UKC

Briancon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simplyawful 08 Nov 2021

Hello - I have a question for everyone:

Working remotely currently and looking at the possibility of relocating to the area around Briancon. Visited in summer for the Ecrins and liked the town, seems sizable enough to function by itself out of season (unlike most ski resorts), isn't actively unpleasant (unlike Grenoble), and well positioned for good things in both winter and summer (unlike Norf'umberland). If I did go, it would be soon.

I'd been idly entertaining the idea that the lower peaks, say the hiking peaks below 3000m, (cime de la condamine etc) would be in condition as winter routes, and accessible to someone like myself of very slight skill and experience (one summer trip, a bunch of scrambling in various places, indoor climbing).

On further research this appears to be a bit naïve - looks like there will be thick snow down to the valley in full winter, and above 2000m going to be skis or a nightmare until much later than that. I do ski, but its not my preferred activity. I suppose what I'm asking is whether winter in that area is solely about skiing, and how low would you have to go in the Alps for Scottish - English winter style snow routes, gullies etc. Alternatively how viable is ice stuff for someone not particularly well-versed in summer mixed?

Apologies for the rambling post - any general thoughts on Briancon also of course very welcome. 

Rob Exile Ward 08 Nov 2021
In reply to simplyawful:

Briançon is great, and I believe there's any amount of winter/ice climbing in the Romanche valley - I used to have a guidebook but I lost it I'm afraid.

OP simplyawful 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Thanks - Romanche valley is where La Grave is yes?

Rob Exile Ward 08 Nov 2021
In reply to simplyawful:

Yes it is; but I don't doubt there's plenty to do N, E and S too!

TheGeneralist 08 Nov 2021
In reply to simplyawful:

You lucky person. I love briancon.

Regarding ice climbing, I seem to recall there's another very famous area just down the road ..

Fressinieres unless I'm much mistaken.

Or Argentiers

Post edited at 20:32
OP simplyawful 08 Nov 2021
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Will look into it, thanks

Mike-W-99 08 Nov 2021
In reply to simplyawful:

I've never been in winter either only summer but winter looks great. https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=145585 is your man on the forums.

chris_r 08 Nov 2021
In reply to simplyawful:

I was expecting a thread discussing a conference of Brians.

Martin Hore 08 Nov 2021
In reply to simplyawful:

Went to the Briancon area for an ice-climbing week a few years ago. It was excellent. Ceillac has roadside ice climbing very accommodating for relative beginners - eg "Holiday on Ice", And you can progress onwards from there.

Martin

Stairclimber 09 Nov 2021
In reply to simplyawful:

Briancon is just a fantastic place to live, with stable weather, but bear in mind the post Brexit conditions for a prolonged stay.

In winter, skiing does dominate, but consider half day ski touring as an option rather than the pistes to replace UK peak bagging. Not really something to do on your own but easy to find people to go with. Contact Badmarmot on here for access to some inspiational info.

The local CAF are very welcoming. Snow shoeing is popular too and the ice climbing convenient on generally thick ice, sometimes next to where you park the car. People rock climb throughout the winter indoors and outside and the coast is just over a 3 h drive away for Calanques or Finale.

mike123 09 Nov 2021
In reply to simplyawful: having spent a lot of time ski ing and climbing all over France over the years if I was to pick a place  to go and live or spend a lot of time it would be briancon . Go . Work out how to go out to play when you are there . 

Post edited at 11:13
OP simplyawful 09 Nov 2021
In reply to Stairclimber:

Thanks for the full and detailed response. 

I should add the complicating factor is I don't have a car currently - would be looking to get a second hand one quickly on arrival as imagine its quite limiting.

In reply to mike123:

Will do

mutt 09 Nov 2021
In reply to simplyawful:

Sure is a lot to do from Briancon it is the gateway to the ecrins which is a famous ice climbing venue. Very pretty area too as it retains many of the traditional alpine houses that combing animal winter accomodations under housing under hay loft.

Stairclimber 09 Nov 2021
In reply to simplyawful:

Glad to offer info. I've been living here 12 years.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiam but you can't just up sticks and live in the EU anymore. The expense of second hand cars is really high here, but that's an essential, as is health care, insurance, language skill and income. You may have missed the boat thanks to Brexit, but it's a great place for a holiday if you can prove you are fully vaccinated. 

In reply to Stairclimber:

I'm fine re EU status (dual) and language skills are around B2 so should be workable. I believe I qualify for their version of the sole trader setup also so once the innumerable hoops are jumped I should be covered on social security etc.

Second hand cars are ludicrously expensive in France. 150k+ milage stuff for 6 / 7 thousand seems to be the norm, no prospect of financing. As you say though, probably essential for anything but the shortest of trips. 

In reply to simplyawful:

Hi, I live just down the road form Stair climber, about 20 mins from Briancon.

As point out its mainly ski touring in the winter months, with gullys and couloirs becoming ski lines. There are some mixed and ice lines higher up, but access is the issue the snow is too deep to just walk in, you could get a way with snowshoeing but its slow going. You would be better learning to ski at least just to access.

There is lots of valley ice cragging with easy access, if your looking to improve your skills there is an ice climbing festival in Jan, with courses and guiding.

From Feb onwards you can normally rock climb quite often on the sunny facing crags. 

best thing is just to come out and learn to ski tour, and use that to access stuff or learn to ice climb, although the season can be quite short.

I have a free online ski touring guidebook for the area ecrinscollective.com

feel free to drop me a line if you have questions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...