UKC

/ British couple die in Egypt

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Trangia on 24 Aug 2018

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/23/british-couple-die-egypt-red-sea-resort-hurghada/

Tragic.

About 10 years ago my ex and I had a holiday in a "luxury" hotel in Taba, Egypt on the Gulf of Aqaba. On the second day we were both struck down by the most horrible V & D either of us have ever experienced before or since.  It was so bad and frequent that one or the other was always on the loo and the other one had no option but to vomit/shit into the bath. It was all we could do but to crawl from the bed to the bathroom and back every few minutes.  We subsequently learned that a large number of other hotel guests had been similarly struck down, and we carried on feeling very under the weather for several weeks after our return.

I remember that the hotel management were very keen to play it down, and when on my return to the UK, I wrote to the head office of the hotel chain they kept emphasising how well trained in hygiene their staff were, even though we had witnessed them doing nothing to stop a number of other guests from an adjoining country, rinsing out their children's nappies in the main swimming pool.....

Nothing would induce either of us to ever holiday in Egypt again.

Rigid Raider - on 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Trangia:

I suffered the same in the Karachi Sheraton. Couldn't believe so much hot water could come out of my body. 

marsbar - on 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Trangia:

It was heart failure according to the BBC.  

Ex Poster 666 on 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Sounds like you, and your fellow 'luxury' guests, have got  weak constitutions.  We roughed it around Morocco early/mid 80s, eating all manner of goodness knows what, and not a hint of gut trouble.

> we had witnessed them doing nothing to stop a number of other guests from an adjoining country, rinsing out their children's nappies in the main swimming pool.....

Disgusting filthy foreigners!

Rigid Raider - on 01 Sep 2018
In reply to Ex Poster 666:

That's a light-hearted reply to a serious topic. After 35 ears of export travel around Africa and the Middle east I've learned that hotels are the worst culprits for food poisoning; food is mis-handled and stored and re-heated and left out on buffets at blood temperature so if you eat from the buffet you will almost certainly get a tummy bug. By contrast street food is usually cooked and consumed quickly so there isn't time for bacteria to grow.  

Phil Murray - on 06 Sep 2018
In reply to Trangia:

My Dad & his partner booked an expensive new year's break 1992-3 in an "decent" Egyptian hotel. My Dad fell ill there, the consensus was that it was from a dirty shower head, or contaminated water supply to the bathroom; it was suspected Legionnaire's.  

On return he had changed from being a sprightly 59 year old to a crippled (heart damaged beyond repair) "old" man, with a walking stick, & he died 10 months later aged 60.

Beware "decent" hotels in Egypt. I will never go there. You're better off in a cheap/cheerful places; for reasons including those posted above. 

Jenny C on 06 Sep 2018
In reply to Phil Murray:

Probably been to Egypt 6 or 7 times and only once had tummy trouble. 

The worst illness I have encountered abroad was when self catering in the USA. 

Rigid Raider - on 06 Sep 2018
In reply to Trangia:

I went to Egypt once for 36 hours and couldn't wait to get out, it was filthy, chaotic and incredibly noisy. Syria was much nicer and people more courteous.

baron - on 06 Sep 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> I went to Egypt once for 36 hours and couldn't wait to get out, it was filthy, chaotic and incredibly noisy. Syria was much nicer and people more courteous.

I'm presuming your Syrian visit was a while ago!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.