UKC

Bristol Esoteric guide help on Huntsham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oogachooga 30 Aug 2022

Just trying to sort out a few loose ends at Huntsham on the log page. Can anyone let me know which problems are missing from the Bread Pudding and Rift boulders, that are in the Bristol guide? Cheers!

The Pylon King 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Oogachooga:

While you are at it can you change 'Golden Bicep' to its proper name 'Ames Games'. Rich Ames did the FA of that in 2005 same time as 'Ames High' and 'Ames Low'. Cheers.

OP Oogachooga 03 Sep 2022
In reply to The Pylon King:

Thanks for the info!

I am not questioning you and believe what you are saying but I have to ask, was this documented in any guide? I dont see it in the Outcrops guide (2006), was it in the supplement or anywhere else?

Shame! Golden Bicep is an epic name for that problem!

Cheers

Post edited at 13:26
 The Pylon King 03 Sep 2022
In reply to Oogachooga:

There was an online guide at the time (2005), created by one of the team that were putting up the problems. A few printed copies were made, one of which was left at the crag but of course went missing. I downloaded the web pages back then but also managed to get a photocopy of the guide recently for my research for the Esoteric Bouldering book. So yeah unfortunately Dan Savory/Golden Bicep wasnt the FA, however good the name is.

Okay cheers, will change the FA and put in a / to avoid any confusion for the minute. 

A couple of questions... was it the sit start he did or standing (if you know).

Also, just to help me out today, if you have the Bristol guide at hand. Any chance you could let me know the rough line for 'Doss roof right 6a' (https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/huntsham_crags-404/doss_roof_right...)?

From the online description it goes to the right but if its what I climbed today, it goes to the left (if on the climb at the back of the doss).

Cheers!

Post edited at 14:02
 The Pylon King 03 Sep 2022
In reply to Oogachooga:

Sit start.

Doss Roof Right isnt in the Esoteric book, just the original problem which is called Alyxmas. Probably best you get the book as thats where all the original problems/names first ascent details are. Lots in the UKC database is historically wrong as the original info had been lost.

Can of worms by the sounds of it. Yes its probably easier just to get it, update the climbs and then sell on.

Alyxmas, so just to confirm then, that fits my description above does it?

Steve Claw 03 Sep 2022
In reply to Oogachooga:

If your going to copy the information out of the definitive guide, then its only fair you buy it first.

The Pylon King 05 Sep 2022
In reply to Oogachooga:

> Can of worms by the sounds of it.

Yes but worth getting it right.

Post edited at 23:09
OP Oogachooga 11 Sep 2022

Hi, if there are any more discrepancies, fancy adding them in on the database for me? Easy to 'add climb' or 'update climb info', just add a little note for me so it makes it easier. Cheers

FYI, found out the info on Doss Roof Right, takes a new line from under the overhang, traverses it and finished as for some f5. 

For anyone that's interested: I've also found a Climbers Club page (https://www.climbers-club.co.uk/routes/huntsham-crag-bus-stop-boulder-fores...) describing a few problems on the bus stop boulder. Will be updating this soon.

Also doing a free bouldering and climbing guide (alongside updating UKC) for the Forest of Dean, it's a new page but open for submissions of new or old problems: https://forestofdeanboulderingguide.blogspot.com/p/huntsham.html

There is a lot of new problems being developed around the Forest, I know David Cross is working on a new guide/update, props to him for the hard work there.

Post edited at 10:10
 The Pylon King 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Oogachooga:

> For anyone that's interested: I've also found a Climbers Club page (https://www.climbers-club.co.uk/routes/huntsham-crag-bus-stop-boulder-fores...) describing a few problems on the bus stop boulder. Will be updating this soon.

Yeah they are all in the Bristol book.
 leland stamper 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Oogachooga:

TBH I wouldn't trust what's written on UKC. I'd buy the guide book(no you can't borrow mine) and verify what you are moderating. Jus' sayin'

OP Oogachooga 18 Sep 2022
In reply to leland stamper:

You guys are really intent on me buying the Bristol book aren't you? 

Smells like a little brigading going on here...

A lot of stinky attitudes as well, when all I was after is a little help sorting out the position of problems on one boulder at Huntsham. 

Moderating the logbooks isn't a paid position, it's a way of giving back a little bit to UKC for providing such a great free platform over the years. Also to help out the climbing community that may not want to buy every guidebook under the sun just to visit an area for the weekend.

The Bristol guide gets plenty of free press on UKC databases by being linked to crags and climbs, maybe worth remembering that. 

In reply to Oogachooga:

Just a neutral perspective - it’s a bit hypocritical asking people for info but not wanting to pay for their guide. It’s a great little guide, if you climb a lot in the area why not support it? Plus, it helps with those who are developing the area.

It’s not like climbing guides are a public service, if you want UKC to be accurate then buy the guide rather than trying to take away from those who have bothered to go and document/ photo the problems. You can’t have it both ways - either you want their wisdom (routes/ names/ beta etc) or you don’t, you can’t say you don’t want the guide but want all their knowledge to share with the public! PS not affiliated with any of the guidebook producers in any way. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...