UKC

Climbing & Ski touring from St Gervais or Arches Beufort ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 New Max 05 Dec 2022

I'm planning a Ski touring and climbing trip for March 2023. Initially I was planning on staying in St Gervais and making the most of the driving links to Cham & Les Contamines and the associated resorts.

I've been strongly recommended Areches Beufort (about 40K South) which  puts me out of the drivable remit of Cham and the others. 

Is there still potential to achieve some good Climbing summits based in Areches? 

I would be getting a guide for anything outside my comfort zone and most of the ski touring.

Please recommend climbs, guides, guide books, maps or just outline your findings of Areches Climbing  or similarly placed trips. 

Post edited at 18:36
 Doug 05 Dec 2022
In reply to New Max:

I spend a few days there in winter/early spring many years ago but unfortuately the weather wasn't very cooperative. We did ski the Le Grand Mont which was a pleasant day out & skied up to the Refuge du Plan de la Lai where we stayed a storm bound night before fighting our way back in a blizzard.

There are at least two guide books in French to ski touring in the area but a look at the IGN 1/25 000 maps which show suggested ski routes would give you an idea of whats available (on line at https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr , select carte topographic IGN )

DaveHK 05 Dec 2022
In reply to New Max:

Can't help you with your specific request but there are some really good day tours from Les Contamines.

philipjardine 05 Dec 2022
In reply to New Max:

Arêches is fantastic base for ski touring.  There are very cheap randonneur tickets on the lifts and lots of dedicated up hill tracks.  If you like Beaufort even better!  Frances premier ski touring competition is based there 8-11 March 2023.  There will be literally thousands of people there on those days (and before).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...