UKC

Caringorms wild camping spots with short walk ins?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 17 Jul 2017
Hello all,

We're heading up to the Cairngorms (Rothiemurchas) to camp with my stepchildren this summer, and one thing we've said we'll do is go wild camping for a night. I'll be looking at maps, reading blogs, etc, but please could I have any recommendations for good camping spots broadly in that area, with a short walk in (e.g. 2 or 3 miles, as the kids will be reluctant to carry larger packs any significant distance)? We'll have a car so can drive somewhere then walk in from there.

Many thanks in advance.
 Welsh Kate 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

One thing that might be worth thinking about is camping in the vicinity of one of the bothies - Ryvoan or Glen Feshie might be options, then you've potentially got somewhere to escape from weather / midgies if necessary.

Or Bynack Stable - nice camping spot near the footbridge, though a slightly longer walk in.
OP Tall Clare 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

A good point about midge refuges! Thank you for these suggestions.
 S Andrew 17 Jul 2017
Vicinity of Landseer's Bothy (Near L Geamhna)? Fairly level approach, handy cake shop on return to civilisation. Approachable by bike if required.

Oliver Houston 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

The MR station/old lodge on the way in from the Linn of Dee has plenty of space and a flattish walk-in. Looks like there's a bothy nearby:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cairngorms&oq=cairngorm&aqs=chrom...

You can park in a scrape about 1/4 mile beyond the p+d car park at the Linn of Dee, it's probably about 4 miles to the lodge, but there's plenty of spots from about 1/3 of the way in (flat valley base).
 Martin W 17 Jul 2017
In reply to S Andrew:
Isn't "Landseer's Bothy" the same as "Glen Feshie bothy" as suggested by Welsh Kate? It is properly called "Ruigh Aiteachain bothy" according to the Mountain Bothies Association:

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=57

Ruigh Aiteachain bothy is sometimes incorrectly referred to as Landseer's bothy. It was certainly in this area that Sir Edwin Landseer, the noted English painter, watched and studied red deer for his most famous painting of a stag, the Monarch of the Glen. However, it was in an adjacent building, now ruined, and not the present bothy, that he drew his preliminary sketches, including a fresco above the fireplace.

It's about 3½ miles from the car park. And a lot further than that from Loch Gamhna.
Post edited at 14:24
 fimm 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

This might be too far to walk, but; take the Lairg Ghru path, cross over the "Cairngorm Club" footbridge and not long after than you come out of the forest and into a bigger open space. I camped near to the river in this area in June; there was another group in the same area but far enough away not to disturb me.
I expected to be midged but wasn't...
 S Andrew 17 Jul 2017
I didn't mean Ruigh. Another one (erroneously?) described as Landseers, where I said it is. Smaller/more basic.

Mark Bull 17 Jul 2017
In reply to S Andrew:

Did you mean Drake's Bothy (aka Inshriach) at NH884055?
 S Andrew 17 Jul 2017
That's the one.

BelleVedere 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

Glen Feshie Bothy also kinda has a flushing toilet - which solves another outdoor problem (and the estate leave wood to burn outside)
 oldie 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

Once camped in small tent near loch in Coire an t'Sneachda ( eg flat ground near rescue equipment box). Very easy walk in from bus.
 olddirtydoggy 17 Jul 2017
In reply to Tall Clare:

Bob Scott’s Bothy sits at NO 042 932 and is very good. Places to pitch if you are wanting to tent it.
In reply to Oliver Houston:

The area near Derry Lodge has become very popular with large DofE groups and doesn't always offer a very 'wild' feeling. Some visitors have taken to shitting wherever they fancy, especially behind the Mountain Rescue hut. I'd suggest further up Glen Derry.
OP Tall Clare 17 Jul 2017

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - lots of food for thought.

S Andrew 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Tall Clare: particularly at the cake stop.

illepo 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

glen feshie bothy is currently closed
 TheGeneralist 18 Jul 2017
In reply to OP:

Be a bit wary of camping near a bothy with no toilet.

When we stayed at one bothy in the Gorms many years ago we made the mistake of collecting some firewood.

It was only once we'd carted it in the bothy and broke some of it up that we noticed the foul stench of shit.

Not much fun.

Martin W 18 Jul 2017
In reply to illepo:

> glen feshie bothy is currently closed

The MBA web site says the refurb work is due to finish "early summer 2017". How up to date is your information? (Asked purely in the spirit of seeking accurate information, not being picky.)
 Simon Caldwell 18 Jul 2017
In reply to Martin W:

The last MBA newsletter said the work was taking longer than expected and it was still closed
 Mike C 19 Jul 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

When did that come out? I was there mid-late May & one of the workmen reckoned they'd be finished in a couple of weeks.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Mike C:

Just received the latest MBA bulletin and it still says "Please note that at present Ruigh Aiteachain remains closed as the Estate renovation of the bothy is taking longer than expected."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...