UKC

Child-friendly top-roping in/near Portishead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rj_townsend 07 Jul 2019

Later this week I've been asked to set up a rope for a mate's little'un to have a clamber around in or near Portishead. It's not an area that I know particularly well, so am looking for advice on where to take them please. It doesn't need to be a "proper" climbing area - just somewhere where I can easily set up a rope and the child can have [reasonably safe] adventure.

I took them to Portishead Quarry last year but would prefer somewhere else please, as it was all quite loose there.

Thanks in advance - all recommendations gratefully received.

petegunn 07 Jul 2019
In reply to rj_townsend:

Maybe a bit too far away but there is a little 6m wall at the end of Split Rock Quarry where it is easy to set up ropes. Sometimes see beginners on there.

Split Rock (Milton Hill Quarry)

Have a look at "the bay" area there are a few mods and VD with a few harder lines as well. Easy to set up an abseil as well.

Post edited at 12:26
 nic dill 07 Jul 2019
In reply to rj_townsend:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/best_family_friendly_crags_near...

Not really top rope venues, but still some good ideas.  Further afield my favourite areas  (for taking my boy ) are Dartmoor or forest of Dean sandstone. 

Good luck

OP rj_townsend 07 Jul 2019
In reply to rj_townsend:

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks - much appreciated.

From looking at the Find Crag feature here, Strawberry Woods sounds like a contender - any thoughts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...