It only covers trad routes in the 5.4 to 5.8 range but it's very useable.

Type its name into ebay and it's for sale at £15 post free at the moment which is pretty cheap and as others have said, you can sell it on later.

It's also on Amazon for £19 (probably + some postage) but you can "look inside" it there to see if it would be of any use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Front-Range-Trad-Climbs-ebook/dp/B00VTT3B8...

Jack Frost 11 Jan 2020
In reply to tjekel:

On my one and only trip there, with the same quandary, we ended up spending an hour or so in the local Borders bookstore in Boulder transcribing route descriptions and topos onto the back of some receipts. It was 2001; I’m sure you could get away with a smartphone photo nowadays.

We also came across a helpful outdoor store in Laramie that let us borrow their ‘out-of-print’ behind the counter guidebook in order to take some photocopies in a print shop next door.

OP tjekel 12 Jan 2020
In reply to deacondeacon: I am aware that this is the usual way to do it, and meters of guidebooks back home are testimony I usually buy them. However, I am not on a climbing trip, but a work trip where I might get a weekend or even only a day at a place. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...