UKC

Cliff collapse near Weymouth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alex505c 15 Apr 2021

Wonder if this is any cause for caution for Portland climbing? 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/15/jurassic-coast-cliff-co...

Welsh Kate 15 Apr 2021
In reply to alex505c:

It's not near Weymouth, it's in west Dorset, and Portland is limestone.

johnl 15 Apr 2021
In reply to alex505c:

As someone who lives on Portland, the answer to that is yes, although I'm sure most never think about it. I'm just waiting for the main cliff at Neddyfields to collapse, tomorrow, in a years time, in 10 years time - who knows?

Iamgregp 15 Apr 2021
In reply to johnl:

It'll happen when it happens.  Just like the Texas and Boot flakes will one day fall off El Cap.  Could happen tomorrow, could happen in 200 years, we only know that it will happen one day!

ebdon 16 Apr 2021
In reply to alex505c:

The reporting in that article is woeful it's no where near Weymouth and is a totally differnt geological setting (where these sort of collapses are common, and why this part of the Jurassic coast is so spectacular!)

That being said cliffs on Portland arnt known for there stability....

Dogwatch 17 Apr 2021

It's near Bridport, some 20 miles west of Weymouth. Heaven help me, I'm a Guardian subscriber.

That section of coast is a playground for paraglider pilots and every few months, I get to hear another bit has fallen down. For climbers, not such a favourite.

Post edited at 13:21
OP alex505c 20 Apr 2021

Thanks for the helpful corrections, all.

As a side note, I assume that those who downvoted my post are merely expressing their silent, fuming disapproval of cliff collapses. 

TheGeneralist 20 Apr 2021
In reply to alex505c:

No, I think they're expressing disapproval about you linking the collapse of one of the most frequently collapsing mud slopes in southern England with the collapse of a cliff made of rock.

Could be wrong though, I'm not one of the dissprovers.

beardy mike 20 Apr 2021
In reply to ebdon:

I was down there on the weekend Tim, looking at I think just that section of it wondering how on earth it was staying put as it seemed to overhang and my brain couldn't cope with the concept of a cliff largely made of sand being overhanging. My geologist missus kept saying "but it's held together with Iron Oxide". Which didn't really help. It's like I understand the principles of Bernoullis effect and Coanda effect and laminar flow and all of that guff, but the fact that a boing 757 flies still blows my mind... 

Ian Parsons 20 Apr 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

but the fact that a boing 757 flies still blows my mind... 

Boing? That sounds more bounce-y than fly-y! Or is it rubber-band powered?

beardy mike 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Bahaha - what a typo!

Myfyr Tomos 20 Apr 2021
In reply to alex505c:

Just to show that North Wales is keeping up with newsworthy slides.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56817059

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...