UKC

Climbing in BC - Squamish and Whistler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Blake 20 Aug 2021

Hello UKC Hivemind

I've accepted a job offer in Whistler, BC and will be headed over there in October. Does anyone know much about the climbing season there, where is good to find partners, top spots to check out etc.?

I'm planning on getting a car before winter really rolls in, but how vital is it to have wheels there? Could I survive a few weeks easily while I settle in or should a vehicle be high up the priority list?

Thanks!

Edit: I have seen the Squamish destination guide so more wondering about closer to Whistler to start with

Post edited at 11:53
 AtLargesse 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Tom Blake:

You need a car if you’re planning to leave the ski village area of whistler, but I suppose you could catch the bus to Squamish and walk to the chief or the smoke bluffs (is that place still open? There is much new housing development there that is destroying most of the climbing culture and closing a few areas). There is some lovey bouldering midway between called Pardise, but unfortunately most of Whistler is dedicated to skiing and there is not terribly much climbing. You hear rumors. Squamish is great all year, but it rains a lot all year. Tourism season for climbing is summer, sending season is fall, and good days come in any month. The Squamish Athletic Club has a training space and community, and there is a bouldering coop that I think still exists called the grand wall. Many local climbers use these and another gym in north Vancouver I forget the name of. Enjoy! It’s heaven there! 

ecarter 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Tom Blake:

The rock climbing in Whistler is OK but nothing compared to Squamish. There's enough to keep you occupied for a few months for sure. You'll definitely want a vehicle to get around unless you're really connected with friends who are willing to drive you around. Public transit is possible but is VERY inconvenient. 

Easy to find partners for the most part (Squamish Climbing FB group). 

The season is roughly May-September. It gets rather monsoon-like usually starting in Oct or Nov (though there are still plenty of awesome climbing days in Oct). Dec-April is ski season and the rock is usually pretty wet. A few dry days here and there are possible but better to ski. April/May can be hit or miss. The only bummer about summer is forest fire smoke though we're better off here on the Coast than the interior. 

Buy the Squamish Select guide from Quickdraw publishing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...