UKC

Caution - Portland Caterpillars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dandan 12 Apr 2018

It seems it's that time of year again, the caterpillars are out and about on Portland!

I saw one or two last weekend but this week a friend said they were everywhere, she's ended up with a rash in various places.

They are small and hairy, if you see one on your clothes try not to use your hand to brush it off as the hairs will transfer to your hand and then onto whatever you touch next. The rash is really itchy and in my experience lasts up to two weeks!

Hopefully they will be gone within a couple of weeks but it's worth being vigilant until then.

IPPurewater 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Dandan:

Applying Calamine lotion should ease the rash.

Post edited at 11:53
 spidermonkey09 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Dandan:

I got this rash the first time I went to Portland and had no idea about the caterpillars. I got it on my lower back just above my waist. After a process of elimination where I washed my t-shirt, fleece and harness and the rash kept coming back, I worked out the hairs or whatever causes the rash were still on my chalkbag strap!

Post edited at 16:46
 Alex Riley 12 Apr 2018
In reply to spidermonkey09:

Applying sellotape to the area, then pulling it off (like a plaster) works quite well for removing hairs.

Adam Perrett 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Dandan:

Blimey. Didn't realise the hairy critters (the caterpillars, not Portlanders) would be about this early in the year. I seem to remember they are more of a problem on hot, still June/July afternoons (but I'm getting old and my memory isn't as good as it used to be (I think).

OP Dandan 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Adam Perrett:

You're not wrong, if you search back through old threads,  this topic seems to be posted about either in april/may or in August, so perhaps there are two seasons

dunnyg 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Dandan:

What colour are they?

Phil79 13 Apr 2018
In reply to dunnyg:

Brown tailed moth caterpillar. Brown/white and very hairy. You cant miss them when they are out in force.

Seems they are a recurring problem on the south coast.

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/15528624.___The_best_time_to_deal_with_the...

DerwentDiluted 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Dandan:

Do rabbits eat them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...