UKC

/ Car Hire in France 10x cost of in Spain !?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Fakey Rocks - on 29 Dec 2018

Thinking about using Eurostar to Paris + TGV perhaps to Avignon, but going by what I saw available when comparing this with car hire available as add on to flights, with Ryanair to SFrance... Nimes / Montpelier / Marseille, and then adding car hire, + comparing this with flights to Spain... Barcelona / Valencia / Malaga, I was surprised to see really quite cheap car hire prices at around £1.40 a day for Spain, but then at ten times that, around  £14 again with Ryan air for adding car hire from the French airports! .... Is this right?

Has made me think I might as well carry on travelling ( by train) into Spain, as the saving from lower car hire prices will pay for the extra train leg to Barcelona!

Post edited at 13:03
nniff - on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

So who in their right mind is going to rent you a car for £1.40 a day?  If you take it for a week, their takings will barely cover the cost of parking the thing before and after you pick it up.  If it looks too good to be true etc.  On the other hand, £14 looks like a rock bottom price. 

HeMa on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to nniff:

Indeed. Some really small cars can be had for around 10 Eur a day from Spain or Italy. 15 onwards from France. And if it isn’t a big chain, then you’re playing blind Texas hold ’em. 

LeeWood - on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Not 10x. maybe up to 3x. Try to identify the contract companies which sub-let from the big names (Avis etc)  - works out a lot cheaper

marsbar - on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Check what is included.  Cheap advertised prices often have extras.  

However I expect Spain will be cheaper as they probably have more volume of cars and you are travelling outside peak season.  

If you do want to hire in France check town prices as well as airport prices.  

GridNorth - on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to nniff:

I hired a car last year in Alicante for £21.00 for the fortnight.  I thought it was too good to be true and checked and double checked but it was correct.  There were no extra, hidden charges and I normally take out annual hire car insurance to avoid being stung locally. 

marsbar - on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to GridNorth:

I guess they'd rather the car was out than sitting.  There are bargains to be had.  The insurance is often expensive so as you say an annual policy is good. 

1poundSOCKS - on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to nniff:

> So who in their right mind is going to rent you a car for £1.40 a day?  If you take it for a week, their takings will barely cover the cost of parking the thing before and after you pick it up.  If it looks too good to be true etc.

I've had car hire for about £2 a day. It worked out as I expected, no extra charges. Although I've had extra charges applied on a similar deal. But even then it worked out less than £6 a day. Still need to chase that up, so I might get the extra back.

Andrew Lodge - on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

Be aware that if you hire a car in Spain and want to take it into France they will charge you an extra daily fee of up to £10 per day.

Sometime buried very deep in the small print.

jimtitt - on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

When I lived in Mallorca years ago we used to get hire-cars for free in the winter, some rules about how many km they had to have on the clock before they could be sold as second hand and the VAT reclaimed.

Darron - on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

My record out of Alicante is £6.24 for the week. It was discounted from £9 though.

obviously there is something we don’t know about in the business model. Maybe as suggested above or maybe they try to make the money from add ons (insurance, GPS, child seats etc). I should also say I’ve paid £175 for a similar car in August. 

Post edited at 18:04
nniff - on 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Fakey Rocks:

So maybe it costs them less if it is out on the road than their cost of parking in low-use periods.......

In reply to nniff:

> So maybe it costs them less if it is out on the road than their cost of parking in low-use periods.......

Yes, good thinking.

Basically if Ryan air are saying £1.42 from various Spanish cities as flight add on, but 10x that if inputting French destinations, then it wouldn't seem like there'd be a catch to it for Spain, as I have used the same "hire firm"....Ryan air (flight add on) for the results.

Amazing prices though aren't they!

In reply to Andrew Lodge:

Doing the extra train leg to Spain to get the cheap car hire wasn't meant as a means to then driving back to France to climb, although that's probably not what you thought I was going to do anyway I hope!.... I will probably take the train to Spain to climb there, if the massive price difference for a week or 2 of car hire can make it feel like a free train fare into Spain, onward from the train stops i would have used for climbing in France. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.