UKC

California/LA/Yosemite/Joshua Tree in December

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

It looks like I'll be going to LA with work in December and I should be able to take a few days holiday at the end of the trip - so the week before Christmas. I'd consider trying to get to Yosemite or Joshua Tree or somewhere like that for some walking, bouldering and sight seeing etc. rather than staying in LA, but I would be a solo traveler at this point and I'm not sure about how easy it would be to meet anyone else bouldering in December or if the weather would even be suitable for doing much? This is all assuming the fires are dealt with by then too.

So I guess my question is if you were in my position what would you do? Any advice would be great!

In reply to BoredTired&Lazy:

J Tree is closer to LA and will very likely have better weather. Should have no problem meeting people at Hidden Valley campground, or the boulders. I imagine you can hire pads at Nomad Ventures in J Tree. Not sure what the scene is like in the Valley around then, but probably pretty quiet. Obviously Yosemite is more spectacular, but J Tree is also cool and you can do some hikes etc too. Doing both is possible, but quite a bit of driving, and climbing in Yosemite could be more hit and miss, although you could still probably hike / look around. If its just for a few days and you want to boulder, I'd go to J Tree.

tjekel 15 Nov 2018

I'd suggest red rocks - not in california I know, but probably still closer to LA than yosemite. And warmer.

rpc 15 Nov 2018

Have not been but this looks pretty nice for bouldering:

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105791148/mount-woodson

...& depending on where exactly in the LA area you'll be located, might be closer than Jtree.

pasbury 15 Nov 2018

Go to J Tree. Stay in hidden valley, you will meet people for bouldering or routes and the weather will be really really nice I guarantee!

Bring your own water though. I highly recommend the experience of staying there.

It’s a magical place.

disclaimer: it was 25 years ago when I last went.

Toerag 16 Nov 2018

I suspect Yosemite / Needles are too cold/dodgy weatherwise but you'd be foolish not to see it if you're over there. Assuming you're driving, find out when the passes over the Sierras close, that could well effect your plans.

Jtree is an easy place to meet other climbers in the winter. It is where many Californians (and other Americans and other nationalities) go to climb when it is too cold or snowed-in in Yosemite, Needles etc. It is generally a very user-friendly place to climb, with a vast choice of climbs across all grades. With a bit of planning it is usually possible to find crags facing into the sun, out of the wind etc, and get a lot done even during the relatively short winter days. But it can snow and be quite windy at Hidden Valley camp ground.

GDes 16 Nov 2018

I'd head to Bishop. World class bouldering  

Offwidth 17 Nov 2018

I've been to JT over ten times in December and its always been great for trad and bouldering. Try the Mountain Project website for partners as well as asking those on the campgrounds. You can hire mats from JT outfitters. I aways stay in a motel in JT (High Desert who are good value and climber friendly) as it's a bit cold in the park at night. Red Rocks and Bishop will all be good in December as well (but  a longer drive).

Removed User 17 Nov 2018

Honestly, Yosemite is about a 6hr drive over the flattest most boring country on the world and I suspect you'll be very limited in what you can do in December.

In reply to Removed User:

Well of course you are going to be bored if you ignore the topography and scenery in the last couple of hours of the drive.

Thanks for all the suggestions, all very much appreciated. I did ask my work about going through to JT at the end of the trip but it seems that it would have been quite expensive for me and ultimately I decided it wasn't worth it on this occasion so close to Christmas etc. I should get more opportunities in the future though, so I'll definitely keep all of your suggestions

pasbury 29 Nov 2018

You only live once........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...