UKC

Climbing around Gap, Orpierre etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 genghis76 29 Dec 2018

Hello, my partner and I will be basing ourselves in the town of Gap for 2 weeks in July and looking for suggestions for making the most of our trip. We climb around 6a and 6b in the UK and would like to combine climbing with other pursuits such as via ferrata and canoeing if possible. We will be hiring a car so happy to go anywhere up to 2 hours from Gap. Any advice greatly received.

In reply to genghis76:

Hi, 
I live about an hour and half north of gap near Briançon there is lots of sports climbing there is over 3300 sports routes across 6 different rock types and loads in the grade range you are after, also there are quite a few shady venues and venues that are at a hight altitude so can be cooler if its a hot July., there is also a lot of multi pith sports routes at that grade to if you fancy that.

For via ferrata, I have made a free APP guide to the 26 routes north of Gap, most of them with in your 2 hour drive time, if you search for Écrins & Briançon Via Ferrata in app store or google play you should find. it gives you topos, maps, route descriptions and a interactive map for the parking, there is also a free leaflet from the tourist office which will cover the ones to the south of Gap.

for canoeing you are just south of the Serre Ponçon lake its the biggest lakes in western Europe and offers all sorts of water sports, SUP, sailing kayaking & canoeing and kite boarding etc, if you fancy a bit of river trip then the Briançon area has some of the best white water, with every thing for class 1 to class 5.

there is also some stunning walking in the Queyras and Écrins national parks, if that interest you?

if you would like any more info or advice about climbing, routes and venues etc or other activities, feel free to drop me a line here, or at rob@dream-trails.com

cheers Rob

IPPurewater 30 Dec 2018
In reply to genghis76:

These links may be useful to you

https://www.ffme.fr/site/falaise-liste.html?DEPARTEMENT=5

https://www.ffme.fr/site/falaise-liste.html?DEPARTEMENT=4

Ceuse isn't far from Gap. There is quite a bit to do at grade 6 there if I remember correctly. I also climbed at Sisteron, Orpiere and Sigottier while based in Gap for a week, mainly climbing grade 5 & 6 routes.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Dec 2018
In reply to genghis76:

Could be very hot and crowded at Orpierre in July. Worth considering Briancon, higher, cooler, quieter and with a huge amount of climbing,

Chris

1234None 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Worth considering Briancon, higher, cooler, quieter and with a huge amount of climbing,

Lots to do at Mont Dauphin at those sort of grades too - good little crag with easy access...a welcome change from all that granite slabbing in Ailefroide etc

Having said that I have been to Orpierre in July/Aug and it was fine in the shade...

Post edited at 17:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...