/ Chamonix in May

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Chubbard - on 12 May 2019

I am in Chamonix 18th 19th May. Can any recommend a long rock route at VS or HVS? I did initially think of Papillon Arete but, judging by the log books, May is too early. An approach that could be done in trainers would be preferable. Cheers. 

gooberman-hill - on 14 May 2019
In reply to Chubbard:

I would stick with the Aiguilles Rouges side of the valley, as it is lower, and sunnier. Maybe walk up to Les Cheserys Aiguilles Rouges and do - well pretty much anything. Routes to about 6a+ / 6b. 4-6 pitches, bolted with abseil decsents.

You can approach in trainers, but at this time of the year I would take the path up from central Argentiere (a bit more of a climb) rather than from Tres Les Champs, as it clears faster. I was up there a week or so back, and you could get most of the way up without crossing too much snow. Maybe take a pair of running crampons.

The good news is that it is probably a bit early for the infamous sandwich-eating bouquetins!

Chubbard - on 15 May 2019
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Great, thanks

Chubbard - on 15 May 2019
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Is it OK to bivy / camp up there?

gooberman-hill - on 15 May 2019
In reply to Chubbard:

There are some nice quiet spots around to camp or bivvy, especially if you are discrete. It's a long way from the pub though! French side Col de Monets bouldering might be nice (or 200m up the path to Les Cheserys from Tres les Champs), or at the bouldering  near Argentiere station

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.