UKC

Climbing destinations without a car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NinaC 30 Nov 2020

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any recommendations of places to travel to climb (sport or bouldering) that you don't need a car to get around and that isn't too cold! 

Thank you in advance  

Post edited at 13:17
 TheGeneralist 30 Nov 2020
In reply to NinaC:

UK or abroad?

And when?

Post edited at 14:07
 Lankyman 30 Nov 2020
In reply to NinaC:

> Hi everyone,

> I'm looking for any recommendations of places to travel to climb (sport or bouldering) that you don't need a car to get around and that isn't too cold! 

> Thank you in advance  

Gogarth main cliff. If you have a boat.

OP NinaC 30 Nov 2020
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Either and we are pretty flexible with dates too. Finding it all very confusing with needed to organise a Covid test within 72 hrs of arriving

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Post edited at 14:52
 Wingnut 30 Nov 2020
In reply to NinaC:

What sort of general area? Might help if you give your base location on your profile ...

mutt 30 Nov 2020
In reply to NinaC:

Portland in Dorset, you might need a scooter or bike to visit all the cliffs but if you stay on the island you'll be literally ringed by sport climbing. It's climbable all year round having aspects in all directions allowing shelter from prevailing winds and also if the sun is shining some warmth or shade.

OP NinaC 30 Nov 2020
In reply to mutt:

That’s great thank you!

I have access to a car in the uk so that’s not too much of a problem however I’ve used up my eu cover for this year and because of my age I’m unsure I can rent a car abroad..

Post edited at 15:40
 JLS 30 Nov 2020
In reply to NinaC:

Kalymnos is the obvious answer.

OP NinaC 30 Nov 2020
In reply to JLS:

Yes I was looking into that. I’ve heard that it can be rainy season at the moment? Although probably a bit drier than the UK!

alan marshall2 30 Nov 2020
In reply to NinaC:

In the UK - Gower might work. There are buses from Swansea to Rhosilli and quite a bit of sport climbing. South facing. You might get lucky with the weather! Bonus of a Fantastic gritstone bridge in Swansea itself for bouldering......Malta could be a possibility abroad with bus/boat transport about the island.

HeMa 30 Nov 2020
In reply to alan marshall2:

Yeah, Malta is doable, but far from fun just on public transport.

Kalymnos (rent a scooter) is the obvious option.

But locales like Margalef, Siurana and Albarracin are also options. Getting to those locales with public transport is hard but afaik doable. And once there, a car is not needed (albeit in Albarracin, it will make things easier... but the walk in is also a good warm-up).

*Bleau is also an option.

Kevster 30 Nov 2020
In reply to NinaC:

El chorro? No idea about covid etc, but it's good for those with little transport

henwardian 30 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> Gogarth main cliff. If you have a boat.

Yeah, the sport routes and bouldering there are world class! :P

tjekel 01 Dec 2020
In reply to NinaC:

Orgon, fly to Marseilles, local train to the campsite, 400 routes within 20 minutes walking.

La Turbie, fly into Nice, get public transport to and accommodation in La Turbie and have 20-30 mins walk-in for some 500 routes.

Better weather than Kaly that time of the year. 

OP NinaC 01 Dec 2020
In reply to NinaC:

Thank you all for your detailed replies! 

OP NinaC 01 Dec 2020
In reply to tjekel:

Not heard of these places.  Thank you for the recommendation- I’ll look into it maybe when the restrictions are loosened 

OP NinaC 01 Dec 2020
In reply to HeMa:

I’ve been to (and loved) Catalunya / Albarracin (with transport.) 

Both times I’ve been to Bleau it’s rained! Maybe I should give it another go... when is the best time of year to visit? 

HeMa 01 Dec 2020
In reply to NinaC:

'Bleua... depends. I've been there in late Feb onwards, in blisterin' summer heat and also in the fall.

I would say that I liked it most during early-mid March. Sure, I think we got a few days worth of snow during that time, but not a deal breaker for the month plus we stayed there. But once everything was dry, it was nice, quiet and good temps (not too cold, nor too warm).

For shorter trips, the weather is always going to be a concern... bar the blisterin' warm summer, there is always a change of rain.

Oh, Chirinico (sp?) might also be an option, provided you find housing in the village. Cresciano also (perhaps).

Still, the general rule of thumb is that spring is for bleau. summer for magic wood (or daone). fall for 'bleu, Crescianio and Chirinico. And winter for Albarracin and the newer locale Alcaniz closer to BCN. This is for bouldering though.

Which reminds me, the Canary Island have some climbin' as well. AFAIK both sport and boulder. And I think the distances aren't that bad (A scooter will do, no need for car). Which might also be an option. Less change of rain, but definitely a late fall-winter-early spring location.

Lankyman 01 Dec 2020
In reply to henwardian:

> Yeah, the sport routes and bouldering there are world class! :P

Give it time

OP NinaC 01 Dec 2020
In reply to HeMa:

Brilliant, thank you.  Very useful! 

tjekel 01 Dec 2020
In reply to NinaC:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/la_turbie-3281

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/orgon-2061

Both have lots of stuff availlable at your grade range - mor than a weeks climbing each. Covered in both rockfax and local guides. 

OP NinaC 01 Dec 2020
In reply to tjekel:

Great stuff. Thank you!

Vigier 01 Dec 2020
In reply to NinaC:

Following up on tjekel’s suggestion of flying to Nice and taking public transport to La Turbie, you could also get by public transport from Nice to St Jeannet - loads to do there also, plus multi pitch routes.

nikkormat 01 Dec 2020
In reply to NinaC:

Geyikbayiri is possible; fly to Antalya, then taxi to one of the campsites. I stayed at JoSiTo last Christmas and it was fantastic; they can arrange transport from and to the airport, I think.

Carless 01 Dec 2020
In reply to nikkormat:

Josito will pick you up from the airport if you arrange in advance

Well, they used to - haven't been for a while

OP NinaC 01 Dec 2020
In reply to nikkormat:

Good shout. I’ve just been looking into Turkey - they don’t have any requirements for a negative Covid test either. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...