UKC

Brean evening parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james n 13 Jul 2018

Hi, I'm planning on getting some after work climbing done at Brean but where do you park if staying until it's dark? The national trust car park closes at 7 or 8pm i think.

Thanks

In reply to james n:

Last time I was there (several months back) they'd put pay and display machines (24 hour) in the car park (not the NT one) at the very end of the road behind the cafe. You can be assured it won't be cheap, however.

cornishben 13 Jul 2018
In reply to james n: Climb there frequently on weekday evenings and the NT car park has those one way exit spikes and it seems they only lock the entrance gate at 8pm.  We've hence frequently left at 9-10pm with no problems..

caveat: The sign does say the car park closes so don't hold me responsible if you do get locked in

Ramon Marin 13 Jul 2018
In reply to james n:

Park at the NT carpark, they leave the exit gate always open

Paz 17 Jul 2018
In reply to james n:

There is a so little used it's overgrown farmer's gate just before the mini roundabout.  Just saying.

DerwentDiluted 17 Jul 2018
In reply to james n:

No other cars in the way at this parking spot at Brean https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-44838036

In reply to Ramon Marin:

> Park at the NT carpark, they leave the exit gate always open

But sadly they have taken to locking the entrance gate before 6:30 pm (when I usually get there) so you cannot get in, despite the fact it’s 24 hour pay and display, so everyone ends up blocking the gate to the farmers field, next to a massive empty car park we would gladly pay to use. Anyone from the NT on here able to explain this?

Paz 20 Jul 2018
In reply to taddersandbadger:

>so everyone ends up blocking the gate to the farmers field, next to a massive empty car park we would gladly pay to use. Anyone from the NT on here able to explain this?

I think by putting the sign up, they have just given themselves the legal right to close the car park at that time if they ever need to.  e.g. In case of doggers.  Or teenagers in brightly coloured hoodies, with their energy drinks, and bluetooth speakers terrorising the birds in the aviary, having a negative effect on house prices (the horror!).

So while I too am quite happy to pay the reasonable price for the car park, I'm not going to pay it if it means they're allowed to lock me in and not let me out before sundown. 

It's a flat road though - ideal if you have a van or a cycle rack to bike in from further up.

Ramon Marin 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Paz:

Just to clarify tyo everyone the farmers gate parking is now blocked by blocks that the farmer is put in there. Also, most people parking there are not climber but fishermen. If you get there past 6.30pm you can park / doss by the layby before the pub, in front of the church. If you get there past 6.30 and you still want to climb and don't want to walk all the way from the layby then you'll have to park by the single yellow for the duration whilst you climb then move the car later I guess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...