UKC

buying a home in aski resort with great climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbercool 30 Mar 2018

So me and my partner are looking to move back to Europe and try to buy a small apartment to rent out occasionally and live in for part of the year, we have a relatively small budget, around 150,000 Euros.  We would love to get a beautiful place close to great skiing that also has good climbing in the summer.  Basically which ski resorts also have good climbing nearby?

Doug 30 Mar 2018
In reply to climbercool:

Do you mean rock climbing, alpine climbing or both for the summer ? Chamonix would be an obvious choice but not sure what you would get for your money there. I'd be tempted by Briançon or nearby (with Serre Chevalier on the doorstep, plus several other ski resorts close by) but there's plenty of other options. Is easy travel to/from the UK important for you ? could be a deciding factor.

estivoautumnal 30 Mar 2018
In reply to climbercool:

Fort William.

john arran 30 Mar 2018
In reply to climbercool:

Sounds like skiing is the higher priority over climbing for you, but if it were the other way around then here in Ariège would be certainly worth considering. The climbing is extensive, year-round, very accessible and very diverse. The skiing is lower altitude than the Alps so the season will definitely be shorter (Christmas to mid-March typically at Ax-les-Thermes, the best of the local resorts) but Andorra skiing is as little as 45 mins away from us by car, and if you were to be based in or near Ax that would drop to half an hour.

ripper 30 Mar 2018
In reply to climbercool:

If the climbing you want is summer rock, how about somewhere in the Dolomites? Not sure what you'd get for that budget though...

In reply to climbercool:

Hi 

I live 30 mins from Briançon, quite a few ski resorts near by, Serre Chevalier, la Grave, Montgenevre and Puy St Vincent plus a few smaller reports in the Queyras.

The rock climbing is very good to, with over 80 crags many have more than one sectors, 5 different rock types, single and multi pitch.    

Let me know if you would like more info.

cheers Rob

summo 30 Mar 2018
In reply to climbercool:

> .... around 150,000 Euros. ...... Basically which ski resorts also have good climbing nearby?

You won't be at the budget end of the market with your requirements, but with a 150k deposit you will be fine. 

iknowfear 30 Mar 2018
In reply to climbercool:

nothing in switzerland for sure... 

Stairclimber 02 Apr 2018
In reply to climbercool:

I live in Serre Chevalier and climb/ski with Bad Marmot . 100k will get you a studio that sleeps 4 people in the ski resort , which would be good for ease of renting out and less hassle when you want to ski and the Snow has been falling. You will drive to loads of crags or ice within about an hour's radius. The more you are willing to drive out and the less likely to rent out will provide much better value for money in terms of size of apartment. A friend has recently bought quite a large house in St.  Crepin, between the ski resorts of Vars and Serre Chevalier, for your amount, but needs to modernise it. The area is a dream base for climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...