UKC

Briancon Climbs - new version worth getting?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ewanjp 09 Jul 2020

Hi all - I see that there is a new version of the Briancon Climbs guidebook out. I've got the last version, and was wondering if it's just a reprint or whether there is anything significantly new in it?

Most interested in the very low grades, as my wife and I were never that good to start with, and we've not climbed for almost 6 months now!

In reply to ewanjp:

Hi,

JJ has added a few new venues in the latest guidebook, it kind of depend what you mean by easy? There is around 5/6 new venues, off the top of my head there is two that have routes in the 6's and 5's. probably best to nip in a shop and have a look at one and see if those venues will work for you.

Also remember if you do get a new one your helping the bolt fund, and I know JJ is working on new venues for the next one. also this guidebook is better as it has more photos of me in it  

cheers

OP ewanjp 09 Jul 2020
In reply to ewanjp:

Cheers - by easy I mean 5s! Good point re: the bolt fund. We've been quite a few times now to Briancon, so probably owe some pennies!

In reply to ewanjp:

For 5's Puy Chalvin has three (it has shade to) and Rocher de l'Ombre has 3 as well, I think that it, most of the other new sectors have harder routes on them.

cheers

BruceM 09 Jul 2020
In reply to ecrinscollective:

I thought that the more recent version was slightly harder to read for aging eyes than the blue 2015 version I have (when I checked it last year)?  Can't remember why I thought that, might have been smaller fonts in the topos? Or glossier pages or something... Could be misremembering though -- but this seems to be the case for many new editions of guidebooks.

In reply to BruceM:

Just had a look at both books, most of the text seams to be the same size, but it feels a thinner book so maybe some has changed on some pages. It does feel glossier so it might be than.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...