UKC

Car hire Sicly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Murd 08 Mar 2018

Any experiences good or bad? Flying into Palermo, heading for the San Vito area

Thanks in advance

Chris Harris 08 Mar 2018
In reply to Murd:

I once got a bit queasy in a rented Ford. 

jimtitt 08 Mar 2018
In reply to Murd:

I got 100mph out of a Fiat Panda going down past Acamo

OP Murd 08 Mar 2018
In reply to Chris Harris:

Was Jimtitt driving?

earlsdonwhu 08 Mar 2018
In reply to Murd:

Be seriously aware that Palermo airport are bastards for adding extras onto rental agreements. Eg. Even if you have annual car hire insurance they will often add their own extortionate fees on anyway.

scott titt 08 Mar 2018
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

That has never happened to me in over 20 car hires at PMO. They can't add it if you refuse to sign for it.

In reply to the OP

I tend to use one of the car hire aggregators, recently auto Europe, and ended up with noleggio, who although much cheaper than the competition have been very fair. Avoid the off airport operators, it takes a long time transferring.

Ramon Marin 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Murd:

We rented with Maggiore, they were great and cheap, no add ons, got a Panda of course. I always have rental excess insurance so we didn't take theirs. Came in handy as I ripped a tire rallying around calamancina, they paid in full really quickly.

Brumbler 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Murd:

Hired a car from firefly, it was a long shuttlebus journey from the airport, and then an even longer wait, think it took nearly 3 hours to sort out picking the car up, and that was with an Italian guy to argue in his native tongue for us! The car was falling to bits as well so I'd avoid them if I were you.

trouserburp 09 Mar 2018
In reply to scott titt:

Auto Europe - Payless. Panda was £39.48 for the week plus the insurance I got from a separate online company

Payless there was no queue at the counter, opposite there was about 20 people queuing for some other budget company

nniff 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Murd:

I hired the cheapest little tin can with aircon we could get.  Turned up at the desk and then showed them an upgrade voucher I had from a previous hire.  They said I could have a Ford Focus or an Alfa.  A rental Alfa? Seriously?   The poor thing got ragged all over the island.  When we brought it back, my wife left her glasses in it.  We were standing at the check-in desk when the Avis guy ran up with them.  No complaints from me

Kean 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Which rental excess insurance do you use?

Ramon Marin 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Kean:

excesscarhire.com they were brilliant. They send me a form, I filled it in, full refund no questions asked in about two days, so fast. the full year coverage is about £30, totally worth it

OP Murd 11 Mar 2018
In reply to Murd:

Thanks all for the info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...